Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

I haven’t triple-checked, but I’m fairly certain those are not. Providing access to “expired” events is on the feedback snapshot – the June 17th one has it as #36 on the list with a planned implementation of “2021”.

Btw, I’m slightly sad to see that the Alaska Bush trip uses the same aircraft as the Patagonia trip. The “CubCrafters XCub” is fine from within the cabin, but in an external view it’s freaking loud. So loud that if I want to hear whatever podcast I’m listening to at the time on my PC, I have to alt-tab out and mess with the volume mixer in order to hear anything besides the engine.

That setting should take care of it for you, no?

South France is way more Evergladesy than I thought. The silly thing is, I’ve visited the Rhone valley pretty recently, but we never got to the coast. Arles was as far south as we got, which is apparently on the northern edge of this marshy area.

So jealous of the gorgeous clouds you get. Do you set a certain weather pattern, or was that from Live Weather?

The only thing I know for sure is that whenever I load a saved game, live weather gets changed to a clear sunny day with no clouds.

That’s on a bush trip, so I can’t control the weather. Not sure if it’s preset or live.

Speaking of presets, I discovered this the other day and have been using it a fair bit. It will create a bunch of random VMC weather presets for you. It’s nice to make 20 or so of them and pick an arbitrary one for a flight if real weather isn’t what you want at that point.

FWIW, I don’t think I’ve ever loaded a saved game. For bush trips, I just do a leg at a time and continue from the menu.

Woohoo, finally earned enough in Neofly to buy a TBM. Now I can do scenic bush missions in the 172 when I want, or speedy lucrative trips in the TBM.

Wait, what? When did Neofly add aircraft purchases??? I’m so far behind. Glad to hear that’s added. I’m also waiting for more updates from Skypark beyond simple flights as well. That’s progressing way too slowly.

EDIT: I see they are adding/added multiplayer as well. Wonder how that will work?

Enjoy it! I love the TBM, so nice to fly and insanely fast for what it is.

@Skipper yeah same, I’m not using Skypark as much as I used to because there’s little point in accumulating cash right now. Hopefully we’ll get some more features soon.

Having said that, if you’re going to do something else anyway, you could have Skypark on at the same time for the small gain; in case you didn’t know, you can specify an exact flight in the search filter and it will accommodate you.

Pretty sure it had them when I first started playing it, which was quite a long time ago now.

I know they are still beta but the lack of anything to spend cash on seems … strange?

Agreed, even the relocation fees don’t hurt. They are supposedly working on lots of features and will include fines and stuff…the sooner the better if you ask me.

As long as they don’t go overboard, that is. A friend of mine just started flying for an Austrian VA and their flight tracker is ridiculous. She gets penalised for ending the flight before the engines cool down enough, for example. That’s a little too immersive for my taste!

What’s the current state of VR on MSFS? I seem to recall when VR was first added it was pretty rough for anyone not on high-end hardware – I would be running on an RTX 2080 on an original Oculus Rift.

I’ve been spending a lot of time trying to get a better understanding of how flying actually works and going through Stick and Rudder which I saw recommended in multiple locations as a real classic on the fundamentals. I thought flying in VR might give me a better sense of what’s going on. The book really emphasizes how angle-of-attack works and how the pilot feels a sense of sinking or slipping as the direction of the plane diverges from where it’s pointed. But I’m not really feeling these sensations at all in 2D.

For those with more simulator experience, is moving to VR likely to help with this?

With the caveat that I’ve not flown VR in MSFS, only in P3D, the main thing I found that it improved (aside from the general “wow, I’m really flying!” feeling) was being able to more accurately perceive height above ground. You get a lot of depth cues when you’re landing from your 3D vision that go away when you’re in 2D, which can make landing precisely difficult. That got a lot easier for me in VR.

In the end I gave up on it because performance was meh, and my old Rift’s resolution was low enough that trying to look at gauges with it gave me a headache before too long. Still a cool feeling, though.

On another note… I caved and bought the DC6. (Had it for P3D and loved it, but for some reason wasn’t super-excited about its MSFS release. Then it came out and I had to have it.)

Just had a nice flight EBBR-LSGG. Most of it was in overcast so I didn’t see much scenery, and trying to time descent over the mountains into the VOR at the start of the ILS approach so that I didn’t have a CFIT, but also didn’t end up needing to descend sharply and go way overspeed on the approach, in a plane I’m not used to, using altimeter, VSI, and DME only, was a fun challenge.

What I was looking at on my descent.

Finally broke through the ceiling when I entered the valley.

Made for a nice final approach.

Gratuitous glamor shot:

Intimidating as hell!

I had the same thing over this weekend flying the RNAV approach into Kathmandu in the A32NX. Clouds were as low as 5000ft (runway elevation is around 4400ft). As if that approach wasn’t stressful enough!

Lovely shots @kaosfere . Happy with the DC-6 then?

Thanks! And yeah. I was pretty frustrated at first, because my first few flights all ended up with unexplained engine failure, almost always in the #1 engine. Posted on the PMDG forum about it, got a couple other folks with similar complaints. Seems like it might be related to the autofeathering. One guy said his brother had the same sort of problem, and the only thing they did different was that he always pushed cold and dark when it hit the tarmac. Whereas his brother was just loading in on the ramp and going right to the AFE’s pre-flight checklist, which was what I’ve been doing too.

So my last two flights I’ve made sure to explicitly set C&D when the plane loads, and on top of that I’ve disabled the autofeather system after the flight engineer turns it on in the before-takeoff flow. The two combined have made my last two flights trouble-free. Now that I’m not fighting issues, I really like it, yeah. The radials sound amazing, and I love going old school VOR to VOR at 20000’ with old birds like that. (Turned that optional GPS off the first time I got in it :D )

Next time I fly it I’m going to leave the autofeather system on and see if just hitting the C&D button is enough to keep it happy for me.

Shot from my second flight of the day, Olympic Air over Athens on the way to Rome.

Ouch, glad that’s sorted! Yeah they did a particularly good job with the sounds, that much is clear even on Youtube videos. I don’t think it’ll be long before I buy it too.