Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

I bet they just removed all the NPCs :)

All of it sounds insane. We have devs and other game folks on this forum. This game has been out just short of a year now. How on earth was it that unoptimized that theyā€™ve added faster framerate, less CPU use and less memory use while still keeping the display quality up? Like, did they leave the game engine in debug this entire time or something?

All I know is every time I load up this game I have a 10GB to 50GB download waiting for me. Hell I just downloaded the 90GB Nordic update and went to do one of the bush flights and the game said ā€œnope sorry, hereā€™s a 3GB download firstā€.

Sheā€™s a hungry beast, for sure. I think some people here were joking they need a dedicated drive for the game. Iā€™m hoping they were jokingā€¦ they were, right?

Well, as discussed above (and at length earlier in the thread), the sim as released does not take much advantage of multiple cores at all. So it seems theyā€™ve got some fairly big gains to efficiency by shifting some stuff (they mention glass cockpit instruments) to other threads. Not sure about the memory side of things, but it was clearly pretty unoptimised on that front given that it was threatening to eat up all of even 32GB systems.

Not entirely. I my install is 170GB, not including mods, or, I think, the rolling cache.

I still see weather affecting my framerate at times and I donā€™t think itā€™s (all) GPU based. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™s going to be better now.

I can definitely only install this game on my SSD. Itā€™s kind of a shame, I was looking forward to more SSD gaming with my new computer.

On the other hand, this game is amazing! So I actually donā€™t mind that I canā€™t install much else to the SSD. When itā€™s a game like this that continues to blow my mind in some way nearly every time I play it, itā€™s okay!

I meanā€¦ define ā€œneedā€? I could fit everything in my main installation onto my primary Steam library drive if I wanted to not have a bunch of other things installed, and if I werenā€™t an utterly shameless addon hoarder. But, even before I started keeping multiple installs around for work, I had it on a dedicated drive just so Iā€™d have plenty of headroom. (Not just for MSFSā€¦ itā€™s also held P3D and XPlane over the years.)

I guess I should tally up what I have as well. Itā€™s not a light install I know. But I have some other games that are greedy for space so Iā€™m not knocking it.

IUnderstoodThatReference.gif

FWIW, my Official directory, with all the world updates installed, totals 144GB. This includes a few Marketplace purchases, so the total ā€œcoreā€ content is probably somewhere between 130 and 140GB.

Which isnā€™t overly massive compared to the size of some of the top tier AAA games these days.

But then you all all the other cool content you can get on top of that, and, well. You know :D

I think the recent update reduced the core install by 40 Gig, unless Iā€™m misremembering.

Actually a quick Google suggests it was a much bigger change - 170 to 83ā€¦

Really? Granted I donā€™t play the likes of Battlefield, but Iā€™m struggling to think of any game I have that tops 100GB. MSFS meanwhile occupies 133GB on my disk. Itā€™s still by far the biggest game I have in terms of install size.

CoD these days is something like 140GB, I believe. But it is an outlier.

Itā€™s not unusual any more, depending what you play of course.

Fair enough! I havenā€™t played any of the games above MSFS on that list. Over 200GB for COD is insane!

You should see my DCS installā€¦ itā€™s nearing half a TB including the user files.

At least with MSFS, most of the game is not installed on our local hard drive until we start flying to that particular location. Thankfully.

Wow I have 6 of those games loaded on my drive! Hahahahaa.

*cries*