Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Iā€™m assuming even more space will be needed for deluxe content, add-ons, etc. Iā€™ve been pruning ā€œIā€™m going to play this, reallyā€ stuff and I can move other stuff temporarily to my external SSDā€¦.

I ended up getting an Storage Expansion Card in part because I figured Flight Simulator would need a lot of space. Also my internal storage as well as an external 1TB USB SSD are constantly full and Iā€™ve deleted a bunch of games and then wanted to play them again, which is a problem since Comcast has a data limit. So more storage is definitely going to be nice.

I am loving the DC-6. Just did Heathrow to Bristol without using the AFE at all. Seemed to go well, although I didnā€™t have engine failures on so Iā€™m guessing it would have been a different story if I had!

Itā€™s actually deceptively easy to fly once you get used to the layout, and the gyro pilot - halfway between fancy trim and a real autopilot - works a lot better than I expected it to. Iā€™ll probably fly very little else for a good while. Now, back to the manualā€¦

Isnā€™t it a great plane? If you go to then engine stress page on the tablet it will give you a convenient look at all the engine parameters and which are outside of normal ranges. Itā€™s really useful for getting the feel of how not to blow the radials up. :D

Yeah thatā€™s very handy, and itā€™s also the reason I suspect my flight would have been disastrous if Iā€™d had failures enabled. :) Usually some problem at every damn stage of the flight. I need to thoroughly read that manual, and continue watching the tutorial videos.

When PMDG first announced the DC-6 would be their first aircraft (in MSFS) I was very meh about it. How boring, I thought! But now I see the wisdom. Itā€™s the perfect balance between low level GA and modern airliners, with just the right mix of automation and stuff to monitor to keep you reasonably busy all flight. This will definitely keep me happy until they get their 737 out the door!

Edit: My only gripe, and itā€™s minor in the grand scheme of things, is some of the textures in the cockpit are surprisingly low res. Thankfully itā€™s only stuff like the padding and some of the text labels. Definitely minor, but I do notice it and I was surprised.

@kaosfere , apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but is the WT G1000 mod working on the Skyhawk? I think I installed it, but I donā€™t see any difference. The only other mod Iā€™m running is the mobile companion app.

No worries, I donā€™t mind helping. It should work on any of the planes with a 1000 in it. How do you have it installed? Main folder inside the zip file needs to go directly inside the community folder. Is that what you have?

The path is D:\Users\SMR Desktop 2020\Appdata\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages\Community\workingtitle-g1000-v0.3.7. Itā€™s not supposed to still be in the zip file is it?

Is it possible that itā€™s installed, and Iā€™m just not sophisticated enough to notice the differences? The lean engine page isnā€™t in there. Is there something else I should look for that will indicate whether itā€™s working or not?

Edit: Wait! There is another folder nestled within that folder! It is called workingtitle-g1000. I bet thatā€™s the folder thatā€™s supposed to go in the Community folder! I would try it, but I donā€™t want to wait for the game to load. Tomorrrow!

Yep thatā€™s the one.

Yep, thatā€™s your issue.

Youā€™re far from the first person whoā€™s had that problem. :)

Yeah, I had the same problem. In our defense, the instructions say to unzip the contents of the folder into that folder, not its subfolder, so I blame the instructions.

Iā€™m not quite sure what youā€™re referring to here. Youā€™re supposed to place the contents of the zipfile, which is the directory with the mod in it, into the community folder. Pretty sure thatā€™s what we have as instructions, but if we have text thatā€™s confusing somewhere Iā€™m happy to clarify it if you give me a pointer to it.

Oh sorry, I wasnā€™t talking about this one in particular. I was talking about the one I installed, which was the cardboard aeroplane upthread. For all I know, maybe that one is the only one with the bad instructions. Apologies!

You just need to clarify the readme, especially if Iā€™m far from the first person whoā€™s had that problem. :)

Sorry I havenā€™t checked in lately, but I havenā€™t had a lot to say. Iā€™ve been too busy flying my

ā€¦which I assume is an elegant expression of Schuremā€™s disdain for FS Economy and the like :P

Iā€™m kind of trapped in that same Elite Dangerous cycle of grinding for upgrades, but having fun with it!

Quarter to Three FSE Group members:

I have made some changes to the SA network. Louis Trichart (FALO) was being neglected as it was too far away from our hub, so I bought another airport to link it to. I also bought a Beechcraft C90 to fly the route - this is a paid addon but the plan is to sell it once itā€™s paid off and buy a Caravan or something. I bought these with my own v$ so the group cash wasnā€™t affected.

Iā€™ve also just leased a Caravan (itā€™s incorrectly in my name, getting him to change to the group), and am splitting off the FAKP-FAMU route from the hub so that there is a second route where some decent $ can be made.

Medium term, Iā€™m thinking keep an eye out for a decent hub in the vicinity (the one we have is so nondescript as to be painful) and also for <100nm routes to fly from it.

Exciting times in the rubber dogshit game :P

It was a quote from an 80s movie, kids these daysā€¦

@kaosfere, just out of curiosity, will you guys be adding OBS functionality in the G1000 in a future update? I noticed itā€™s greyed out but in the default Asobo version itā€™s available.

Not to the freeware version, that is going to be EOL shortly when the NXi gets its first public release. OBS mode will certainly be in the NXi, hopefully in the initial release, but if not then soon after.

(I should note that when I talk about the ā€œfreeware versionā€ or the ā€œopen source versionā€ Iā€™m referring to the one on our github. The NXi will be free to everyone who already owns the game, and will eventually become the default G1000 simulation. As for open sourceā€¦ thatā€™s TBD. :D )