Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

There was an update for the DC-6 today but I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet.

Nice screens! Quite amusing to see “Mr King Air 350” flying a C152 though ;)

Just a brief FSE update - the airport I bought last month didn’t have an ICAO in MSFS, so one of the FSE users created some scenery for us (this is FAPP in FSE, FAQR in MSFS):

Awesome. I’ve still flown quite a bit of King Air as well. I’m slowly working up cash for something, anything there. I need to hop down and take Ginger’s plane around that area. Do we still just have the one plane down there?

Also, let me tell you, I struggled so hard flying a damned straight line for several missions in NeoFly just because I’ve gotten soft in real weather without autopilot.

Ah, don’t feel obliged to fly down there; it’s no good if you’re not having fun. Neofly looks to be where it’s at right now :)

Everything is under control anyway, we have added a Caravan and a C90 and a couple of ok-paying routes to Ginger’s DA62.

I just flew my first daily exploration flight in NeoFly. Had I known how to do this, I’d have done it every day. This is the way to make the bank you need to get up to speed faster.

The hard part was it was in the Western Outback. There is NOT a large amount of airports out there. I had to really get creative at looking for a passenger flight that was remotely close to the area. Then I had to regen to find one with one passenger, then I had to get creative with fuel/copilot in order to still come under take-off weight budget. As it stood, I flew about half way through my pax flight, took a northern detour, found the exploration wreck and landed nearby, got 18 gold and took off again, and did a direct flight to the destination airport. I missed my landing/banking bonus because of trying to land there in the outback. I also missed a medical bonus because my single passenger got sick along the way and instead of diverting, I continued straight to the destination (an option,) and got the normal pay and points.

The good news is that the 18 gold it gave sold on the market for over a million dollars. That helped pay off my first loan with plenty to spare. I can start expanding a little bit.

I got hit by the goddamn live weather bug again this evening.

I’m not up to speed, what is the bug, Paradroid?

The railroad follows this frozen river pretty closely for many miles. Google maps tell me we’re traveling pretty closely to the border of Russia as I head northeast along this river. Short after the above screenshot the trees mostly disappeared, and the river became unfrozen!

I wonder how the game determines whether to freeze the river in the game? Presumably the data in Bing has got to be captured a certain time of the year. I wonder if it’s just a random time of the year?

EDIT: Woah, that was a short area with no trees. The trees are back baby!

There are huge, unnatural temperature spikes and that is messing with all sorts of systems, such as engines.

Started doing some Neofly bush flying in New Zealand, as I hadn’t visited it before in MSFS, and a) I think it’s my new favourite bush flying area after Italy, and b) I really, really want the Twin Otter to be released so I can take advantage of that climb rate. It can be tough getting out of some of these valleys in a Skyhawk.

The heck, I need to pay attention to my weather readings a bit more. That could be very bad.

You and me both, man. But the more time they take on it the better I feel that they are doing a good job with it.

A nice write up from a couple of months ago:

From them though, they’d been targeting a summer release for a long time. The latest is:

There is a release plan but I am not willing to announce it. SU5 really is causing some serious additional work and support at this moment.

I beg you to look at the recent pics where they added detail into the “cargo” variants.

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/155894-aerosoft-aircraft-twin-otter/&do=findComment&comment=1051223

It’s disastrous for anything that flies at high altitude, yeah. It massively affects aircraft performance.

Lens Flare!

Ok, I’m getting nervous now. I hadn’t really thought about this before, but there’s no way I’m going to get to Yakutsk before sundown. If I follow the railroad, I think I’m still about 800 miles away. And there’s no way I can follow the railroad at night time.

Is there a way to change the flight plan mid-flight? And land at a different airport?

Hit a bit of a brick wall on the French bush trip. LFPS is an absolute nightmare of a landing.

IRL:

And in game (not me):

After six attempts I’ve managed a couple of touch and gos, but I can’t get close to stopping without stalling out before landing.

I was going to suggest just that. Full flaps and forced stall above ground at just above minimal stall speed. I need to try this, it looks like fun!

I got that one on my third try. But it wasn’t as part of the bush trip, but a spotlight landing challenge, so I could try just the landing again and again until I got it.

A story in pictures …

Also, ty @Ginger_Yellow for the tip to always insure your planes.

I futzed around with the menus you can bring down from the top of the screen. There doesn’t seem to be any way to change your flight plans mid-flight. Looking it up online though, there’s something called Developer mode, if I turn that on maybe I’ll get some kind of options there.

Not using the MSFS tool, but you can do it in the Garmin (or whatever avionics your plane has).