Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Yeah it’s in premium and I didn’t buy that version, but by all accounts it sucks too. Asobo don’t give a toss about airliners.

787 is okay for casual fliers, but not for the PMDG fans by any means.

Anxious for the update. The Reno beta was nda nda nda nda nda nda nda and I’ll be anxious to see the final version.

The Super Hornet, alas, looks pretty meh. At least they finally support proper HUD projection, and hopefully the supersonic flight is better-modeled.

Major update today and still zero detailed information released about it. As we all know, this is surely a sign of a quality update rofl

It’s scheduled to be the GOTY edition I mentioned above.

Oh god it’s update day. Sigh. Oh well, let’s get the tedious process over with then…

Edit: 33GB. Great. Any other game would take a couple of hours. This one, I might have to let run overnight.

FWIW, I’m at 30.56GB out of 33.4 having started about half an hour ago.

Oh man, it’s guaranteed not to work for me after the update.

Patch notes:

Among them:

I’m still pretty skeptical about this, given the clunkiness of holding a touch controller while using a HOTAS, but it might help with some of the mouse wonkiness in VR

Edit:

Yay

And… a CTD about 40 seconds into my first air race. To be fair, I did have a bunch of other stuff going on on my PC at the same time.

Woah. Air race? Cool! I had forgotten that was coming.

Feel free to add me, anyone who buys the expansion. Same name, just no underscore.

I got home and updated it with the new patch, then launched it.

*Sigh *. It says I don’t have enough hard drive space for the GOTY update. There’s no other games on my OS drive besides this! And it’s grown too big.

Oh well, uninstalling it for now. Maybe I’ll re-install after buying another SSD. Keep an eye out for crazy deals on SSDs people.

Ouch, looks like some of this air race stuff is in the marketplace and not cheap?

If I’m looking at this right, it’s:

Reno Air Race Collection: $59.99
Biplane Class: $29.99 (planes that can fly for that race class)
Jet Class: $29.99
T-6 Class: $29.99
Unlimited Class: $29.99

You can also buy the individual planes in those classes. Those seem to run $9.99.

I guess it’s about time they got some paid content released but I thought this was part of the free game-of-the-year stuff.

The base expansion, with the gameplay and all the plane types, was something like £16. All you’re getting for the extra money is slight variants. Supposedly each one is individually modelled, but if all you want is one of each type, it’s not very expensive.

Why is there DLC when the sim is still a complete mess? Why do they keep making more scenery instead of fixing things like the flight model, weather, ATC, AI traffic, etc? STOP PANDERING TO XBOX PLAYERS AND FIX YOUR SIMULATOR!

1. Not only was the update 30GB+, but I had to update it in 4 different places. Why? Microsoft is literally in charge of patching everyone’s OS and Xbox but they can’t make the patching process for FS2020 easy? Are you kidding me??? First I start up the game and it downloads a patch, then tells me to update in the Microsoft Store. Then I have to update the store. Then it tells me there are no updates for FS2020 but makes me wait while it updates a bunch of unrelated crap. Then I waste 10 mins figuring out why it says there’s no FS2020 update before magically it appears. 30GB download, restart the game multiple times (waiting through UNSKIPPABLE LOGO CUTSCENES IN 2021 FOR SOME GOD AWFUL REASON) and then it has even more updates to download inside the content manager. WHY??? Why is this not all handled in one download, or at least one location?!

2. Weather is a broken mess after the update. How completely ineffective is your QA process that this was allowed to be released?

3. The general consensus seems to be DX12 is a complete slide show. A simmer I know with an i9-9900K and a 2080TI says he disabled it because the performance is so awful. Why the hell are you hyping up a feature to your fans that does nothing but cripple the game’s frame rate even for people with fairly powerful PCs? Is this your terrible QA rearing its head again???

I could go on but no one wants to hear my ranting. This isn’t meant as a personal attack against the dev that shows up around here sometimes, but there is just so much embarrassingly bad about how continued updates are being handled and it’s honestly infuriating. You’ve made a really cool Google Earth viewer, how about giving us the flight sim we paid for on top of it sometime this decade??? I’m glad so many new folks have been able to try out flight simming for the first time, and I absolutely get how at your level this seems incredible and amazing and awesome! But as an advanced simmer and someone who has supported the genre for decades it’s just so frustrating to get treated like a second rate customer so they can milk their console audience for money.

@Eric_Majkut, wholeheartedly agree with everything you wrote there.

The clunky update process alone was enough for me to stop touching the sim altogether. Haven’t touched it in months. Whenever I wanted to spend some time flying, instead I got to spend time watching loading screens and restarting stuff, no thanks.

It is infuriating. I don’t know which is worse: the myriad new bugs that each “update” brings, or the update process itself. Microsoft has all the money; why can’t they provide a) a decent infrastructure, and/or b) a proper installer/updater? I’m not joking when I say I absolutely dread update day. I left this latest update until this morning so that it could roll while I’m in work (at home). It just about managed to finish by the time I finished work. An entire day for a 30GB update. All while using my GPU at maximum capacity. It’s absolutely unforgivable.

It’s making me a lot more interested in XP12. Sadly, though, it seems some devs are moving permanently to MSFS and I’m sure more will follow.

Anyone here remember the Dx10 patch for Company of Heroes? Man, this takes me back.

I don’t understand why they would jump on the DX12 grenade so soon after the big performance upgrade they did for the timeline it went to XBOX and all the broken mods and issues after that. This is like, repeating the same shit only a few months later.

Is this Microsoft forcing the dog food on them?

Luckily you can turn it off, so they’re not forcing it on players at least.