Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Don’t know, haven’t looked yet. The roll thing happens without any deliberate input, and only like once in a half hour flight. The pitch I’ve only had happen when trying to climb, so it might be possible to manifest in the windows settings. The fact that it only ever seems to happen at takeoff makes me think it’s sim related though.

Could very will be sim related. I’ve been having sporadic controller issues since SU7. On the trim, when you start a flight, give the trim wheel a quick one-up and one-down adjustment, just to “zero” it.

The stickiness should cure itself after you use it a few times.

Yeah, I’ve had some controller issues too. I’ve had to disable the twist rudder in my stick (which I think is a stick issue) but the weirdest one was that if I left the stick untouched, the viewpoint would very gradually tilt upwards, so that eventually I’d be looking at the cockpit ceiling.

Rather incredibly, I fixed this by setting a sizeable deadzone on my xbox controller, which wasn’t even plugged in. Or rather, it was plugged into one of those usb hubs, but with the relevant switch turned off, so it wasn’t active.

So probably completely unhelpful, but Ginger could try unplugging other controllers (or setting a dead zone on them as a last resort).

Ginger, to what Pedro just said I had some controller issues early on and think it was conflicts either with my thrustmaster vs xbox controller (both plugged in) or that they shared the same powered USB controller and thus the same USB port. I swapped them to different ports (not on the same powered controller) and things have been well since. At least right up until the time I accidentally dropped my xbox controller behind the desk while moving things and didn’t notice. This lead to multiple games having strange control issues until I figured out it had fallen and wedged with one of the joystick against the wall and the body of the controller slid down a bit. Essentially it was always inputting a moved or non-zeroed control point.

I’ve been doing the Alaska bush trip and so far it’s my favorite bush trip. Mainly because the landmarks are huge and obvious. The XCub is a really nice place too once you get used to it.

After doing another leg tonight I decided to take the XCub out for some landing practice. I randomly decided to check out Midway Island. I like to use live weather just for kicks so I try to pick places in daylight during my night, and I’ve flown around Hawaii and Japan quite a bit now. Figured I’d do a tour of WWII island hopping between the two and Midway is the obvious first stop.

It’s tiny. I mean I’ve read the history and seen maps and the classic movie, but flying around it really demonstrates what a speck it is.

After sightseeing for a bit I went to land. Trying to land up with the runway I realized something was a bit off. Perhaps I should have realized it earlier when on take off the plane bounded into the air even before I rotated. I could not line up with the runway. I sort of could, with my nose pointing what felt like at least 10 degrees right. The skies were clear, but I realized I didn’t actually look at the weather. I tuned into the automated weather channel.

Wind 273 at 34.

Oh, so that’s the problem! I’m landing at runway 24. So the wind isn’t hugely off, but it’s huge!

I actually landed the thing. I ignored the direction of my nose and focused on when it looked like I was moving straight down the runway. There were some wild rudder movements after touchdown but somehow I managed not to overcorrect and go off the edge of the runway.

Isn’t the XCub one of the planes they post on reddit with videos of it achieving neutral sky position because of heavy headwinds?

I think it is. You did well to land in 34 knots of crosswind!

Sadly the same thing (the sudden roll anyway) happened in DCS World, so not sim related for that one. At this point I’m out of ideas (it’s definitely not another controller conflicting, not least because my USB hub died a few days ago so everything but my mouse and keyboard is unplugged). I’m going to raise a ticket and see what they say.

Bummer, @Ginger_Yellow. Hope you can get it sorted out.

@Thrag, if you’re gonna do Midway, go all Final Countdown on it and travel back to the heyday,

I gotta say that looks cool as hell!

The Final Countdown and Top Gun are only six years apart, but they look decades apart.

Does anyone have any wow-inducing landscapes they want to recommend? I was just over the Torres del Paine in southern Argentina and it’s a just jaw-dropping area of mountains and glacial lakes.

@Pedro did some nice flights over some areas and might have a few recommendations, even near where you were if I recall.

The Alaska Bush Trip over the Aleutians is quite wonderful. Plus most of the navigation landmarks are really obvious.

The latest development update has the results of the Screenshot contest whose theme was National Parks. The winner, and the runners up all seem beautiful to me, except the one for Yosemite, I don’t think the game does cliffs well, so Yosemite looks weird.

(The Winner is at the top, the runners up are at the bottom of the page below the update stuff).

That screenshot is pretty much exactly where I just was I think :)

Yeah it sounded like it. :)

Try a few of these (heavily Andes-based):

SCPR → SAVB

Big fan of SASA - try these at dawn with the sun just bursting into the valley:

SASA → SPQU

SASA → SLTR

SASA → SLLP

(that’s three flights out of the same place, but the landscape is very different or there is something very cool to see on each)

SCAS → SCPH

SETA → SEQM

SCRF → SCCR

I haven’t had a chance to explore central asia too much yet, but:

VISM → VIBR

OPSD → VILH

The old reliable Alps:

LSGS → LSPM

It’s going to be a bit samey if you’re already in the Andes, but the Patagonia bush trip is spectacular.

They’re not as spectacular, but if you like beautiful rolling hills and verdant but not overly regimented farmland, I find Italy and Japan really good to just fly around in, and it helps that there’s a lot of good photogrammetry in both countries.

Southern South America really is amazing. You can look in 8 different directions where you are and see 8 amazing views that are quite different from one another.

By the way I tried my first Discovery tour, which puts you next to Mt Everest.

That was beautiful! As long as I didn’t look at the mountain from the other side, it all looked so wonderful.

Is there an objective to the Discovery tour btw? Am I supposed to look at Everest at a specific distance or press X next to it? Am I supposed to land at an airport nearby afterward? There was a green arrow/indicator on my compass that I’ve never seen before, so I was wondering if I’m supposed to follow that as part of the Discovery objective or something.