Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Anyone else flying MSFS today using Live weather and not seeing any clouds? Live weather is so hit and miss – sometimes it works and when it does it’s awesome. But other times like today I times I get wind and pressure changes but absolutely no clouds to be found. I see there are reports of broken weather in the bugs support forum, so I know I’m not alone at least.

Yeah live weather can be very hit and miss. Working fine for me right now on the west Europe server though.

Really loving the new EFB in the FBW A32NX. Very slick.

I saw on the community support forum where someone suggested turning off IPv6 under my ethernet properties and sure enough that fixed it. Without fail, I get weather depicted on the global map screen and within the sim. I have no idea how or why that solved my problem but I get live weather now.

What setting turns off the landing assist: the brackets and the “too fast” warnings?

Generally those are under Options, then the Assistance section. I think one or both are under landing aids.

I didn’t know you could turns off the audio warnings in the cockpit. Is that safe? That feels like it shouldn’t be allowed.

No.

This is the tutorial-style heads up display style aids that show you the preferred flight path for approaches.

Thanks @Skipper. It was “Landing Path” under Options.

No worries. I jump back and forth under there a bit to turn things on and off depending on how stringent I want to be on myself for the aids. I still leave on some navigational aids (source or destination, sometimes airports in between.)

I should rely on them more than I do. I am kinda new to this flying thing.

I have been flying this a bit on the xbox. Even when set to hardest I find the flight modelling… on the light side.

I find it hard to shed speed on landing. Even a couple vigorous S turns won’t do, and even at idle with everything dangling in the wind the thing will pick up speed descending.

Have I missed a setting?

I’m assuming you tried lowering flaps and landing gear and lowering thrust to zero?

What plane has trouble shedding speed?

I was in a robin I think. Or was it the cub?

Yeah I turned the engine all the way down, put flaps to full.

On a runway I can land fine, but precision field landings, I just lack the control over airspeed that other sims (il2, dcs) have. In those it seems ascent or descent does not figure as prominently in air speed.

schurem are you all patched up on Xbox? I seem to recall many patches ago they had an issue with shedding speed correctly on several planes in MSFS. I think that’s long since corrected, however. I don’t remember if it was related to flaps or bleed speed from turboprops and some standard planes or what.

I know you fly sims constantly so it sounds like what I struggle with which is that MSFS expects you to fly to the numbers with throttle, pitch to flare only just before touchdown. I typically come in with way too much momentum, and a plane is a plane, it’s going to continue to fly if you come in too fast. Additionally, coming in too shallow in this game only gives bouncing and loooooong landings. The mistake I make in a lot of the landing challenges is I try to set up waaaay out, and come in too shallow, too fast and end up bouncing or extending the landing a bit too often.

This guy has some more specifics about the Cub and tail dragger landings. I’m sure there are similar vids for the Robin.

I never imagined this game could ever get me to fly across the Atlantic ocean. That sounds so boring!

But with the Spirit of St Louis being added. Maybe.

I am working through the landing challenges. Challenge 1: where the blanketyblank is the actual airport? :)

Yeah my first attempt at a landing is always about finding the airport.

Okay, the new Pelican is a lot of fun, and looks fantastic in VR.

Numerous complaints about the flight model of the Pelican in the official forum.

Damn, if sim fans are anything, they are predictable!

Question about the PMDG 737, for those who have it. Is there documentation somewhere on how everything works? I tried to initiate a flight to try it out (using the planning feature in the UI for a short flight from KSAN to KPHX). I don’t want to spend hours turning everything on, so I just brought up each checklist and auto-completed everything, but the engines weren’t actually running. Then I tried to push back, and it went super slowly, and eventually crashed. I know the website says it has it’s own pushback, but again - I can’t find doc on how it is supposed to work. And I know there are videos out there, but I don’t like ‘doc by video’ because you have to watch everything to get the little bit of information you need, and the ads are really annoying.