Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

True! My flaps were halfway down, which I didn’t realize until I was coming in for a landing. No wonder the trip took so much longer than the instructions said it should.

I did much better on the second leg, though the scenery wasn’t as interesting.

In the first part after at first correctly identifying the stadium it mentions I got distracted by the giant weird looking thing off on the hillside from Oslo. It looked so strange I thought it was a glitch. Turns out it’s a ski jump tower.

So today I found out that Air Hauler 2 is now available for MSFS2020.

I might need to reinstall. I loved it for FSX.

I did the second leg of Norway last night. Remembered to put the gear up after landing this time. I’m kind of liking the Bonanza. A definite speed upgrade to the planes I’ve been flying so far like the 172 and the DA40, though it still can fly real slow for landing. I made what was one of my smoothest approaches so far at the end of that second leg. Brought her down super slow and gentle. Only problem was I forgot to put the gear down. I didn’t realize this until I found myself wondering why the prop stopped turning on touchdown. So that’s what that beeping was! Still, the plane came to a perfect stop on the center of the runway. Really would have been one of my best landings if not for that one little detail.

Ha!

What’s weird is that the game no longer lets you re-do legs of the bush trip where you failed on the landing, as far as I can see. I tried redoing the first leg for example. I selected it from the menu, and the yellow button on the interface changed to “restart from”, which I clicked, but the game put me in the second leg anyway.

It feels wrong to crash on the landing but to continue the bush trip anyway. I should be dead. Or at least severely injured!

Trying this with streaming and it feels weird to have to watch a stream of the TopGun update downloading to… a cloud somewhere? Not sure the future is absolutely here yet :)

Did a couple of legs of the Denmark bush trip today. Totally gorgeous. The town you fly into at the end of the second leg looks like it was built it townscaper. I have to do the first leg again, or just fly out of that airport, as I kind of missed the landmarks that are all bunched together in the first part and just flew by course and time. Had to circle around a bit to identify the “water castle” landmark in the second leg but it was worth dipping down low to get a good look at it.

The Beechcraft Bonanza had issues when the game released that inadvertently hamstrung its power, especially climbing out. I don’t remember if they patched it but if you like the plane at all, there are a few 3rd party patches for it on flightsim.to that really help. This one is the most recommended.

https://flightsim.to/file/21221/bonanza-g36-improvement-project

And I wouldn’t link this for most other planes, but the Bonanza really is a fine plane to fly, I have no idea how they flubbed it within the release of the game.

So you have to install this every time you want to use it. Likewise for some of the World Updates. The streaming version seems stuck some months back for some reason. Besides that it’s brilliant.

I’ve found that most of the world updates are automatically there, but yeah I need to download some of the newer content.

Though after I “download” that content once, i don’t need to “download” it again the next time I play - seems to remember what I picked the last time.

Perhaps you’re on the inside track :)

Norway Bush Trip leg 3. The amazing landscape continues.

Such gorgeous valleys among the mountains and the water. Just amazing. I want to go so bad!

New study level plane:

First look at DLSS in VR (which to be honest I didn’t know was a thing until now).

I tried a bush trip in VR recently and it seems the menus are broken, so I’m more interested in the fixes that he saw than DLSS, to be honest.

SU10 looks amazing. I’m especially excited the preimuim and deluxe planes can now be modded!

Full changes in the update here.

So I’m curious how people here run the game. Do you do it like me where you crank up the object and terrain detail to the maximum and suffer the frame rate consequences but have it look really gorgeous? Or do you choose a reasonable preset where you get a good frame rate?

When I was on my old computer playing this game, I didn’t really have the option of making it look really good without it being a complete slide show, so when I got my new computer I went completely overboard the other way and cranked it up, and it runs fine in most countryside (including most of Russia), but approach a complex scene in Norway with lots of detailed terrain, or a city like Venice, and it just becomes a complete slideshow again, even on this computer.

I really should find a happy medium. Maybe go with the ultra setting and try it out. I think even ultra doesn’t crank up the object and terrain detail to maximum.

It’s the happy medium for me. Fortunately framerate isn’t nearly as important in a flight sim as most other genres, so I’ll accept anything above 30fps.

Besides, it all looks the same from FL400 anyway. :)

Wait, what??? We’ve been waiting for this for a long time. Did they unlock the models?

Holy F-ing hell, it is true!!!

The encryption of cfg files for premium and deluxe planes as been removed so the behaviour of those aircraft can be modded. (Forum Thread)

I’m excited about this, as there are some cool premium/deluxe planes that would benefit greatly from community support!

I’ll take a tiny bit of partial credit for this actually moving forward, as the original request in the official forums was phrased in such a way that it implied they wanted all of the premium/deluxe files fully unlocked (which would allow piracy). I submitted a question to one of the official dev streams a while back, and then hung out in chat to clarify to the team, clarifying that most of the community wasn’t asking for all files to be unlocked, just the config files that would allow tweaks and performance fixes. Jorg said that sounded reasonable, and the status changed from “Not Planned” to “In progress.”

Cocky with my newfound influence, I just started a topic requesting that they offer Marketplace airplane sellers the option to unlock their config files as well. I know how things work well enought to know that MS likely can’t legally decide themselves to unlock specific files for a product they’ve committed to protect in their marketplace agreements, but I’m sure many publishers would consider it if the option was there.

If you agree, the topic’s below if you want to read it. There is a little vote button you can press if you support it, though I am not trying to stuff the ballot box. :)

Excellent work, man. Much appreciated for both of these.