Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Thanks! I’m definitely up for adding some challenge, but I’m also definitely up for gradually building up skill. I’ll try everything at medium to start, and adjust rudder to auto and mixture to assist. I can tweak from there.

And nice screen shot. Amazing sky!

EDIT: Spent an hour going through the basic training. Got everything to A except the last one, still a B. Fun times! It’s beautiful up there!

Was doing some NeoFly missions around the Reno area during the scattered thunderstorms over the weekend. Saw a rainbow appearing on my port side and quickly composed a shot.

Gorgeous area. Did you go over Lake Tahoe? I went along the Western shore of the lake and couldn’t believe the number of houses all along the lake.

Holy cow, nice shot. Never seen that before in-game, that’s gotta be one in a million.

I did try to line up the camera just right so the plane would be pooping the rainbow.

Not so far on these flights, but I’ve done it a bunch of times previously. I actually just did a couple more NeoFly flights just now that ended up at South Lake Tahoe, but from the southeast. M45 to KTVL was the last leg. M45 is a tiny dirt strip next to the mountains. I could have climbed for a long while to go direct over the mountains, but instead I turned into a river valley that leads up to Luther Pass. Route 89 runs through it so you can see it on the map. Until I hit the Tahoe Valley is was climbing around 500fpm and never got higher than the peaks. A great bush flying feel with the peaks above my shoulders. Especially in today’s scattered rain. Calmer winds that prior days thankfully.

Finally mapped a button in my VR setup to active pause and took some shots of the conditions as I approach the mountain pass.

Also over in FSEconomy I left the Caravan at the south east edge of the Caribbean, in Trinidad and Tobago. Some very scenic flying around the islands.

Climbing out of South Lake Tahoe to pop back over into the Carson City area to deliver some cargo.

Flying back thorough small airports in Nevada I had a trip between two tiny ones, A34 to NV33. Had to cross a high ridgeline through the scattered showers.

Double rainbow.

There’s something about the high clouds and wind coming off the mountains on the lee side of the Sierras that seems to be a rainbow factory. It doesn’t rain here much, but when it does, rainbow city. I’m not only talking in the sim, I’m pretty sure I’ve posted some pictures in the weather thread or somewhere in years past of real life rainbows I’ve captured when the weather blows through.

This has all been in live weather today.

I had no idea NeoFly was such a grind. I donated 10 bucks to check out version 4 with the expectation I could fly my DC-6 hauling cargo into airports I previously never considered flying into, but a DC-6 in game costs $60,000,00 and you have to pay for qualifications to even fly the thing. If I want to get qualified in a specific type of aircraft, I have to find the nearest airport that has it and then transfer my pilot to take the exam. I can either fly there manually to the airport I can pay to have my pilot transferred which can cost several thousand dollar. WTH is up with that? Can’t I just rent a car or buy a Southwest ticket? I wish I could get my ten bucks back.

From digging around I see you can edit the database in NeoFly 3 but in 4 it’s locked down, apparently because people would break something and then take up dev resources asking for help. Fuck. Just give me a million space bucks and let me do my own damn thing.

Thanks for this! For some bizarre reason Duet stopped working for me, but Spacedesk works just as well. Now using my dad’s old 2016 9.7" iPad Pro as a dedicated GTN750 display.

Oh! Well, at least it got me to learn about the Nebraska sandhills. :) Pretty amazing how much glaciers ripped apart our planet long-term.

The seaplane airport is Funter Bay (PANR) from the Return to Misty Moorings freeware Alaska scenery. I highly recommend this to anyone who’s going to fly around Alaska and the PNW. Tons of seaplane bases, cabins, lodges, airports, etc. spread all around different parts of Alaska, with a bit of BC thrown in as well. They finally added an express installation with all of the scenery and objects in one file which makes it a lot easier to keep up with the package, since there are over 100 enhanced areas in it.

You probably want to check out FSEconomy. It’s not a campaign like NeoFly seems to be where you have to build up to bigger planes. In FSE you can search out and rent anything. Money doesn’t really matter as you can go negative and keep renting planes. It takes a bit of work to set it up, then set up the “can I fly there” extension for it, then to find the github link that has the data for the “can I fly there” extension, and then learn to use the UI to find and line up some lucrative jobs, but once over those humps it’s quite nice.

Here’s a shot of the UI showing rentable DC-6 planes (specifically the PMDG one as there are a few variants supported)

@JMR If you do decide to try FSEconomy, I have a DC6 that I can lease to you for free.

Unfortunately it’s in Georgia, so that may not be a location you want to fly in. On the bright side, it’s the Georgia that’s just north of Turkey and Iran, so it’s nice and scenic ;)

If you do try it out, let me know and I’ll sort you out.

Or, you could forget all of these “free” and “$5 donation” economic simulations and embrace a new virtual flying experience with a real economy! One that lets you invest hundreds of dollars of real money and will return you non-fungible assets that you will really sorta own! Who wants to play a game like FSEconomy or Neofly when you can have real money on the table in SimFly?

That’s right, SimFly lets you pay a mere $58 for the right to fly an airplane as a cadet! Of course, you’ll need an airplane too. If you felt like $69.99 was a heck of a bargain for a plane as sophisticated as the PMDG 737-700, then you’ll be excited to know it’s a mere $400 extra to fly it in SimFly! Of course, that might be a bit rich for the beginning pilot, so for just $200 you can get a Citation CJ4.

And taking a cue from the hugely popular Star Citizen economy, you can buy things that you can’t even use yet! Airports are currently 50% off since SimFly isn’t something you can actually use until at least Q3 of the year, so jump in now!

Just checked and WA17 Majerle strip, a closed airport that’s virtually unusable in the sim if you don’t download my fixed version, is a mere $30! Or if you want something people can actually fly into, KSEA is half-price just $4,000! You’re saving $4k by acting now! Compared to Chicago O’Hare ($50K right now, discounted from $100K!) that’s an incredible bargain.

"But why would i spend that kind of money when I can’t even play SimFly yet? The SimFly website itself explains why it’s a great decision to drop a few grand on a pretend airport:

Now, of course, you might sense just a tiny bit of snark in my commentary. You don’t have to drop hundreds of dollars to get rolling in the game. You earn PAX tokens from your flights and airplanes and those can be spent just like real dollars to buy stuff in SimFly, or you can cash them out at an unspecified rate. That’s right, you can make real money flying pretend passengers! And sell your airports and airplanes and even your license to others! Why, if enough people are interested and there’s scarcity of stuff, it’ll be like a… oh, wow… a pyramid!… of cash!

Modern NFT innovation meets flight simulation! PT Barnum would be proud.

I can help here, as I’ve done the NeoFly grind to the min/max point. Know that you don’t have to fly at all. And you don’t have to do a check ride to fly aircraft you own and let AI pilots fly. Note that I’m not on version 4.0 yet, still in NeoFly 3. You can also let NeoFly run while you do all this playing … an entirely different game. This is what I mean by it took over what I did and I played it so hard I burned out on it.

With that as a known use this method sparingly to make some initial money if you need to. Lean on the database of planes to view which planes can fly the furthest, with the most passengers or cargo. NeoFly doesn’t sim too far into things beyond specs of the planes themselves. So once you have a plane, hire an AI pilot to fly a route from X to Y using the best plane you have, even the starter plane. Strangely, the AI pilots are already at the airport you need them. Let them do their thing. Release the AI pilot after the flight, set up a new flight from that new airport, hire another AI pilot, repeat. Keep doing so until you can upgrade to a better plane. Keep doing that until you can own two, repeat, repeat. You don’t even have to play MSFS at all since these are AI pilots.

What you SHOULD do is find the daily exploration mission and do that. It’ll have you fly to some unmarked destination where you have to land near a wreck (usually.) That will automatically mark as explored and if you can fly out and land somewhere, it will put a good chunk of money in your bank. At that point you can do whatever you want for the most part. These missions are once per day so not every day is a relatively easy one. You can do the flight with something small or a STOL or helo if possible, but you need to fly it.

At any rate, taken down an extreme path you get to something like this:

And you can fly whatever is in your hanger that you want, or not use AI pilots at all, completely your choice. You’re simming being an airline manager, not just the sole pilot.

Amazing again. It makes me wonder if the addition of rainbows is recent or am I just not flying through systems generating that, or … maybe I just missed seeing one. :(

Still, beautiful.

Looks like something I’d really like. I’m all over this.

What a whale money grab they are, good lord.

I think the screenshot on their About section says it all:

Limited license? Sheesh.

Hey what was that pay to play flight game used with MSFS that I think we all bounced off of early on before FSE and NeoFly? It was harder than the others but I don’t remember much more than it was quite complicated. If still there I guess it’s still an option.

They are going to be adding a “freelance” mode to Neofly soon (in NF dev terms, it’s probably several months away) which will be more like how FSEconomy works. So JMR could just take DC6 jobs from the start if he wanted. Well, you may have to qualify first, I don’t know if they’ve said so but it would make sense.

Not sure what this step is for. You can just send the pilot on another mission straight away (subject to occasional resting, in NF4).

I think you reminded me that’s what it did. It’s been a while since I did so. They are limited in some what though, I think only, “rented,” for 24 hours? There was some reason I had to keep re-hiring them.

But if he just needs some initial cash, the exploration mission, if he can complete one, would get him over the hump on initial cash to play more to his liking.

Woah! This is an amazing find. They even have 16 missions. Which, I assume are like Bush trip stages?

One more shot from recent flying.

My destination airport was just on the edge of that rainstorm. Thankfully visibility wasn’t terrible.

This is the kind of weather the is rainbow factory. These big puffy clouds get pushed over the peaks of the Sierras and create scattered showers and occasional thunderstorms as they hit the colder air at altitude. Sometimes bursts of hail too, though that I haven’t gotten that in the simulator, just in real life. It’s similar weather today if anyone wants to rainbow hunt in the sim.

From wundermap right now.

Heh, just took advantage of the insurance in NeoFly. It went like this:

What is a car doing on the runway!

Wait! This isn’t the runway!

Tried to take off from this tiny private runway that is literally in the back yards of the houses it’s adjacent to. Like it’s a fly in fly out community or something. Got it right while landing last night, but when I picked thing up this evening and started a flight from a parking spot I turned the wrong way and ended up trying to take off on the lane that runs parallel. Ran into a bush trying to dodge a car.

Hah! Not sure if you were roleplaying, but just FYI the cars don’t trigger collisions, unlike bushes. I’ve had a few of them drive into me when I’ve made off-airport landings. (And a couple on airports, thanks to the stupid traffic-on-runways bug.)

I’d bounced off NeoFly but then Skipper’s post now has me running my AI pilot flying around in the Cessna in the background. Thought was to make enough money to fly around in a more interesting plan the Cessna or Robin when I fly for real.

But looking at the menu, does it really only support stock aircraft, the Just Flight PA28s, and some helicopters?

I guess technically, startled by the car I pulled up before I had enough speed, rose for a moment and then bounced off the runway, got pushed hard by the crosswind off the runway and then got flipped or at least slammed my wingtip down in a way the the sim had enough.

Also, I’m trying the v4 early access and it does have a long list of add on planes.