Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

That’s very good news, though it raises the question why this needs to be a standalone sequel if the underlying code isn’t really changing. Still, much better this way than the alternative.

It’s akin to a DLC but forced. Everything still works but if you don’t get the DLC … well, all the new updates will only be for that, sorry.

I don’t blame them though, this is at least a way they can remonetize. I’d kinda been wondering just how they were going to get back any case for this very long development post-game.

I mean, they’re still selling loads of stuff in the marketplace, and the WASM update means loads of planes are coming to Xbox for the first time, which must be a big chunk of revenue.

True, good point. I dunno though, this speaks of some sort of monetarization they haven’t approached yet. I think they wish to gatekeep new world changes, but I’m guessing.

I had some decent experience using the in-game ATC with airliners.

• I export the FP from Simbrief to my local computer
  • From the world map, pass space to open the flight plan.
  • Use FSITL to inject traffic

I did a few flights this weekend and it worked at least decently. I need to manage my own descents by selecting “choose lower altitude” But, it did a decent job of at least assigning me a STAR for approach.

There was one amazing moment where I was landing with clearance and another plane was coming straight at me. I was cursing the stupid system until I realized I had missed the go around.

I get tempted to get something like FSHUB that actually controls all the AI traffic, but I am trying to go a few months without buying an add-on.

I am also thinking of going back to the Game Pass version so I can get some other games. Is the best way to reinstall to backup my Steam MSFS AppData folder, start the install, and then copy it back in?

I think the best thing to do would be to perserve your Packages directory from there yeah. If you’re switching to the GamePass verison you’ll need to change Official\Steam to Official\OneStore for the installer to recognize the data. I believe that should do the trick, but I’ve never tried it so can’t guarantee that.

What I’d do would be to move that to a different directory. (I have D:\MSFS as the root for my installs because I access that data a lot and diving into the standard install location is a PITA.) Then, in the installer, when it prompts for an install path just choose the directory in which you have Community and Official.

Ah, ok, I didn’t realize it was a simple as a folder rename.

I’ll have to repurchase my ATR on MSFS if I do this. I have some time to sort it out anyway.

I’ve been withholding commentary on 2024 both because I don’t know everything myself, and because anything I did know I would not be able to share at this point. But I wanted to comment on this, purely as an individual, because I’ve seen the “10 year” thing mentioned a lot. I don’t recall the original phrasing verbatim, but the comment that was made was along the lines of seeing Flight Simulator as a “ten year project”, there was never a promise of 10 years of free maintenance and updates. Not saying you’re parsing it that way, but a lot of people have and it’s kind of taken on a life of its own, causing some of the upset around this announcement.

Just wanted to clarify that from my perspective. Again, not an official statement and no inside knowledge there.

I would think once you have the aircraft in a mod directory, you’re good? Unless they update it?

Unfortunately, even though it’s the MSFS Marketplace the two don’t carry over. I don’t know how the encryption works for it to come over.

That said, after thinking about it, since MSFS is my main game I am not sure what moving to Game Pass will give me.

Have they announced the next Famous Flyer yet?

More scattered storms today.

I just saw this view for real this morning… Cool clouds too :)

It’s just before 2 am in Reykjavik right now.

The midnight sun in all places above the arctic circle is about to start. A multi hour overnight golden hour.

Since I had to get above 10,000 feet to get about the Icelandic weather, I figured I’d get a feel for how the xcub glides without power.

When I went to land it both BIKF and BIRK were IFR only since there was zero visibility. So I just checked the weather, picked an ILS runway, and tried to follow things.

Oh look, lights! I’m on the right track!

After landing. It’s a bit foggy.

I did not need another new airplane, especially a single-engine piston.

But it’s the 182 RG II! The plane we’ve all been flying in MSFS since the 2D cockpit days. Couldn’t resist. It’s the usual Carenado – feels right, beautiful modeling, and accurate enough for my purposes.

First screen is of course Meigs Field.

Cockpit is slightly improved from the FS95 version.

Though I guess it’s easier to read the instruments in FS95. :)

Awesome real life shot there. It would be very cool to see in real life for me. One day…

As always, GREAT shots, Thrag. And somewhere way up thread I have some shots with the same kind of landing into Iceland, only I had icing going on in a plane not good for that and thought I was going to die. Like your shots I couldn’t see ground lights until it felt like I was already damn near ground level. Scary AF.

Oooooh! I love the Skylane already, don’t tempt me! I love seeing the extra performance with that engine and gear retraction. Damn I’m going to own this I can tell already. She looks great!

And I wonder if FSE will map it to the existing 182, meaning we could fly this model using the exiting Skylane I own in FSE?

Looks like we’re gonna need a bigger SD card. I was shocked it worked this well.

Yeah, I finally saw a video showing it running a few days ago. I was amazed none of the reviewers tried it, even just for the lulz