Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Really good. It can only get better when the NBN bring out their new technology FTTNB: Fibre to the National Border then copper.

“And that blue pixel is the Pamamamoo Lake, and that white pixel is the Opera House, oh and that elevated brown pixel over there is Mount Kosciuszko.”

The articles say it’ll be in Game Pass like other first party Microsoft releases. My guess is it’ll also be sold as a normal full priced $60 game with plenty of expansions down the line.

That’s great to hear. IMO Microsoft is making a lot of really pro-consumer choices lately, which stands out to me right now as many companies are going the opposite way.

Game Pass, for example, is an insane deal for PC gamers. Even if you didn’t take advantage of that great deal this summer, for the cost of a single game per year, you’re getting hundreds.

From the Ars article, it sounds like there’s no version of the game which doesn’t use data from the cloud. But there is an offline mode. So it sounds like a good idea all around:

Asobo was quick to confirm that the game will work in a variety of offline modes. Players will be able to designate a maximum offline cache size on their computer, which the game can then either fill with geographical data from a preferred region or with wherever you previously flew when you were last connected to the Internet. Should you wish to unplug from the Internet after installing the game, you can expect a more rudimentary visual experience, as Asobo’s rendering system relies heavily on a stream of satellite scans and metadata on top of the base Earth scans installed with the game.

All of Australia? Really? What if they have Azure servers in Adelaide or Melbourne?

Very few Australians have internet speeds > 50 Mbps, which I imagine might be the requirement for super high res textures being streamed on the fly. It’s not about the ping, so I doubt local servers would help a great deal.

My internet is a measly 17Mbps!

No, not really. I’m on a solid 90Mbps most of the time. But you have to pay for it, and then cross your fingers…

My view might be unfairly pessimistic as my NBN status is still “TBA”, even though I am only 30 minutes from the CBD in Sydney. Are you on Fibre to the Premises? Lucky bastard.

In any event, I just can’t see how the streaming requirements for this sim is below that of Google Earth VR or Netflix 4k, both of which I can’t do on ADSL2+.

No, our area (Brisbane south-side) uses HFC so it’s fibre to the node (which is miles away), then the rest of the distance over coax cable instead of the copper phone line. Pretty much the same as cable internet really. :P

You do have to pay $100 a month to get the top tier, and choice of ISP might be a factor as well, whether they oversell bandwidth or not. Aussie Broadband seem pretty good so far.

Really really hope this will be the case, the game looks amazing

Has anyone got MS on the record for how long they will commit to keeping the servers/third party data agreements running? Sounds like the game design would fall apart without them.

They said it’s a “ten-year plan”

So was Destiny 1…

(Me too.)

Assuming my Insider-ness gets selected, we shall if my 7-year-old rig can manage it at all.

So what could Microsoft possibly say that would convince you? Do they need to show receipts?

Just saying that “We have a 10-year plan” is not a commitment.

The announcement that it would be on Game Pass was at E3. I wouldn’t be shocked if it comes with an additional monthly sub cost if you’re using the live streaming option. That’s a ton of data Azure is pushing out for this game, to just include indefinitely as part of a $60 purchase or Game Pass sub.

That said, if the cost was like $5 monthly for live server access, I don’t think many sim fans would chafe at that. Especially if it included expansions, or new planes or whatever “free” down the road.

It is CRAZY just how good looking the terrain and weather is in this. I just hope we can run it with all the goodies.

imagine if someone could license the world tech and create a military flight sim. Holy shit.

Hell, MS could even sell that to the Pentagon.

I am sad it won’t have DX12 and raytracing support at launch. It looks insane already I would like to see it with some RT