Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - We're really sorry about Microsoft Flight

Ah, right. There’s a bug that actual winds everywhere in NA are 3 knots from 225 degrees. I think the ATIS gives what they’re supposed to be, but measured by your aircraft instruments you’ll see 3 knots.

Yes, I’ve been reading about that bug. Some people claim it doesn’t necessarily affect all of North America; I noticed posts suggesting that parts of Florida in particular might not be affected. On the other hand, I’ve flown in Europe and Oz too and haven’t really felt significant wind when using online weather.

Edit: Oops, never mind, found the TBM.

Incidentally, does anyone make a version of the Cessna 172 without the glass cockpit?

Non glass cockpit version of Cessna 172 included with Deluxe version or Deluxe upgrade of MSFS 2020.

Followup to my last post @Spock, here’s the actual cockpit for the non-glass cockpit version of the Cessna 172:

Thanks, @Dejin. That looks very nice! It’s easier to see the analog dials than the tiny numbers on the glass cockpit.

Man I’m in that boat. The first thing I do every flight is zoom in on the glass cockpit enough to see both screens and see the text on buttons and along the top info part of the pane. This gives me very little outside view. I’m essentially doing a mini-IFR flight when I do that. I think that’s why I pop out to external view a lot.

What gets me is they are very, very detailed in the display, but for some reason the angle or distance from seating makes everything look very small. I’ve seen a G1000, they are not that hard to read. I’m at least thankful for the tooltips that display just prior to me pressing the wrong button.

I’m hopeful that VR will get this right, but that’s a lot of resolution and I’m pessimistic.

I actually have the opposite problem, especially in the Cessna 152. Unless the sunlight is coming into the cockpit directly onto the flight instruments, the dials are too dark for me to read. The Cessna 172 (non-glass cockpit version) does have panel brightness which kind-of works, but the Cessna 152 seems to be missing the ability to change the panel brightness.

I suppose it’s possible I have gamma set wrong, but everything else looks great, so I’m reluctant to mess with it.

Known issue. The 152 is supposed to have a gauge backlight, apparently that isn’t in-game.

More info here …

It’s post-release day 21. Your time has come.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ioz7yj/star_wars/

I smiled out loud. Thanks, Skipper!

That Tie Fighter looked cool by the way. I’m sure there are more to come.

The difference in VR is that you are right there, in the cockpit. The instruments are a lot closer than they are when 2D on a screen some distance away from you.

Of course this has typically been offset by the low res in the past headsets, that makes text hard to read.

The G2 is looking promising though. Here’s a comparison looking ‘through the lens’ inside X-Plane 11. The G2 running at half res is clearer than a Rift S at full res!

Okay yeah those are looking great actually. I’m impressed!

Setting the pagefile to a minimum 10 gigs seems to have fixed this, which is odd as it claimed to have already allocated that much. Anyway, Patagonia bush trip completed!

This looks like it could become a very useful resource. Just the one trip so far, but very detailed and looks like a good route:

https://msfsbushtrips.com/

That’s awesome, thanks; I’ll definitely have a look at those as I’m loving the bush trips so far (just landed at the Lackermann Ranch on the Sierras one).

Noob question, if somebody could set me straight I’d appreciate it.

In the Cub, I can’t really match the recommended times for each leg, as it seems to put too much stress on the aircraft. I assume I’m not generally supposed to be in that 160-200 kts area?

This is what I generally cruise at - 4,000 RPM and speed between 120 and 150. Is that about right or am I doing it wrong? Should I be staying below 100? I do have trim set and all that and this seems to be the sweet spot.

According to the manual, cruise is anything between 4,000 and 5,000 RPM, which tops out at 104mph. IIRC, the dials are in km/h though, so that would be 167. I would suggest sticking to the top end of the green bar

Great, thanks a lot!

I took my first flight in a Cub today, on the first leg of the Patagonia bush flight. That was really fun! I closed the VFR navigation box and just tried to follow the instructions by looking at visual landmarks. That worked fine, though I did initially mistake a highway for the airport at the end. Wasn’t a problem; I found the airport, entered the pattern, and landed fine. There actually was a little wind on my trip, or so it seemed, especially as I moved from over lake to over land. Maybe that was just thermals?

Anyway, I’m looking forward to doing more of these bush flights.

@Spock and @Matt_W if you have yet to purchase an aircraft in FSE or need some cash for the same I used:
https://capitalaircraftfinance.com/

It’s automated and very slick to use, essentially you do it all right there on the web page, get to a certain point and send your down payment, then they purchase and set up the lease-to-own with you with a max of 6 month payback. It also allows you to pay off early for as little as a 3% financing percentage. You get an email with your details and a login to go check balance, make payments and even do your payoff. This happened within a minute or two of me filling out the form and sending the down payment.

I could swear I was at a legit financial site using that thing. At any rate, I now own my most used aircraft so far, the Beechcraft Baron 58. I considered saving more to get a Caravan or TBM but by doing so, a significant cost over time would have been rentals. This way at least I get an aircraft to use and make more per run with.

I also started a Quarter To Three group though I have no idea what I’m doing. The intention was to allow aircraft sharing once I have cash to go in for another.