Microsoft looking to buy Discord

We’ve been using WebEx at work and their app is basically Discord with a different skin and less features. They should sell it because competitors in the business space are already here.

That said, Microsoft would likely ruin it.

Discord is not how you spell Sega Microsoft.

Nonsense, look at their amazing stewardship of Skype!

EoL LoL.

MS would just absorb Discord into Teams. I don’t have a strong opinion about that one way or the other, really, other than preferring independent competition in the market.

If I were Discord, and Microsoft or anyone else offered $10 billion, I’d take it. As others have pointed out, the competition in this space is fierce and if you’re not prepared to constantly evolve and stay hip to the kids, you’re going to eventually get clobbered. Take the money and run!

Microsoft seems to have fully opened the war chest over the past year.

Competition is indeed fierce, but Discord is the leading platform for gaming chat. This could be an Instagram in 2012 type scenario, where they clearly sold too cheaply. No way to tell, really. I agree though, I would take the money and run. Slack didn’t sell and Microsoft kicked their ass-- although they did ultimately sell out for a lot more money than MS had offered, several years later.

Apparently it’s Phil Spencer handling a lot of the talks. I would keep Teams as an Enterprise thing and Discord as MS’ “social media” foray. Remember they tried to get TikTok last year. In this case they’d keep the gaming emphasis and branch out from there.

They’re positioning Teams as far more than just enterprise in COVID times. They could keep it cosmetically separate-- Facebook technically kept Instagram and Whatsapp separate too, as in they’re presented as separate apps, but in truth there’s a lot of data sharing behind the scenes.

Yeah, I think merging the UI would be an absolute disaster, for both products. They’d be much better off keeping Teams as pure enterprise/academia and having Discord be the consumer facing product, even if there’s some back end infrastructure sharing.

Teams is already used by consumers. Available for months now. No Office365 required.

Not on the desktop. If you try, they tell you download the app on a phone or use Skype instead.

That’s incorrect.

I dunno, that website clearly showed the desktop Teams program. I have a corp account so I can’t test it myself. Weird.

I just downloaded and installed Teams on my non-work PC. Works fine.

Vindication! I win on the internet! Everything’s coming up Stusser!

I’m forced to use it for work, I wouldn’t call this a win.

I know, but it’s not what it’s designed for, or good at, and it would be made worse for enterprise if they tried to make it so. Whereas Discord is not designed for enterprise and probably can’t be made so without crippling what makes it good as a consumer app