Microsoft looking to buy Discord

Microsoft and Discord are in exclusive talks and could complete a deal next month, assuming the negotiations don’t fall apart, the people said.

Microsoft also owns Yammer and Skype. They haven’t really done anything with either while Slack and Discord began eating their lunch.

Those acquisitions were under the previous regime. The current one seems a bit more savvy.

I can’t wait until they integrate LinkedIn with Discord!

Other than fend off head hunters what are we supposed to do with LinkedIn again?

Offer went up to $12 billion, but Discord says no.

Maybe Discord thinks they’re worth as much as Slack. These numbers are so insanely high that I can’t help but think they’re all wildly overvalued, but what do I know? Maybe.

They’ve obviously been burning money for years now, and it’s not entirely clear if they have a business model other than getting acquired, so I’m kinda surprised they said no.

$12 billion sounds insane.

$12 Billion comes from Bloomberg, but it’s paywalled
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-20/chat-app-discord-is-said-to-end-takeover-talks-with-microsoft

Well, I guess now they can go public and we can find out what the market thinks they’re worth.

Tech stocks, particularly video/voice streaming stuff are overvalued atm, it was the perfect chance to sell.

Remember when Groupon turned down Google’s $6 billion offer?

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

What a twist!

I laugh at the people who thought MS was going to be an issue now. Sony is the damn worst at tech stuff.

Remember, Yahoo! turned down 44.6 bllion from Microsoft and its remnants were sold off from Verizon to …private equity vultures for 5 billion.

Heh, Yahoo and AOL were just sold off again today.

Has anyone used AOL or Yahoo in like a decade?

My mother (70s) still uses yahoo mail.

She played card games on there too, but recently moved to another site.