Microsoft's new streaming service is getting ready to challenge Twitch

<swipes right>

Anyway, beyond the name change, there are some cool things in Mixer.

[quote]
*Co-Streaming Launches Today. Starting today, we’re launching the first built-in cooperative streaming experience on a streaming platform where up to 4 streamers can combine their streams into a single viewer experience. Co-streaming enables multiple channel streams to be displayed on a single Mixer page. You and up to three other friends can deliver a stream that combines separate stream sources into one shared “split-screen” view, including a centralized chat experience. Co-streaming is available now for everyone. And in the coming weeks, Xbox One users will be able to invite friends to join a co-stream directly from the Guide. Co-streaming doesn’t require streamers to play the same game or even do the same activity, and you can join a co-stream with friends who are streaming from different types of devices. Four friends can broadcast a co-op session of “League of Legends” or “PLAYERUNKNOWN’S Battlegrounds,” and then just as easily stream a remote live-band jam session or play a multiplayer board game with their viewers. Viewers don’t need to flip back and forth across different streams to view the same group of streamers – they can watch all the action in one place, while enjoying all the innovative interactivity that Mixer offers.[/quote]

That is pretty cool.

I like Beam, or Mixer or whatever. I’ve been poking around in it on my Xbox since it’s pretty well integrated. I still think Twitch has the easier to use interface between the two, and definitely the bigger user base, but I’m interested to see how things shake out.

That co-streaming feature is really cool. Looking forward to seeing it used.

I generally find Beam / Mixer to be a nice streaming environment. Audiences are very small though. But the software itself is great.

I hope features like split screen streaming will keep attracting more streamers and bigger audiences.

Wendelius

Oh God, something else for me to try to talk @tomchick into doing

The best part of Beam (I guess Mixer now) is that the service has no delay built into it. You get the normal transmission delay, but there’s no manufactured delay to account for chat moderation. Of course, that will likely change if Mixer ever gets big enough to attract a lot of negative users.

Usually it’s the cheaters you have to watch out for. People will ghost popular players to see what they’re doing when playing against them.

Tell him it’s a Microsoft tool, he’ll be all over it.

Nothing makes Tom install something quicker than whispering “GAAAAAMMMMESSS FOR WIINNNNDDDOOOWWSSS” on the wind outside his house.

Does anyone even use this?

https://youtu.be/zB_mddOeazw

Sure - sometimes they give out free stuff when you watch the official Xbox channel for events like E3 on Mixer.

Sure, sometimes I’m curious to see how a game runs/looks on XB1, but everybody on Twitch is streaming from their PS4 or PC, and Mixer will have streams linked at the bottom of the XB1 store page and I’ll look from there.

I just have to make sure I’m not looking at a Win10 stream, but Mixer makes it tons easier to find XB streams on console.

Unlike Twitch though, I don’t currently watch for entertainment. The game and streamer selection is shit compared to Twitch.

Sure. It’s got a decent interface and a couple of people I follow stream on it. It’s a solid streaming service. It’s just not Twitch by any stretch of the imagination.

My friends and I use it for streaming because unlike Twitch it has zero delay. I can chat to a friend about what’s happening in his stream without being 20 seconds behind or whatever it is on Twitch.

Plus its integration into the Xbox dashboard makes it easy.

Purchase games from Mixer during a stream.

I admire the suit that turned “click on a button and buy some shit I guess” into the “Direct Purchase feature” with capitalized words and everything.

That individual is going places.

Be sure and smash that buy button folks!!!

Any recommendations for interesting people to watch on Mixer? I tried a few channels but so far nothing I really found enjoyable. I did enjoy the Hypezone channel, cool idea to just jump to matches that are almost done.

They’ll give up this time next year.