Middle of War: Earth Shadow - aka Batman Mordor Knight 2

Well that gave me the confidence to proceed. All together took nearly ten hours to get to the army building stuff, and even then the entire first fortress is basically a gate tutorial. This game should start at hour 15. My recommendation to new players is to set the game to easy and to rush to the army building part.

Even then, the fortress assault was disappointing. All that preparation, and it’s just vault over the wall and have another regular fight at checkpoints A and B. Nothing like the assault cinematic they released in early 2017. The online assaults are no different.

Despite all that, the game-play is fun.

I’m inclined to agree. The one thing I’d like to know however is if switching up attacks will outright prevent them from adapting.

I agree the fortress assaulting was disappointing.

It was basically just some very low depth point capturing. Also, even though my power was 50% higher than the enemy’s and i had killed the two warchiefs, i still felt like my army was significantly less powerful than than the enemy’s. If it was not for me, my forces would have lost. This doesn’t make a ton of sense when my orc army is supposed to way overpower the defenders.

The only really fun experience i had with my first siege was when i dominated the bodyguards of a warchief, had them call him out in to a trap and then we all killed him. It makes me wonder if you can dominate both war chiefs and use the same trick on the overlord.

The game is mostly a single player mmo progress quest. Going around killing orcs and trying to find the perfect one for your army, even if your army doesn’t do much.

If you turn one of the war chiefs to your side ahead of time you don’t have to fight them, they simply reveal their betrayal when you get there. I have heard people recommend not getting to caught up clearing missions from the first couple maps in the early.

And as a resident Tolkien scholar that is conversational in Quenya, I find this incredible hard to believe. An event date change is far easier to ignore than a human women staring you in the face that should be a fucking spawn of Ungoliant. It’s 5th grade level fanfic terrible.

#nerdfight!

Isn’t it a bigger lore defiling that they made another ring of power? Or is that supported in the Simmarillion too?

Well I’ll just say I am not against making new stories in Middle-earth, but rather heavily modifying well established things with the reckless idiocy as already advertised.

I am a big fan of The Lord of the Rings LCG, in which there are approximately a zillion expansions. The vast majority of them are completely made up scenarios with new characters, etc…Even Lord of the Rings Online does it right and there’s all kinds of original made up stuff in there.

This Mordor War videogame just doesn’t get it. As a Tolkien fan, I should be a shoe-in for this, instead I am totally against it.

Celebrimbor made the Rings in the first place so making another is not so out there. Doing it literally inside Mount Doom under Sauron’s nose is a bit, though.

Yeah the entire plot is fucking silly. Shelob is just the misogynistic cherry on top of the shit sundae.

That on top of it being the most grotesque power fantasy of power fantasies always turned me off of the series and somehow it’s even worse now.

I assume marketing was doing an on-site at Monolith during which a hotshot up-and-coming brand manager overheard two frustrated devs joking about “they’ll probably make us turn fucking Shelob into a sexy dominatrix or some shit,” at which point capitalism happened.

I have to wonder whether some people have actually played the game, much less met Shelob in it.

What about Shelob is misogynistic? Is it that she shapeshifts in to a human? Is it that she doesn’t change her gender to a man when she does it? Is it that she isn’t a traditional sickly witch? Maybe it is how subservient and in love with the main character she is?

What makes Shelob a dominatrix? Would you say the same if her character was male, in a black suit and everything else was the same? Do you think the same of Sauron or Celebrimbor?

She’s a giant, horrific spider monster. So they made her a sexy lady because women have to be sex objects. Apparently even giant horrific eternal spider monsters.

Did they randomly show up looking nothing like what they should look like? Celebrimbor is… a dead elf that looks like an elf. Sauron looks like Sauron. They literally don’t change (well Celeb is basically generic elf).

If Sauron appeared as say… a giant fucking horrible spider monster, people would say something.

Shelob is hot. I wish all the Orcs were just a bunch of naked Shelobs running around trying to seduce me. And it would be cool if the Nemesis system were converted into a Polygamy system I could work through while trying to capture all ranks of Shelobs for my Spider-babe harem.

The problem with Shelob is her cliched dialogue and presentation, not her character model. I have no issue with the shape shifting succubus thing in of itself.

Her behavior and role in the story determine this, not her looks. As terrible as the story is, it’s depiction of women is relatively reasonable and doesn’t suffer from the typical gaming tropes (bikini armor, drooling over the male narrator, always needing to be rescued, etc…).

Complaining about or singling out a woman for being too sexy/pretty is as neck-beardy as it gets.

She. Is. A. Giant. Spider. Monster.

If Smaug was portrayed as a handsome dude I would complain just as much. Because it’s fucking stupid.

In fairness, Smaug’s monologue was frat-boy material.

No argument there, but it isn’t misogynistic. That’s not a term to dilute through misuse in this day and age.

But it is. Women have to be sexy ladies. Even giant spider ‘women.’

Women are objects to be looked at. Even when they’re giant murderous monsters. Because boners.

Her behavior and role in the fan-fic power fantasy determines she has to be a sexy lady instead of an awesome spider?

Well shit, I guess that showed me?

Come on. She is not that sexy. This is nowhere near the sexy nun assassins bullshit of Hitman or FARK or, well, I can name six dozen far worse examples in modern gaming.

The “you ain’t canon enough” argument I get but it is not that sexified.

p.s. fuck Jimquisition stop linking that crap here it is awful

http://www.paulcampion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/LOTR_ROTK_shelob_05_940.jpg
https://dvsgaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/middle-earth-shadow-of-war-shelob-story-trailer.jpg.optimal.jpg

I disagree. I will now post Jim Sterling in every single relevant thread.

Oh wait, I forgot you’re always right about everything.

Anyway, farewell, enjoy the game folks.