Midnight Mass - Welcome to the Mike Flanagan's Castle Rock

Regarding the Father Paul spoiler’d discussion.

Hmm … my sense with Father Paul’s death was that he had essentially starved himself by not feeding. Wasn’t there a bunch of scenes of him in physical torment with his stomach growling? The blood of the patron vampire was feeding the beast, but not satiating it. Once he killed Joe, he started to bounce back.

He doesn’t have the reaction to sunlight or the need to drink blood until he dies. And he’s been drinking the vampire’s blood the whole time as “communion wine”.

Tough to say with only Brand New Cherry Flavor and this as the only samples. I’d say you probably aren’t a slasher/gore type horror person, so start with some of the more heady stuff. Try Flanagan’s own Haunting of Hill House or Haunting of Bly Manor. Or try the old The Shining by Stanley Kubrick, then watch Flanagan’s sequel Doctor Sleep.

Finally got around to reading this, thanks for linking. Not super surprised by anything in there, given the show, but still enjoyed the read.

Also this poster they embed at the end is bad ass.

The vast, vast, vast majority of humans on earth are religious, so if it really were the case that you couldn’t be religious and also good, humanity would have died out long ago.

I always thought that it was that the Primary Vamp was surviving off of the animals that Bev was poisoning - see the dead cats washing up and the dog - and that Father Paul finally got enough poisoned vamp blood in his body to kill him

Also, she calls him “Monsignor” when he collapses, so she does already know.

Thanks, I’m definitely going to try more from Flanagan. I’ll look at the rest of your suggestions, too, since from what you’re describing it sounds more like what I’d like.

Yeah, I appreciate that I don’t yet have enough data for the recommendation algorithms to work. ;) But I’m most certainly not a slasher/gore kinda person. (Well… maybe? I guess I’ve never really given it a try.)

Oh, sure, I didn’t mean to imply otherwise. I guess “religious people who are also good” implies that religious people wouldn’t otherwise be good, but that’s not what I meant. What I was trying to distinguish was that by “good religious people” I didn’t mean someone who was good at being religious, the way you’d say “he’s a good Catholic” meaning he goes to mass and confession and whatnot.

The dead cats weren’t poisoned, they were killed by violence and drained of blood. All in one night. Presumably by the vampire.

She’s figured out part of his secret (pretty recently, IIRC) but I don’t see any reason to assume she’s figured out the full truth or that that much would lead to her poisoning him.

You could do worse than use the Fear Street movies on Netflix as a step into that end of the spectrum - they’re more slasher/gore intensive than I personally like, but they’re a lot smarter than average, have good (and diverse) characters and don’t lean into the subgenre’s worst tendencies. Happy Death Day and Freaky are also fun spins on the concept, but not on Netflix AFAIK. And if you liked Brand New Cherry Flavor, while I haven’t seen BNCF, my understanding is the showrunner is the guy behind Channel Zero (which streams on Shudder, possibly elsewhere as well) which is well worth a look. Season 2 is incredible, and 1 and 3 are also pretty strong (3 more so than 1. though, cannibalism warning). I’ve heard 4 is the other top tier season but we’ve not gotten to it yet. (It’s per-season stories so no need to watch them in order if you don’t want to or end up disliking one of the seasons).

Yeah, honestly I don’t know how she even knew that, although I have a memory like a goldfish, so maybe it was made clear and I just don’t remember.

There’s a framed newspaper clipping from decades ago on the wall, which has a picture of the Monsignor. It gets zoomed in on a couple times.

Oh yeah, that. I thought that was a bit cheeseball, it’s like seven dots of ink. You can’t reliably make an identification from that!

Thanks for the recommendation. I should probably hop over to the Brand New Cherry Flavor thread but I’m afraid (ha! ha!) of being judged by @tomchick and the rest of the horror movie pros over there.

As I recall, there’s a scene in the first episode or two where we see Beverly looking at something on the wall. After a moment, she smiles. I assume that’s the moment of realization.

The camera was facing her, so we (the audience) didn’t see what she was looking at.

That’s pretty damn subtle. Really, you can only work back to that scene,right? We haven’t even seen the photo on the wall up close yet.

Yeah, she looks into the camera (the wall) and smiles with an “Ah-ha!” expression.

Later, when Father Paul “dies,” the camera moves over the mayor and his wife, then zooms slowly into that picture on the wall.

Yeah. And I’m actually not even 100% it even happened, but I seem to recall that odd moment where I wondered what was going on. I’ll scrub through and see if I can find it when I have a sec.

This sort of stuff is why the Flanagan shows really reward a rewatch, though. I’ve seen Hill House three times and Bly Manor twice, and I catch new stuff each time (not just hidden ghosts). Not sure if that’s by design.

Funny that this thread refers to Stephen King when there is a King adaptation out at the same time. I’m watching this and Chapelwaite and this is way, way better. All the money in CW seems to have gone to paying to have Brody in it. The writing, the characters, the pacing are just turgid. MM in comparison is absolutely riveting. Just finished Ep 5 Gospels and can’t wait to finish.

Finished this. Got to hand it to a show that is willing to kill off nearly the entire cast in the last episode. Respect!

urgh, now I have finished Chapelwaite as well and since there is no thread for that let me just say don’t watch it! It stinks!!