Midway announces new Gauntlet; Romero and Sawyer at helm

From the press release:

CLASSIC MIDWAY FRANCHISE IS REBORN WITH ANNOUNCEMENT OF GAUNTLET®: SEVEN SORROWS™

Industry Veterans John Romero and Josh Sawyer Spearhead Development Team

CHICAGO – February 17, 2005 – Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment industry publisher and developer, announced today the rebirth of the legendary Gauntlet® franchise with Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. Lead by industry veterans John Romero (Doom, Quake) and Josh Sawyer (Icewind Dale), developed by Midway’s San Diego studio, Seven Sorrows is scheduled for release on the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft and PC this winter.

“Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows captures the nostalgia of the legendary franchise, and also delivers the darkest, most intense Gauntlet saga ever,” said Matt Booty, senior vice president of product development, Midway. “Blending an intuitive combat system, accessible RPG elements, and new junction skills, Seven Sorrows features the dynamic co-op it’s known for, and, for the first time ever, it is online supporting up to four players.”

Centuries ago, four immortal heroes set out to kill the most powerful emperor their age had ever known. They failed, and for their crimes, three were crucified on a great tree at the bottom of the world. Mysteriously set free, the heroes set out to finish what they had started, only to find that they must now save their tormentor from his own dreams and madness. Driven to grief by seven acts of deep cruelty and selfishness, the emperor seeks to undo the one that pains him the most: the murder of his lover, Cusirimay. If the ancient heroes cannot undo the emperor’s deeds on their own, his mad plans may tear apart the world.

Seven Sorrows is the fusion of fantasy fighting action with the strategy of user-friendly RPG elements , providing gamers a deep, engaging gameplay experience complete with solo play, co-op and an online community.

The new fighting system allows for easy pick-up-and-play while simultaneously offering deeper choices for more advanced players. Additionally, online RPG and collection elements add significant replay value to the game.

darkest, most intense Gauntlet saga ever

That’s a challenge?

They’re trying to make excuses for John Romero being on the project.

I wonder if at some point in the game you can make a character your bitch?

…sorry, sorry.

“I can’t leave without my buddy Elf.”

“Elf needs spanking…baddly”

Glad to see they’re taking the franchise in a new direction :/.

Seriously though, this should be an easy win for Romero. If he manages to fuck up an online Gauntlet game, he’s just the worst game developer ever.

Headlines, 2007: “Romero shot the food.”

What can i say? Apart from WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?

Seriously, if it was just Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on Live, it would be awesome. He doesn’t exactly have that rough of a path laid out for him.

Heh.

You have to remember, long before the Daikatana debacle turned him into an online punching bag, Romero was one hell of a level designer. Hopefully this new Gauntlet will reflect that…especially given that he’s now teamed up with Sawyer. Teaming those two up was a smart move on Midway’s part - Doom was Gauntlet in 3D, Icewind Dale was Gauntlet for stat nerds (of which I am one), so producing this new iteration plays directly to their respective areas of expertise.

Trailer (on Gamespot et al) looks pretty spiffy too.

Jesus, I hope it will be a good game despite this monumentally idiotic statement. It’s Gauntlet but… DARK AND EDGY!! Shouldn’t that be “American McGee’s Gauntlet,” then? Or at least “John Romero’s Gauntlet?” Sigh.

It’s a press release. If every game lived up to its press releases, it would be a bizzare, yet wonderfully wonderful world.

Jesus, I hope it will be a good game despite this monumentally idiotic statement. It’s Gauntlet but… DARK AND EDGY!! Shouldn’t that be “American McGee’s Gauntlet,” then? Or at least “John Romero’s Gauntlet?” Sigh.[/quote]

Yeah I think it’ll look all dumb and mcfarlaney. IMO, gauntlet should have cartoony, almost kiddie zelda graphics. (big cartoony hams for food etc…)

IMO, gauntlet should have cartoony, almost kiddie zelda graphics. (big cartoony hams for food etc…)

I agree, but given the market these days, I’d imagine that kind of move would pretty much kill their sales. Besides, the look in the trailer/screens is somewhere between classic D&D and Prince of Persia, which is fine by me.

Nice to see Josh Sawyer back in the saddle. He was pretty disillusioned with the industry after his awesome storyline and work on Baldur’s Gate 3: The Black Hound got canned because Interplay bungled the license, and then his workon Fallout 3 was also cancelled. I think he’s a great designer and storyteller; I hope he can turn the Gauntlet series around. That 4 player POS that came out about 2 years ago was just horrible.

Wait, Josh Sawyer is J. E. Sawyer?

What, you never played the last Gauntlet? They already f’d up the franchise. You could screw up pretty badly and still do better.

[quote=“extarbags”]

Wait, Josh Sawyer is J. E. Sawyer?

Yes, that’s his forum handle. He posts a lot on the Obsidian boards. He’s also been dishing a lot of his Fallout 3 storyline and releasing screenshots from the canned product on the no-mutants allowed Fallout forum.