Might as well let Sleeping Dogs lie

Oh my god! There's nothing more important in life than the Metacritic score of some random game you're probably not going to be playing ten years from now! Someone phone Congress! This is a travesty and it needs to be addressed!

I'm ready to fight you now just because you dared type out the words!

"not to suck it off while you watched."
This.

I like how this comment got four downvotes.

"Good" and "acceptable" are subjective words because what is "good" or "acceptable" is relative to an individual's perception, which is influenced by many things, including their experiences. Tom has played virtually every open world game ever, so it's no surprise that he has less patience for open world experiences that fail to do anything particularly new or well. But you might define "new" and "well" differently, right? That's opinions, man.
So, you still haven't said anything to justify your belief that reviews are objective.

5 downvotes and couting, Metacritic visitors? Tom Chick writes something objective and you don't like that either.

i implore everyone to send emails to metacritic to have this troll site removed from their aggregate scores. Its obvious they are just purposely writing low review scores to generate hits on their pitiful website.

Wow, 2 stars. Same as Max Payne 3. Unbelievable. Meanwhile Lego Batman 2 gets 4 stars...

Ha. You must hate asians or something because this game is really fun. It's very polished and super pretty. GTA4 is more polished, but this game isnt far behind. Graphically this game is superior (playing on pc).

Combat/shooting/driving are all great. Voice acting is great. Radio stations are great. Locale is great.

You cant compare this game to Saints Row/Just Cause/Crackdown. The only thing that they have in common is that they are sandboxes.

SR took the gta formula and decided to not take themselves so seriously. SR is an awesome game that is completely over the top at all times. Did anyone REALLY give a shit about the story in SR3? Purple guys fight red/green/blue guys. Throw hooker through window/off building. Insurance fraud. Hulk Hogan. The end. And zombies. Once again, great game.

Just Cause 2/Crackdown are a couple of my favorite games. Non stop violence with superhero physics. (Shoutout to prototype)

Sleeping Dogs has a character that cant throw a tank or grow parachutes or ignore gravity. Pop a ritalin and enjoy a terrific game.

QQ I dont have time to go on 3 three minute vidyagame dates to make the game even better. Pixelated womanflesh is scary and confusing. Why isnt this game more like other games? This game sucks because it only has like fifteen different things to do. I wish it had freerunning but the parkour button is so stupid. QQ

You suck. Your website sucks. Your review really sucks. The only reason im writing this is because you are so very wrong and stop shitting up my internet.

ok, first of all thitere is no depth to your review, i appreciate you comparing it to all the other games and nitpicking about how this is bad, that is bad, the other is bad, but you make your opinion seem so worthless because you have nothing realistically good to say, you expecting everything to be amazing be the sounds of it and probably feel GTA4 was really good? I think sleeping dogs has been the given the shelf time it deserves, its not going to sell big but it is fun and has had some epic reviews, you can't critique a game soley on its comparitive standing with other games, the handling isn't great but it is not meant to be amazing, its an open world game not a racing game and with a little custom settings would be fine, http://djpixc.wordpress.com i did my own first impressions of the game on my blog

"it's nice to see enjoyable driving and shooting in this context for a change."

and fighting also, hell, i dont think ive seen a good fighting system like this one, it got what batman's had and made it even better, imho.

never knew a rubbish like this can go to metacritic
if he is pay to write a review his boss surely is retarded hiring someone even worse than a dumbass

Just saying, this game is sick... The reviewer here could have been slightly less biased. They could also pop the penis out of their mouth.

THANK YOU for this review. i cant understand why everyone fucking loves this game its a 3 out of ten at best. I love how every mission has the exact same structure or watching wei climb a massive wall one min and then fail on a small step the next. In comparrison to every game i have played recently this game is a complete dud, it has been a huge dissapointment and a waste of 60 bucks. It;s nice to see that someone actually played this game and saw that its garbage. :D
Great Review :D

Can't disagree more.

One of the best open world games, among the most fun I've enjoyed the most. Right up there with Mercenaries 1 and Saint's Row 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 DLC (the AC2 DLC missions were the only difficult, interesting missions in the *entire* AC franchise).

This site needs to be removed from Metacritic.

And Tom Chick needs his Internet licence revoked.

Boring troll "review" is boring.

It's a shame having ground his axe he didn't use it to remove the chip from his shoulder.

I gotta say, I for one dont find this review terrible. I think the reaction this review is a good example of how people refuse to find flaws in things they enjoy and will go to great lengths to loudly defend everything about it. It is quite true that this game has nothing new to offer. The combat is straight from batman. The abilities o unlock are nothing to look forward to. I have to remind myself to use the the various combos and its really easier to fight while just ignoring them. And the slim jim ability - who cares if an alarm goes off? 9 times outta 10 there wont be a cop around and if there is one around it just means I get to go on a police chase which is both fun and NOT at all difficult to pull off. Some minigames are annoying (Asians are known for their love of karaoke so forcing it into this game is a must?) and those that aren't annoying are nothing we haven't seen before. Texture popping is indeed rampant and the storyline is indeed trite and uninspired. All that said, I do enjoy the game. This game didn't break any new ground or even make the attempt, but it was still fun. Oh and the driving physics werent 'godawful' but they werent great either. The ramming ability was cool. The one thing they DID try was to change up the freerunning just a bit, requiring a lil extra timed input from the player rather than just hold down the button and go as in assassins creed. But this took away from the fun without adding anything to the game. If there was more of a reward for timing it well, it would have been more worth it.

I gotta say, I for one dont find this review terrible. I think the
reaction this review is a good example of how people refuse to find
flaws in things they enjoy and will go to great lengths to loudly defend
everything about it. It is quite true that this game has nothing new to
offer. The combat is straight from batman. The abilities o unlock are
nothing to look forward to. I have to remind myself to use the the
various combos and its really easier to fight while just ignoring them.
And the slim jim ability - who cares if an alarm goes off? 9 times outta
10 there wont be a cop around and if there is one around it just means I
get to go on a police chase which is both fun and NOT at all difficult
to pull off. Some minigames are annoying (Asians are known for their
love of karaoke so forcing it into this game is a must?) and those that
aren't annoying are nothing we haven't seen before. Texture popping is
indeed rampant and the storyline is indeed trite and uninspired. All
that said, I do enjoy the game. This game didn't break any new ground or
even make the attempt, but it was still fun. Oh and the driving physics werent 'godawful' but they werent great either. The ramming ability was cool.
The one thing they DID try was to change up the freerunning just a bit,
requiring a lil extra timed input from the player rather than just hold
down the button and go as in assassins creed. But this took away from
the fun without adding anything to the game. If there was more of a reward for timing it well, it would have been more worth it.

Wow. So you're saying that Sleeping Dogs and L.A. Noire are lazy and incompetent games due to the fact that they're far more grounded in reality than Just Cause 2 and SR3? They are completely different games, why give it a bad score because it's not as over-the-top as SR3?

This review highlights some key issues, but criticises them far too harshly. This game has a fantastic storyline, incredible voice-acting for a videogame (hello Emma Stone, in a pointless but awesome cameo) and a physics engine that strikes the perfect balance where driving's concerned - not weightless and unsatisfying like Saint's Row 3, but also not too heavy and 'realistic' like GTA IV.

However, you're right in saying that the parkour was a wasted opportunity, and I for one think the much-praised fighting system has a long way to go before it can even touch Arkham City, thanks mainly to the awful interface (see below). Another problem is the outdated engine (as you mentioned) and environmental graphics, which almost resemble last-gen from certain angles (although the character models are impressive).

Finally, what is with the invasive HUD and interface? I'm always disappointed when otherwise fully immersive games ruin part of the experience by flashing cartoony icons in your face whenever an action can be performed during exploration or combat. We're in a glorious new era of subtle, stylish interfaces as pioneered by Rockstar and Rocksteady; why can't other developers embrace it? Seeing glowing red enemies or tacky button-prompts flash up in a sandbox game that is otherwise very sophisticated is disheartening. The Assassin's Creed series has the same issue.

Rant over! I'd still give Sleeping Dogs a 7.5/10. Most of which can be attributed to Miss Stone.