Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS)

You may find that strategy to work well in some battles, not so well in others. I went minimal too, but then felt the need to mix it up for certain battles.

Great game, Cromulent! Whoever came up with the basic mechanics is a genius.

You mean chaining the normals? That’s true, but the bonus for that is relatively small. A mix of normals with different turn timers makes it more likely to chain them to an elite or champion, for which the bonus is much bigger.

I made an exception for the 2nd chapter, though, because all pikemen+pikemen item was just too overpowered to ignore. That combo sadly even broke one of the battle puzzles (which should have provided a fixed setup instead of using your customization).

I’ve been stuck on the boss battle in the second chapter…that damn guy is whuppin’ my ass.

Make walls, lots and lots of walls.

It’s not that big of a deal, because you still have to use all 3 colors of the core units. It works well in some fights, though.

Ya, that did it. I had been walling, just not enough. Looooong fight though. Thanks!

So I’m stuck trying to do the second puzzle from the dude at the bar. I’ve been trying it for probably 20 tries now with no luck. I really have no idea what’s necessary. 3 turns simply doesn’t seem like enough because of the row of white guys blocking the orange guys and preventing me from setting up my specials.

I can kill two of the angel dudes, but not three. Trying to move the one special is just impossible.

edit: hurf, managed to google the answer. Goddamn. This is why I don’t play chess!

Great game! I would have missed it except for this thread, I’m glad I didn’t. :)

I was having the same problem and solved it the same way…didn’t think about that method of comboing…

Just picked this one up the other day, and add me to the list of folks that think it’s just fantastic. Great blend of rpg and puzzle, but I’m still very early into the game, and wonder if there’s any character customization aside from artifacts.

I’d love to see some form of character creation in potential sequels.

Finally getting around to playing this, and I’ll agree with the others here that the game is good stuff.

I’m digging the fact that it’s actually an original puzzle design (although there are some super puzzle fighter vibes in there), as opposed to, say, Puzzle Quest. There’s a lot of depth in the game mechanics, and I really love the deck-building-ish aspect to unit selection.

Hope this sells well enough to justify a follow up and branching out to other platforms (this would work well on the iPhone for sure).

I’m really enjoying this game, although not being able to view my units’ stats during a battle is a minor annoyance. Also, what’s the deal with toughness? The Treant has double digit toughness, yet dies when hit with 8 points of damage. Shouldn’t it survive such a hit?

If it is active (you’ve put it in attack mode by putting guys behind it), then it gets full toughness. Before that, it is VERY vulnerable. That’s part of the strategy. Note that this is true of the bad guys too. You can take out their biggest units BEFORE they can activate them.

Here’s what I’ve gathered from playing in the first chapter:

Your hero’s stat determines the number of units available for battle, which will consist solely of core units if you don’t use any elite or champion units. If you do, the number of core units will be reduced by the total number of elite and champion units in your army. So, if you have 10 Deer and 5 Druids in your army and your stat is 35, you’ll have 20 core units for use during battle and you’ll be twice as likely to field a Deer than a Druid. It’s a balancing act, since too many elite and champion units in your army will make it difficult to maneuver them out of harms way and position them properly for charging. Throw in walls you create, and it becomes even more difficult.

Okay, that’s what I thought. Does this apply to core units, as well? It would be nice to know what a unit’s toughness is while it’s not charging.

Not sure, since their toughness is low anyway.

No, that can’t be how it works. I’ve just checked on my final save:

Lv10, Command 32

1. Equipped 5 Champions. Started random battle with 30 core + 2 Champs.
  2. Equipped 2x 10 Elites. Started random battle with 28 core + 4 Elites.

So every unit takes 1 Command each. Still not sure about the chance of getting a certain unit. From my limited use of the Champs with a max of 3, they didn’t seem any less likely to show up than the others. Of course, we’d need a much larger sample size to be sure.

As for strength vs. toughness, one is for charging, the other for idle units. Idle units always get destroyed when hit, but reduce the strength of the attacker by their toughness. So Champions with high toughness make great blockers even when idle.

Man, I almost shelved this in the second area – you can get pinned between random encounters you can’t beat. Eventually I cheesed my way up a desperate level or two and it seems to be normalizing out again but the start of the second chapter is a HUGE spike in difficulty compared to the end of the 1st.

Pretty sure that the number of champion/elite units you have doesn’t matter except to keep you from having to go back and buy more when they die.

You know you can decline the random battle with B, yes? If the randoms outlevel you, you’ve visited the area out of sequence and you can play the proper story battles first.

There are sooo many mechanics I still don’t understand, like the damage spread of Phoenixes, Mages & co, the way Academy walls reinforce each other… I hoped the dev would stick around to answer some, or someone would write a FAQ at GameFAQs, but apparently such things aren’t fashionable anymore. sad smilie