Millennial Burnout

WaPo has a pretty good analysis of the terrible economic situation of most Millenials.

Double recession during our first decade of workforce employment, leading to massively slow wage growth compared to previous generations

Lol, what is wage growth?

I’m down $4,000/year with inflation after my peak in 2012. Given that’s about 10% of my gross pay, one might say I slightly feel it.

It definitely sucks to be a Millennial, but they are also the first generation to have avocado toast and Snapchat so it is not all bad news.

I wonder what Boomers sneered over with X’ers, their first-wave offspring?

I mean, we pretty much stole half our good shit from stuff the boomers threw away.
And kept most of their rotten shit.

As I recall it was disco and preppiness. That and their penchant for being buttoned-down young conservatives.

I forget that I was only a teenager in the Reagan baby years. I missed out on slicking my hair back and having Keating as an inspiration. I was one of the home-computer,grunge X’er. Turn On, Tune In, like, Whatever.

I’m a long tail boomer I guess, born in ‘61. I got the correct liberal indoctrination that people a few years later somehow missed, and I recall looking around in the 80s wondering where all these conservative young people had suddenly come from.

There’s your real forgotten generation. I’d call you a Disco boomer, since your “formative” years were the mid-70s.

And everybody, especially the Xoomers and Millies, tend to forget there are a lot of very hippy boomers still floating around out there (see: my immediate boomer family). It’s just the old, power-craving white dudes and elder Karens (which, honestly, exist in every generation, reactionism is not a unique boomer thing) that make the most noise

Heh. A member of the board of directors at one company where I worked once called me a communist. At least it meant she stopped talking about politics with me at those interminable dinners.

Sorry that came off as snarky not funny. It really does suck to be a millennial, I think they’ve had as bad as any generation since the greatest generation.

Maybe they’ll kill a few million Nazis and become greatest gen v.2

They have had it rough with the economy shitting on everyone so often the last 20 years or so. But at least the wars were with “volunteer” armies.

I was watching something the other day when an ad came on, a PSA actually, with an obviously old woman telling the story of her birth while she was under quarantine, and how things will get better. She was born in 1920, and where she was born was still under quarantine from the Spanish Flu. I then realized that was followed 9 years later by the depression, the dust bowl and then WW2. That is a pretty damn tough first 21 years.

Those Greatest Generation kids had some hardcore shit to toughen them up for Hitler.

Now imagine what being a black kid back then was like :\

“Xoomers”, “Millies” and “Karens”. It’s like I am reading a foreign language. Sounds like a real “Chad” move to me. LOL

EDIT: So my daughters tell me there are “Bettys” as well.

Let’s not forget the technology has made all of our lives easier, from washing our clothes, cooking meals,doing our a taxes, most of our jobs, of course finding information and entertainment. The greatest generation had all that to deal with. I’d trade places with Generation X, because I think was better to be a nerd as Gen X, than at the tale end of the boomers, but I wouldn’t trade places with a Millennial, cause they face a dim economic prospects.

Probably meant “Beckies”

Yea, I think I got that wrong.

I think he misses the point here. The issue isn’t millennials vs. boomers. As a Gen Xer who’s also paid off a bunch of student loans I don’t have a problem with debt forgiveness per se. The issue, though is that it exacerbates a huge inequality gap between poor kids who couldn’t afford to go to college in the first place and the rest of us. And I don’t know what the solution to that is.

But that’s how the job market worked for white, male boomers like me back in the 1960s, ’70s, and ’80s: Companies actually invested in their employees, expecting to train you on the job rather than requiring a STEM degree or years of experience at an under- or unpaid internship or fellowship.

That’s the problem right there. The employers don’t want to train anyone. They expect people to invest thousands of dollars in job specific training with no actual commitment to actually getting hired. There should not be a degree requirement for every job we have that isn’t flipping a burger.

Yes, that’s a separate problem. However, if you can solve a problem, you do it. It makes solving that problem easier down the road.

Not doing it isn’t going to solve the other problem.

Personally, I’d means-test this forgiveness based on assets