Mind and Body

What is the relationship between the mind and body?

oh god why

Paging Dr. DeepT!

I have no goddamn idea. Sometimes I think it’s one of the possibilities, sometimes I think it’s another.

Different cuts of meat.

Wow… you can post replies before the poll is even up? Wow.

I was reading last night a wee bit about how common Eastern philosophies associate many concepts that the West associates with the mind, they associate with the whole body – e.g. emotions, attitudes…

I’ve also been thinking about how strongly the Western concept of “mind” is detached from the concept of the body – to the point of seeing them as independent entities. Which seems to cause all sorts of mayhem in the public perception of the field of psychology…

Hey! I’m supposed to be the bipolar guy around here. Go find another board and be their bipolar guy. ;)

The mind is an emergent behaviour of the body.

This is a trick question, isn’t it?

qfmft

I’m going with “mind is wholly corporeal” as the simplest explanation that fits known facts.

I like female bodies better than their minds, usually.

That would be good on a T-Shirt. Just a picture of a brain, and then a picture of a shapely lad or lass, underneath one, “Mind,” underneath the other, “body.” Above the two in superscript, “Different Cuts of Meat.”

Seriously. As soon as they legalize brain transplants I am totally having my friend Eric put into a hot chick’s body. Maybe two chicks, if there’s some extra brain left over.

The body is just an ugly bag of mostly water providing life support for a largely incorporeal mind.

Maybe your’s is. Mine has chainsaw hands.

Bzzzz!

I think they’re going out, but haven’t committed to one another yet.

Besides, they’re both so different in interests it’s hard to see what keeps them together.
“More Food, More Sex, More Sleep! I’m a MAN baby!”
"Ethical Calculus?

I voted for the partially corporeal, assuming you definitely differentiate between Mind and Brain.

Your physical form definitely has a shape on who you are and how you develop, but is there any part of you that is not shaped by your physical form? I think there is.

I basically flipflop between partially and wholly corporeal but I’m in a corporeal mood today. So that’s my vote.

Some (including me) would say there’s a third part, Spirit. That mind and body are totall physical, Spirit is the eternal, immortal, part of us, and that all 3 are woven together.
I like to think of Spirit this way:
You know how scientists say that there are more than 4 dimensions? More like 11+? The spirit is the part of us that touches on/exists those dimensions.