Mindustry - Tower Defense meets Factorio ?

I probably won’t play either. DG still scratches the tower defense itch for me.

The graphics are exactly what they need to be - crisp and clear.

Actually I like Creeper World. It isn’t as busy on screen so it just looks cleaner, so I can handle it’s basic visuals. At least in the screenshots Mindustry looks busy and cluttered.

Compared to Creeper World? I sincerely don’t think that’s true when you see it in motion, for whatever that’s worth. I adore both games, but if anything I’d say CW has more tendency toward visual clutter.

Maybe Mindustry has some promiss for me then!

I think you would like it. :)

Reeeeeeeally like it or, hey it’s fun to get Rob to buy games? :-)

It scratches an itch somewhere on the spectrum between Creeper World 3 and Factorio. If you like those games, this is an easy recommendation - and it’s also only $6.

Why not both.gif ?

One of the things that interested me about Mindustry was how clean it looked, especially compared to Creeper World and Factorio. So to each their own!

This game is definitely next on the chopping block after I finish up Oxygen Not Included.

Was there ever a verdict of PC vs iPad from someone who has tried both?

I’ve tried both PC and Android phone. The graphics and some of the interface elements were clearly designed for a phone. That said, it’s much cleaner, snappier, and “joyous” on the PC. The precision of a mouse makes laying out conveyor systems way easier. And being able to zoom your little mech around with the keyboard is much more satisfying than the tap-to-move mechanic.

OTOH, the game costs $1 on mobile (I think it used to be free), has no IAPs, no ads, and no microtransactions, and is the only thing even remotely like it for mobile. I’ve bought it for both platforms and don’t regret it.

Yeah, I’m playing on my phone and the conveyors are driving me batty.

I can’t imagine trying to play this on a phone.

It works fairly well with frequent use of the pause button, I’m finding. It’s clunky, to be sure, but it’s no worse than OpenTTD. My phone HATES big waves of mobs, though, so that’s probably going to drive me to the PC version sooner or later.

I got it on iOS and Steam. I much prefer the ship controls on iOS, which means you basically don’t worry about the ship. It moves to the center of where ever you move the screen and it auto-fires at enemies. But I much prefer building stuff on the PC. Building conveyers is tedious in both versions, but a little less so with a mouse.

It’s still free on the Play store, the $1 price is just on the App Store.

But I’m really struggling with the controls on a phone.

I think I’m going to have to uninstall this. It’s conveyor belts draw me in, but after playing for hours I’m completely unsatisfied. So I need to break the cycle and stop the draw-in.

Everything in the game takes to long and I seem to spend time waiting around, or fitzing back and forth between the front lines and the factory and not enough time being constructive. I also think the controls are a bit too fiddly. E.g. building a line of nodes is tedious. There’s no Creeper World 3 style click and drag.

I also don’t like the sense of progression compared to CW or Factorio. I keep unlocking more and more resources but I’m not entirely sure I need them. Copper ammo Duos seem to do the trick for ground units

I’m having a better time than you, apparently, but agree wholeheartedly that is needs CW3-style click and drag for power lines.

How far in are you? I’ve found it absolutely necessary to build power-based turrets (and hail turrets with graphite at least) if I expect to be able to hang through the later waves.

My biggest complaint with the mobile version (aside from the seconds per frame I get on big waves) is that there’s no timeskip option. By that I mean, when I’m in the launch window between every 10 waves, I’d really like to have the game calculate how many resources I’m going to gather over the 5ish minutes before the next wave and give them to me when I hit the launch button. As it stands now, I mostly end up just waiting those 5 minutes to eek out the last resources before running with 5 sec left. I’m sure that’s technically hard, but it would save a lot of dead time.

Edit: I do agree with @vinraith that I have to layer in various types of turrets as I get to higher waves. Maybe I’m just not very good at the tower defense side of things, though.