Minecraft: Better Together

New thread since this is the big unifying update for Minecraft.

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-update-here

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/better-together-faq

• This free update for Minecraft is available on the Win10, Xbox One, Android, and iOS versions
  • It adds Realms and official servers
  • Infinite world generation which previous console and mobile versions lacked
  • Cross-platform play
  • Cross-platform DLC
  • A community marketplace for the dreaded paid mods
  • Unified codebase
  • Minecraft: Java Edition will continue to be supported, but it is not the primary version going forward

On Xbox One, the “update” is actually a new title entirely. It will be free for all current players.

Owners of the disc version of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition will have until January 30th 2018 to have played Minecraft for five or more hours in the past 12 months OR purchased a DLC Pack. There is no cutoff for digital Minecraft: Xbox One Edition owners.

It’s not quite ready for Nintendo Switch, but the update is coming soon for that version as well.

Sony console versions not included because think of the children

Is this a Play-Anywhere title on Xbox One/Win10?

Edit: Rats. That stinks. Thanks Telefrog.

Nope.

Q: I own Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition already. Does this mean I can play Minecraft on Xbox One?

A: Minecraft is not an Xbox Play Anywhere title – if you want to play on Xbox One, you’ll need to purchase Minecraft separately.

I just have the Majong one, so I guess this doesn’t affect me unless I buy this from the windows store. However, is all this just un-modded minecraft? Or are there tuns of mods for this microsoft version?

The good news for you is that you can still get the Win10 version for free if you own the old Java version.

Players who have purchased the PC/Java edition of Minecraft can get the Windows 10 Edition for free by visiting their Mojang account. Log into account.mojang.com, and under the “Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition” heading you will find a button to claim your gift code. Pressing the button will generate a token and send you to a Microsoft redemption page.

If you have an older Minecraft account, rather than a Mojang account, visit this article to find out about account migration.

You must be signed into a Microsoft/Xbox Live account, and you must be on a computer running Windows 10 to redeem the code. Your code is saved in your Mojang account details for future reference.

No mods? No thanks.

What I wish they had done was rewrite the entire thing with all the lessons learned from the java platform using the .net platform. That would have gotten us the same mod capabilities, assuming they didn’t completely bork the codebase. Which would be hard, since it was already borked.

Even first-party games aren’t “play anywhere”. Yet more MS gaming marketing bullshit.

My understanding was that all first party games were Play Anywhere, this is an odd exception. Got to recoup that $1 billion, I guess.

What’s funny is that, thanks to my Minecraft obsessed son, I have four versions of Minecraft with separate worlds and achievements going on. So weird this can’t be unified.

I don’t think the “better together” vision is compatible with the mod scene on the original Java version no matter what language it’s built in. As long as unifying PC, console, and mobile versions is a goal, it’s going to be incompatible with that kind of freedom in modding.

Probably. Why I’ll keep my old executable though, no mods is a major downside. My son is rapidly approaching minecraft age too so…

Oh, you can get mods. Just not free ones.

Gotta make that chedda!

Are the mods as extensive as the minecraft ones? IE: Thaumcraft, thermal expansion, etc… or are they simple shit, like adds unicorns to the world or you can craft western themed clothes?

New update!

Responding a year later.

I visited with a friend and he was explaining the better together minecraft he plays with his daughters. The mods are the simple-ish ones. Like texture packs, costumes etc.

But they do include a lot of the mini-game modes that servers run. Survival games, adventure maps, obstacle courses, skyblock etc.

So, no “total conversion” mods, but some stuff at least.

One of the most awesome experiences in Minecraft is building a underwater temple. It make sense for fornite to enhance underwater gameplay.

I don’t like the music of the video. Its some generic epic music. Go get some quality with the same tonne the originals!.

I see where your mind is. ;)

I hate water levels.

hahahaha… sorry :D

So I grabbed Minecraft for my switch. Haven’t really played in ages. There are all sorts of mods built into the Minecraft store which makes things nice. I’m most interested in the exploring stuff rather than the building stuff. There are a few that claim to be ‘roguelike dungeons’. But don’t any of the Worlds you import allow you to use the textures and stuff in a simple seed so you get all the new mobs and whatnot in your world?

So… I have Minecraft on the PC, iPad, and Switch. I have a MS account linked to them. I want to play LAN or online with the PC or iPad and Switch, coop with my young children… but I can’t figure out how to do it. Has anybody done this and if so, can you provide pointers? Is LAN plan on the Switch only against other Switch players? Or do I need multiple MS accounts? They don’t seem to see each other.