Minecraft Dungeons - The Minecraft ARPG

A minor thing I suppose, but cool that I can take my character I played through the game and pick it up on my phone.

Finally. My xbox character is no longer trapped (I don’t have an Xbox anymore while I wait for a Series X)

I was enjoying this in crossplay with my son on the switch and me on PC but the games kept crashing midway through dungeons, which really put a damper on playing. Wonder if it was the crossplay that was the problem?

My son and I missed the last Nether expansion so quite excited to dive in when this one hits since we will have a ton of new content to experience.

My son and I used a mostly rainy Memorial Day weekend to return to Dungeons after a long break. There was so much new content from the Nether DLC, to the Hidden Depths underwater DLC, to Seasonal Trials that celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the game’s release.

I continue to find this game an absolute delight. It is all so charming and has matured quite a bit from the early days. Difficulty can be tuned with impressive granularity and we find it fun to play on the bleeding edge of the Apocalypse+ difficulty levels to the point where we routinely fail missions. There is also endgame content for the players that have seen and done everything in the form of Ancient Hunts which requires one to sacrifice 4 pieces of equipment to enter and optionally sacrifice enchantment points from your character which means tangibly losing levels so the stakes are high but the loot won is quite exciting.

We have completed one Ancient Hunt so far and I found one of my favorite weapons in the game–An Encrusted Anchor (Gilded)–which is the absolute slowest weapon in the game with a ridiculously long animation for the swing, but it hits like a truck. I’ve combined that with armor that increases my melee attack damage by like 60-80% at the expense of losing a similar percentage of total health. I am a glass cannon that wrecks mobs but dies in 1-2 hits. My son has to revive me a lot during runs.

One other new addition that is available in most maps throughout the game is the concept of Raid Captains. Raid Captains are higher difficulty Illagers that roam the farther extremities or optional caves of levels (so they can be avoided if so desired). If you kill one you can pick up their banner to add a bane or negative effect to the level similar to what you see with Daily Trials. In some levels you may see only 1 and others we have seen close to 6. Each kill gives the players an option to add that negative effect to levels such as higher threat, always night, or increased enemy health. That makes the remainder of the map more difficult, but rewards a second special chest at the end. A really fun concept that helps to spice up some of the older levels that may be getting long in the tooth; and another fun way to tune difficulty to one’s liking.

Sorry for the unnecessary soliloquy here. Just wanted to say it might be worth returning to Minecraft Dungeons if you have been away for a while.

I should go back to this. I stopped playing either in the 3rd or 4th level because I couldn’t beat the boss and I kept dying over and over. And then I finally did beat the boss, but it was after so many deaths it felt like a hollow victory, so I stopped playing and put the game away.

Any word on if the Switch version plays better than at launch?

Honestly, it always played fine for me even on launch…personally my kid and I played it a lot and had fun…a few slow downs but nothing that stopped us from playing…BUT, we are easy to please and dont care about issues at times.

Oh, thanks. I’m not too picky either. I got the impression it had super obvious slowdowns. But if not, maybe I’ll go on and grab it. It’s not particularly expensive anyway.

We will finally see what Microsoft has in the cloud!

Cloudy Climb is a nice little game mode. The problem with Dungeons is once you luck into a good fighter’s binding with radiance + decent dps enchants, you pretty much don’t need anything else. There’s also a puzzlely element of the climb where the tower and upgrades are not randomized between each attempt (not sure if and when they refresh, every day?) so you can optimize between runs. Fairly fun, as far as Minecraft Dungeons go.

The big problem is that it’s single player only, which is an issue when the whole point of playing Dungeons is playing with my son (not really good enough of a game otherwise) Did a quick search to see if multiplayer will be patched in, and it doesn’t seem like it’s in the works:

+1 for transparency I guess?

As someone who plays by themselves, that’s still a real shame to hear—I couldn’t imagine it being a huge problem with the balancing. It’s odd for just that section to be cordoned off from co-op.

Wanted to chime in and say I’ve been enjoying Cloudy Climb and the new season pass, as well. Progression is achieved through actions you’d take playing the game anyway (drink x amount of potions, kill x dudes), so I don’t need to worry about being awful with getting eliminations with the Mangler barring me from progressing like in Halo Infinite.

Also, hello everyone! I’ve read Qt3 for over ten years but this is my very first forum post. Hopefully it won’t be my last for the next ten years.

I’m so glad you’ve chosen to post! I know it’s not really a “welcome” since you’ve been here for 10 years already but welcome to the posting side of the forum :D

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! It’s great to be here. :)

That’s got to be close to a record. Congrats if so!!! And welcome.

I want a good ARPG as so many seem intriguing and fall flat as I loved Diablo III and have played so much I think it has ruined me for most others of which I have probably played most. Should give this a try.

If you’re not ripping Tom for screwing up a game’s metacritic score, can it really be a proper First Post? I have my doubts, but welcome anyway. Think I read Qt3 for a year or two before posting. But 10 years? That’s a 9/10 on any review metric.

Most of those people only post one though, right? Wonder what happens to them 🧐

Welcome @pizzasheets !

I’m very much in the same boat! Playing the Diablo 2 Resurrected, I felt spoiled by Diablo III that I didn’t enjoy it as I did all those years ago—D3 has a fast-paced, lightning-whip precision that is unmatched in my books. But, I will say, Minecraft Dungeons has been a wonderful secondary to Diablo. It feels like a simplified distillation of what can make loot games so playable, while introducing new ideas that don’t intrude upon the loot loop.

Thank you all again for the warm welcome! :) In fact, ten years is only an approximation—I’m sure it was quite a bit longer. I was young enough when I started reading that I thought @tomchick’s Shoot Club series was a work of complete non-fiction. I’m 27 now. YOU do the math!