Minecraft Dungeons - The Minecraft ARPG

That end (I assume it’s the end) boss is bullshit with the slow movement speed this game gives you

I’m just shy of reaching the end boss on my first play through, but I’ve seen several movement speed boosting items that I’ve generally ignored. I hope that isn’t a problem! My family is pretty well geared up with ranged weapons, though.

I have armor that increases movement speed but it’s still pretty sluggish. I’ve been focusing more on melee though.

Figured out that if you get the game via Game Pass and want to upgrade to Hero edition you don’t have to spend $29.99 you can just get the $9 hero upgrade.

Also, it’s VERY laggy playing on switch lite. I restarted on Xbox and much prefer that experience over switch.

I’m finding some challenge in the game, though it’s just as likely that’s my familiarizing myself with the games mechanics, weapons and abilities and how they affect my ability to handle mobs. Often the bosses require all the extra lives I have available just to get through, then I have to play cautious escaping back to camp. I’m enjoying that.

It’s great fun played as a duo. My wife had for the enchantments and protection to take down the mobs up close. I’ve got the healing and the rapid fire bow that decimates the back lines.

One thing we really enjoy is that they kept the creepers true to Minecraft. Once you see a bunch of them running at you and sizzling, you better take them down fast or run away. They hurt.

Lots of neat little graphical and audio cues too. This is definitely going to be our game of the weekend.

Tried this on PC with the Xbox Game Pass. Only barely into it, but I really like the look. The ‘World’ of Minecraft is a giant bag of whatever to me. I tinker with MC from time to time on the Switch, but only with various mods and stuff. I’m just not sure the generic world of MC is why the kids today play MC. It’s the building and goofy mods and shiznit. At least that’s how it appears to me. Anyway, the game played smooth and looked really amazing I thought. I’m not a big fan of the original’s super-blocky style, but I think they made MCD more detailed enough while still being blocky to totally work for me. The little village you go thru at the start is cool in a way that evokes playing with action figures in a Lego-ish world.

Pretty impressed actually. Though it makes me want to go buy/play Torchlight 2 on my Switch rather than buy it there. And the Switch is where this game seems to be much more at home that on my PC. But it’s ‘free’ here so I’ll plug away more and see how it goes.

Wow. The Highblock Castle level is no joke. We left it on standard difficulty and the throne room was a mad house. Back for another attempt tonight. I’ve slightly downgraded my weapon to go back to a glaive. Without the range of that weapon, the hordes of guards and imps are murderous.

One thing my wife and I noticed: if a player in your game dies in the middle of a bunch of mobs, running away for a screen or more will generally result in their corpse teleporting to you. Much easier to resurrect them there than on the battlefield.

Yeah, I ran the castle earlier this morning, I got my first ‘game over’ there, it’s just so easy to get swarmed and if you get surrounded in this game that’s pretty much it for you. But I did finally manage to claw through, and now looks like I have to steel myself for the boss. I don’t imagine that will be a walk in the park. Maybe I should try partnering up with someone.

I have to admit, I didn’t think this game would be appealing to me. I generally don’t like this art style, after all.

But after two levels, I’m surprised that I’m really enjoying it. Even though it’s little puppet people, there’s something satisfying about it because, for example how an arrow hits someone and the little person falls down with momentum-based physics. It feels good.

Those last two are tough. My kid and I game overed and had to grind to level 28 and 32 to beat it.

My kids and I had our second and third full party wipes in relatively quick succession on the final level. We’re just drastically short on arrows, and a tiny bit underlevelled so I think some grinding is in order. Hopefully they’re up for it.

Oh, and I picked up the DLC yesterday. For now it’s just cosmetics, but this game is so much fun for the family that there’s no question we want more. I read it’s looking like July for the first DLC level(s), looking like some kind of jungle adventure.

Generally speaking, this has been my measure of success for a level. The more arrows I have, the better I will probably do. Or at least, the easier time I will have of things. Ranged battle is just easier, you can’t really tank in this game.

After 2 levels, we thought the game was great fun. My wife and I are level 30 something now and we think it’s fantastic. We’ve been farming named items and better enchantments to prepare for the final level and the gear completely changes your playstyle.

My wife is playing a souls based build with an undead slaughtering named glaive with expensive powerful enchantments called Grave Bane.

I’m still working on my set. But my artifacts are all about making me unkillable as I dive into a cluster of monster with a 9.5 second attack speed boost to slaughter them all.

We are building up the synergy between our characters and can take down rooms full of mob spawning monsters that would have taken us out in seconds before.

Monster spawners and creepers scare us though.

I also found out that you can keep piling up the TNT today. Talk about big badabooms. :D

I got my ass handed to me by the final boss, or at least what I assume is the final boss, last night. I’m not really sure how I’ll tackle this, took it no time at all to knock out my health and the rest of my lives. I guess there must be a trick I’m not aware of yet.

I guess I should amend my post to say, I did it! Partly by careful husbanding of my extra lives to get to the boss with as many as possible, partly by careful choice of abilities I wanted to use against said boss, but mainly because I cheesed the end boss. I ain’t too proud to admit that.

Also, I only just realized that when you select a level, you can also select a ‘sub-difficulty’, to make the game slightly easier or harder to possibly get better loot and experience. So I also dialed that down a bit as well. Again, a little bit of a cheese, but sometimes you do what you gotta do to get through.

Yep. We always play 1 level harder than recommended to get better loot. Keeps us on our toes when we are under leveled. :)

Congrats on beating the boss! We are halfway through the last level. First attempt incoming soon.

Wow. That last boss is brutal. We managed to get it down by about 1/3 health on our first attempt and it decimated us. We’ll definitely have speed enhancing items on the next attempt. We also went back to farm and level up of our artifacts. Going to be a challenge.

I can tell you how I cheesed the last boss if you need a tip. Partnering up might be enough to help, but I definitely needed a little something extra to get me through.