Minecraft Earth: Augmented Reality for People That Have Phones

Minecraft Earth proposes to completely break the dogma that has lived with us in computing since the beginning: this idea of a single person that holds a single device to create a single experience,” says Kipman. “With Minecraft Earth, that’s no longer the case. The content is in the real world.”

Imagine sitting at home and building something in Minecraft on your phone and then dropping it into your local park for all of your friends to see it together at the same exact location. Minecraft Earth aims to transform AR gaming from single-person experiences into a living, breathing virtual world that’s shared by everyone. If Microsoft succeeds, you’ll be able to walk into a mall and point your phone’s camera at a McDonald’s Minecraft adventure while you’re eating a Big Mac or see your own giant structures next to actual buildings.

A closed beta is planned for this summer, likely to be limited geographically, with a gradual roll-out through the whole world.

The game allows players to collect Minecraft blocks as they walk around their neighborhoods, to engage in augmented reality mini-games in public spaces, and to create their own virtual buildings, which can be shared and explored.

I’ve spent a little time playing the game, and here’s the best way I can describe it: It’s a lot like Pokémon Go, except deeper, richer, more ambitious and more technically advanced.

My son is gonna lose his shit. I wonder if we can get in on the beta?

I wonder how they intend to police folks like the goons going around stick giant dongs everywhere.

That’s…that’s actually a really cool idea.

I’m gonna Minecraft a big arrow on my front lawn and point it at my neighbor’s house. It’ll read, “I’m with stupid.”

The persistent AR creations are reminiscent of William Gibson’s Spook Country.

Can you fix it so that someone who’s looking through their phone has the illusion that there’s a path somewhere there isn’t and they fall to their death?

Asking for a friend.

Closed beta looks underwhelming,

But throughout all of that article, I can actually see glimmers of the game they want to make underneath. Now that I have Vivecraft working in my Oculus Quest, though, I’m not sure an AR version is something I really need.

I have to ask - what is preventing my arrested 13 yo brain from building something obscene in your front yard?

If you are in London or Seattle and sign up for the beta, you might be able to try out the game soon:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-18-minecraft-earth-beta-begins-rolling-out-in-london-seattle

Judging from a preview video by Mumbo Jumbo (a Minecraft youtuber my daughter, and us by extension, watches regularly), it seems like a fun Pokemon Go like toy. But with building.

What I was hoping for was something like you could use your PC (or some other less mobile platform) to decorate an area, like the area around my house and then use the mobile app to “see” what your neighborhood would look like.

You would not download a car.
You would not lie to a GPS.

When did you become a living FACT Warning? :)

No lying to a GPS needed here. I live and work in London.

Be prepared for a different Big Ben being erected in the horizont.