Minecraft! (single player dwarf fortress)

I have a few of the RTX demo worlds installed, but when I try to create a new world and go to Resource Packs it says I have no resource packs.

Weird. I’m getting that same behavior on the 1.18 series now too (wonder if something changed?)

I usually use the Kelly’s RTX Packs series. But it appears that she removed them from the common web sites recently and moved the content to a Discord server instead. More info here if you want to try that one: Reddit - Dive into anything

Diego

GregTech CE Unofficial close to release (1.12.2)

dfgdf

Beside the questbook GTCEu should include a tablet in-game that extensively documents all the features. Including process chains and multiblocks. It’s quite impressive, but it might be delayed from the first release.

In other news, the last GTNH dev version re-adds a controversial feature: pollution. And the number of quests climbs to an absurd 2980. But I’m told some of these are used as filters for other quests, so the active quest number may be lower.

Thanks! That worked.

In other news, whoever works in official capacity is still an ass.

An especially severe security vulnerability has been found that affects ALL Minecraft versions. Both official and Forge were fast to update, but Forge decided that going lower than 1.12 isn’t necessary.

“None of this sounds like a no-work quick fix, though, does it? Hence my warning. So why do all that work?”

This is a Forge dev not only dismissing the work, but even discouraging third parties to fix it. The reason is they think no one is playing 1.7.10 and that it’s not worth the effort.

The fun thing? The GTNH devs already patched it before Forge, across all versions:

“Why no later minecraft revisions? Ask forge people not me. If they can hold back their hostility towards legacy minecraft mod developers I might consider adding a version for them, or they can copy over stuff and make it their own stuff.”

Forge devs are antagonizing the process so much that the 1.7.10 devs have tried to push a patch and Forge is not approving it.

MultiMC also has found a workaround:
https://multimc.org/posts/log4j-remote-execution.html

The fix doesn’t even need a new version of the program, just a relaunch, since it works with metadata. So when you launch again an instance it will be automatically patched live even with an old version of MMC.

As always, it’s unpaid mod devs that carry the torch.

rthteheth

In today’s GTNH adventures, I saw a Blood Moon for the first time. So I’m huddled in a tiny stone house waiting for it to pass. Here’s what my minimap looks like:

Each red circle/icon is an enemy.

My brother and I played a little GTNH while waiting for FFXIV: Endwalker to launch.

We got a blood moon while we were still in the early stone age. After many, many deaths, we made it to dawn, only to find a… drowning? creeper that promptly exploded in my face, creating a hollow sphere of stone that spawns hordes of legendary silverfish when broken and filling the center with water. I drowned, lost all my items, and then couldn’t get back to my grave between the water currents and stupidly destructive silverfish. To make matters worse, the sphere extended into our base, so that got flooded and taken over by silverfish too.

We ended up restoring a backup and turning mob griefing off. Whoever thought that creeper design was a good idea to include in GTNH is a jerk.

Having played just enough to understand what is being shown, those are some really nice improvements.

Does anyone play Minecraft mobile? Are there real mods for it like the Java edition? I have googled this and the “mods” are just a few added items, like you can build a car, or a some kind of furniture or something. I am looking for something along the lines of industrial craft / thermal expansion / tinker’s construct, etc…

Also the UI is horrible, can’t imagine playing on mobile on anything other than peaceful. I also can’t find jack for iron. Tuns of copper though, no real use for it though.

All of the mobile versions of Minecraft are going to be along the same lines as Bedrock, if not Bedrock exactly. So unfortunately, the only mods you have will be those you buy from the store.

The only option for Java mobile modded Minecraft would be some kind of streaming solution from a PC to your phone.

Is there any still-supported-and-updated version of Minecraft that isn’t either Java or Bedrock?

I play on my iPad regularly, when I want some relaxed gaming. IMO the UI is pretty great. I haven’t tried playing on phone sized devices, though.

I love reading dev discussions that are complete gibberish to me, but that still sound delicious:

dfgdfgf

I wanted to write a few things about my current experiments, since I began trying a bunch of packs.

I’ve started Technological Journey, which is a Gregicality pack, but still on the former GregTech Community Edition for 1.12. The up to date versions only distributed on Discord. The more I delve into this, the more everything depends on Discord, this includes Factorio mods too. Anyway, not much to report for TJ, it feels like a less polished version of Omnifactory. The start of the game is very similar since it has the standard overworld and the game directly hands you a resource scanner and a diamond hammer. There’s decent quest support, but more sparse, so you move directly to create GT tools. In this case the differences are likely coming when machinery comes into play. Playing with monsters active the major hurdle here was running around until I could find three sheep to make a bed. Standard Minecraft recipes here. The bed being always the most important item in the game… leading instead to the following.

But the absurd, for me immensely satisfying, is the experience with TerraFirma Rescue. This is a 1.7.10 pack based on GregTech 6… and TerraFirma Craft, which has a “special” reputation.

This is either a chinese modpack or has a largely chinese playerbase, at least looking at github, but thankfully outside some spelling errors it has a pretty good questbook. Problem is… One quest is titled “Everything You Know is Wrong” and this is the kind of pack where your previous knowledge of Minecraft works AGAINST you.

It means everything follows different rules. It also means I spawned into the world, and it was night before I was even done reading just a few of the introductory quests. I’ve died about 10 times before I was able to get a very vague idea of what I was doing. But as in Factorio, the process of studying and learning what the games want out of you, is the fun.

Some intuitions are terribly wrong. I spawned in a small canyon, one of the quests gives a bit of “lore” saying you were on some sort of spaceship that crashed on a alien world, and your goal is return to Earth. So, given the canyon I thought this was a handcrafted location, that the canyon was made by the crashed ship, and that maybe I could find the wreck there and retrieve some useful resources. But I didn’t find any ship, and as I exited that canyon I found a barren world, with just an occasional isolated tree. Like a dead planet. And so I started walking, and walking, and then it’s night, it’s pitch black, and there are monsters everywhere. So what you do? You at least try to dig some dirt to build a wall and wait for the next day…

And do you think this works? Nope. TFC dirt is not Minecraft dirt. It’s affected by gravity. If you place a block of dirt on top of another, it… slides off to the side. So creating a shelter is not easy at all. But who cares, I didn’t start with much, and so I can respawn over and over without worrying. But I respawn in the middle of nothing, and no matter the direction it keeps ending in horrible deaths…

Do you think you can punch trees? Nope, punching trees does nothing. The game wants you to walk around and pick up stones and sticks. These spawn on the ground. Problem is, I could find plenty of stones, but no sticks. And since I couldn’t punch trees there was no way to get sticks even from the occasional tree that I found. Wandering around I was able to find sometime a rare stick, or two, but the game requires you to have at least five to accomplish something, and I was always dead long before getting there. Every time I died I respawned back to the original location in the middle of nothing. Eventually… I figured out that punching the tree branches does work, and it drops sticks with some frequency. Knowing this means I could finally have my starting point: stones and sticks, yay!

What do you do with stone and sticks? Once you have five stones you can right click and “knap” them. You get a custom UI where you can draw a “shape”. JEI through the quest item goal tells you the shape you have to draw, but you’re going to memorize these things. So, 5 stones, knapped, can create a stone axe head. Adding a stick to it creates the first tool, a proper axe. With the axe you can finally gather some wood… But nope, you can’t create planks from wood. Nor a crafting table.

You can instead, join two sticks to create a “firestarter”, then throw three other sticks on top of a block on the ground, aim the firestarter at those sticks, and if you’re lucky you get a bonfire! The bonfire, to stay lit, needs wood logs as fuel. But you can start cooking stuff with it. Like meat from animals, but even vegetables. I cooked a carrot and a tomato, I’m not sure if there’s a difference. But this also has nutrients to keep care of, protein, fruit, vegetables… You can’t just eat the same thing (and if you eat too much sugar you get diabetes and die). And there’s also thirst, so need of a non-salty pool of water to drink, or a fast death.

You can place sticks on a active bonfire to create torches. Yay! That means that I could drop torches around an area to create a perimeter and maybe survive the night. Progress! But of course there are also caveats: torches last 48 hours, then they wear off. Thankfully you don’t have to replace them, but you can go around with a lit touch to re-light all of them one by one! For another 48 hours. If you aim at them a handy tooltip tells you how many in-game hours are left before they run out.

What’s next? There are easy to spot yellow flowers, they indicate that if you dig below (just dirt, so you don’t need tools), you find plenty of clay. You “knap” the clay to create various clay molds. For example I made a jug that when filled with water could become useful as a portable source to drink… But it doesn’t work. You have to cook it to turn it from clay to ceramic. Would the bonfire work? Nope.

You actually have to dig a hole, place one or more clay molds at the bottom, add eight pieces of straw (by cutting grass with a knife… A bit of disappointment here, in GT6 you can’t get straw from grass directly, you have to leave the grass obtained under the sun for some time to dry) to fill half the hole, fill the other half with logs, and then use the firestarter on top of the logs. At that point it’s set on fire and takes a while to run out. When it does you look inside and your ceramic tools are ready!

All of this without even a pickaxe. No digging outside of dirt. No coal, only logs used as fuel for fires. You want to dig? You need some sort of metal. So you walk around, find special stones on the ground that have metal properties. Then make a ceramic vessel with the process already described. You fill the vessel with the metal pebbles you gathered. Then make again the pit with the straw and everything, after you placed on the bottom the ceramic vessel containing the stone metals. When the fire runs out you have a vessel that contains some metal fluid! Hopefully you have already used clay, and cooked it, to make “molds” (if you didn’t, the liquid metal loses heat a re-solidifies, so you have to cook it a second time with the other tools ready), because now that you have the vessel with the liquid metal you can pour it on the mold… and get a pickaxe head! Yay, same process to create a saw! And with the saw you can now turn logs into planks.

And this is just a beginning.

I just finished the main questline of Create: A&B a couple days ago. Probably my favorite modpack ever, thanks for the recommendation @HRose!

Seems like Minecraft might be about to get shiny on the Xbox Series S / X:

That reminds me, I was thinking about checking out RTX minecraft at some point for the PC. It does not support mods right? I mean real mods, things like Industrial Craft, Thaumcraft, theremal expansion, etc… Its just simple things like a mod to add a new boat model and stuff like that. Or does RTX minecraft support mods that can really change how the game plays?

Microsoft trying hard to phase Java and the mod community out, lol

So the way I read that, they were just moving both versions into the same installer, and nothing to see here? Am I wrong?