Miniature Wargames: My Never-ending Search for the Ultimate Army Men Ruleset

Wow, those are cool! I think I still have my (unpainted, of course) Mighty Empires tiles from a ways back. I really want to do some sort of campaign with them.

I ran through a couple scenarios with Nordic Weasel’s 9 Leagues to the Borderlands system that I mentioned upthread, but was underwhelmed. Maybe if I switched to a hex map?

I just hunted up the old solo rules to the Battleground: Fantasy Warfare game I also mentioned, they’re pretty basic but possibly a good start. Since the game already uses a sort of auto-driving component, it might be good for a solo campaign, if I can build a framework for it.

There are beautiful, aren’t they. Makes me want to throw down the money on a resin printer. We just recently got an ender 3 pro fdm printer to play with, but already want to add another. :)

It helps he’s also an amazing painter. Those things just look great. And reading through the thread, he doesn’t even know what he’s going to use them for. “Some kind of campaign game. Warhammer Fantasy Battles or something” o_0

He says Mighty Empires in the hashtag of the first tweet (WFB campaign system).

I took that as just him making the connection that they are similar, and can be used the same way. As I mentioned, in the replies he states several times he has no specific plan. He even says “battles using 10 or 28mm figures”, he hasn’t decided yet, and there are no 10mm WFB rules, are there?

I started writing some epic-scale WFB rules way back in the '90s when I was super into WH40K Epic (the 3rd Ed that completely revamped it), adapted from that system, and even have boxes full of 6mm figures for it, somewhere. I’m much happier with BattleLore (1st ed), now. I wonder how hard it would be to do a Mighty Empires campaign with that? Huh.

Warmaster. Hail Caesar is based on it’s Ancient variant.

Huh. I’ll look it up! I’m so far out of the GW loop. I think that '90s epic stuff was the last time I paid much attention to it. Aside from the Space Hulk reprint, that is.

This is one of my grail games, would love a chance to play it. I also wish that more companies would produce 10/15mm miniatures in plastic (or affordable resin). It seems like Plastic Soldier Company is releasing some ancients models for Mortam et Gloriam in 15mm, and I’m half tempted to pick some up for Hail Caesar (i’ve never played MeG).

Doesn’t ground zero games do 10mm for dirstide (no those are 6mm probably close enough)

What??? 15mm plastic armies? My holy grail…

Oh wait, it’s all quite late. Do they plan to release Bronze and Early Iron armies? I’ve been thinking about building a 15mm successors army for a while.

No idea, but I think the second supplement they plan on releasing is based on Greek warfare, so i bet we’ll see some hoplites eventually.

The models don’t seem to be super detailed, which isn’t a huge problem for 15mm. It is really weird that Plastic Soldier Company doesn’t seem to have uploaded any pictures of the models to their web store. They also don’t seem to sell bases for the models, which is strange since units sizes in MeG are determined by bases.

I might pick up a couple starter armies and the rules and try it out.

The Too Fat Lardies have just realised a turn of the BC/AD large skirmish set of rules called Infamy, Infamy! which looks pretty fun on a first read through of the rules- if you’ve played their games before, you’ll recognise the DNA (variable turns, big emphasis on surprise deployments to get an impression of the fog of war, and buckets of dice for combat resolution) but they’re very good at using mechanics to get controlled chaos.

Also, the Economist covers the industry this week…

I played Sharp Practice by Too Fat Lardies, and found it to be a very difficult game to teach (though admittedly, I was teaching it in my non-native language). It was very thematic, but has a lot of little rules to remember. Also, the “roll and move” mechanism can be off-putting for Warhammer players.

Want to try it again, but I think I may need to find a better rules reference sheet.

yes - the mechanics do have that prob, and someone willing to be a rules lawyer can use them to be a dick, but I suppose it’s finding the right balance in adapting to the flow…

If you get the chance, I highly recommend it. A lot of people hated it- changed too much, streamlined too much, etc., but I really liked all of that, and things like Blast markers- since all units only had one Hit Point, suppressing and disrupting them became an important factor.

There’s a great review on BGG here, if anyone wants a good overview of what I’m talking about:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/560451/no-one-ever-reviewed-maybe-s-why-no-one-bought-it

Rich doesn’t really design games for rules lawyer types. He expects folks to play nicely with each other and in the spirit of the rules and period. I have most of their rules and have been a fan since the 1st edition of I Ain’t Been Shot Mum came out. Some of the most memorable games I’ve had have come from Lardie rules. But very literal minded folks tend to not “get” TFL rules and will hate them. They can go play Challenger II ;)

(full disclosure: I played a LOT of Challenger II back in college.)

It looks like GW has released the latest core rules for Warhammer 40k (link). I skimmed over them earlier and it looks like they are for the most part the same as 8th edition (though written much more clearly), with the biggest changes in the morale phase and removing overwatch for charges.

The new edition has revived a lot of interest in 40k in our wargaming club lately. I even took out some of my unpainted models from the 8th edition starter box and have been (finally) painting them up. That said, there are many other miniatures wargames I would rather play than 40k currently (including 2nd edition AoS, which I still haven’t played yet).

Anyone else looking forward to the new 40k?

Edit: Price of the box set has been released: US$200. I have to admit, its a hell of a bargain for whats included.

I got excited when 8th came out, started throwing some stuff together, and then realized I’d never have time to play after my daughter was born.

That being said, I’m excited for 9th, and I’m going to buy the stupid box set and trade the Necron half for the Marine half if I can find someone to do that.

I’ve been painting Marines as a way to not think about COVID, and I’m almost out of stuff, so I’m looking forward to adding more to the pile.

I’ve still never actually played 40k, other than a couple of in store demos over the last 15 years or so, so I can’t speak to the rules changes.

So I played my first match of 9th edition 40k today. A couple weeks ago I played a game of 8th edition, so the rules were pretty fresh in my head. Brought a 1500 Death Guard army against a (mainly Primaris) Ultramarine army. After playing it, I have some mixed feelings about 9th edition and the current state of 40k (especially Space Marines):

• The core rules of 9th edition are undoubtedly better than 8th. They are written much clearer and are probably easier to learn the game from. That said, they are 90% the same as 8th and still have some of its problems.

• The new matched play rules are more interesting than 8th edition (and probably more fun overall), but they are also more complicated. Minor objectives are much better than the old objective cards (you can actually choose which ones to use). However, it is likely that the minor objectives are not well balanced and you will be a handful being used every game.

• The rule in matched play about gaining 10 victory points for having a fully painted army is bullshit and could easily decide the victor. Easy enough to ignore at least.

• I really don’t like how Overwatch has been converted into a stratagem instead of being a default charge reaction. Mechanically, it helps melee-focused units, but it takes away a lot of the flavor from the charges.

• Still don’t like how cover gives a +1 to armor save instead of reducing the hit chance ballistic skill. 40k is the only game I can think of that does it this way and I always get it mixed up. Also, it makes no sense thematically.

• Lots more command points to use, which makes stratagem even more important. If you like stratagems, then great! If you don’t care for them (like me), then be warned.

• Space Marines already had too many re-rolling special rules in 8th edition, but with the increase in CPs, the amount of re-rolls in our game was ridiculous.

• Whoever decided that the new Space Marine Eradicator unit should be valued at only 120 points was legally insane. Easily the most cost effective unit in the game now, especially with re-roll buffs (which the SMs have in spades).

• At this point, Space Marines have so many extra rules that it is hard to keep track of everything if you’re not an SM player. Even the guy I played against (and the guys watching us) couldn’t remember everything and had to constantly be referencing their rules.

• I understand that Space Marines are supposed to be elite, high tech super soldiers, but they are not fun at all to play against.Unfortunately, 3/4 of 40k players play mainly SM armies, which means you’re be playing against them a lot. Of course this has long been a problem with 40k, but GW has continued to make this situation worse with each editions inevitable SM power creep.