Miniature Wargames: My Never-ending Search for the Ultimate Army Men Ruleset

So I’ve been thinking the past couple of months about trying to convert the Nordic Weasel Five Leagues to the Borderlands I was talking about upthread to some sort of hex system. I like the idea of a campaign warband thing, but I found while playing that the movement and measuring was just too fiddly for me- I guess I’ve lost my patience for that sort of thing in my old age (as well as painting, heh). So I started looking around the web to see if someone has done the conversion work already.

What I found was Frostgrave. And specifically, that someone had converted it to use HeroScape tiles., which I have an absolute ton of (well, I do again since I rescued them today from a friend’s garage where they’ve been for the past several years). So I went looking into it, and found out the game has had a steady stream of supplements and spinoffs for the last 5 years, including co-op/solo books- both freeform and fully-fledged campaigns. Hot damn. And the 2nd Ed. came out last week. And the ePub versions of the books are cheap via the Google Play Store. Ok, fine, you’ve talked me into it. I grabbed the 2e Rules, the Frostgrave Folio and the Perilous Dark (aforementioned co-op/solo rules) for cheap, and have spent the last few hours going through them. I’m most of the way through the basic rules, and it seems perfect for me- no excessive dice rolling, but lots of interesting options. I took some time out to use inDesign to recreate the 2e quick reference on their site to reference hexes instead of inches. I haven’t cracked into how the solo rules actually work, but I imagine it’ll be fine. Hopefully.

If you do go looking, be aware they are still selling the 1e for cheaper than he 2e. I don’t know if that matters to you- 2e is fully compatible with all 1e stuff, but apparently updates and streamlines some things.