Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Rebooting the series

(PC/PS4/XB1, Reboot, DICE, Q1 2016)

new face is kind of ugly

Two years ago we revealed that we were making a new Mirror’s Edge™. Last year, we gave you a behind the scenes look into some of the early progress we had made. And though we haven’t said much else in all that time, we have been listening. Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I’m excited to tell you that it’s paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror’s Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

So on behalf on the entire team here at DICE, we can’t wait to show you what we have been pouring our heart and soul into. We can’t wait to introduce you to Mirror’s Edge™ Catalyst.

Sara Jansson
Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst

A reboot already? There was only one Mirror’s Edge!

But (for EA executives) it wasn’t popular enough to make a sequel. Like, what’s one million of copies sold.

They have to start from zero again.

I am confused, so this isn’t a continuation in any way?

Nope.

The “story” in Mirror’s edge was basically a few cartoons between missions. Just make some more cartoons and bam, Mirror’s Edge 2, no need for a ridiculous “reboot”.

But this way they have an excuse to include even more gunfights! She’s the parkour practitioner with an MP5!

It’s a REQUEL!

Grrrrrr

Reminds me of The Hulk.

If the story was so minimal, why do people care if it’s a reboot or not?

Why do people care for Doom’s story or Halo’s weird lore found in the hidden consoles?

Gotta have the protagonist brow furrowed.

She’s running from the MAN.

Getting the Pacifist Achievement was one of the most difficult 360 achievements I ever got. Fun, but some definite moments of much cursing and gnashing of teeth whilst trying not to throw the controller in frustrage.

Really enjoyed the game overall, as well as the story.

Because it means the people making the game are out of ideas. And that’s a bad place to be.

Does it matter? It isn’t like the story of the first one was worth a damn.

The real reason isn’t that they are out of ideas, but they didn’t want to scare away people with titles like “Mirror’s Edge 2” or suppositions that you have to know the story of the previous game.

Fun fact about Pogue you probably never cared to know: I have a compulsion to beat games in a pacifist fashion for any that offer the option. So this, Deus Ex:HR, and Dishonored were big for me, loved them all. But I played through Mirror’s Edge several times on just about every difficulty, I thought this was a blast. I remember being a little surprised that you could look down and see legs and feet. Yeah I know, it wasn’t the first to do that, just the first that I really noticed. I’ll definitely be picking this up day one.

Lol. I was upset for a sec, then remembered this is QT3.

I actually loved the original. One of the very few games I’ve done more than one playthrough. I just liked the environment mostly.

Mirr2r’s Edge - nope

Mirror’2 Edge - nope

Mirror’s 2dge - nope

Mirror’s E2ge - nope

Fuck it, time for a reboot.