Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Rebooting the series

Heh, that reminds me of Xcom, where my soldiers need special skill to fire their fucking weapons in ways that are not a simple burst. ;P
It feels even more stupid here because you are in control of the avatar, It’s you who is running between skycrappers, instead of just looking at some little soldiers in screen.

Delayed.

June 7th for NA, June 9th for EU.

Even with the delay, this is coming sooner than I’d anticipated.

I was talking about the original game with my brother last week. He was saying he wasn’t sure how he felt about another Mirror’s Edge game. He loved the original, but it was also his most hated game. At the same time, he doesn’t finish many games, but he did finish Mirror’s Edge. I think the last game he finished before that was Freespace 2. So there is something about Mirror’s Edge that kept pulling him along despite the frustration.

And I got my email that I’m in the closed beta, starting today. In addition, I’ve been given a friend key that I’m willing to share with somebody here, if you’re interested. One catch: I am in the Xbox One beta, and you’ll have to be as well. Imagine that cuts down on the pool of takers right there. Also, no strangers. Don’t want to feel like I’m throwing a friend code into the void. Other than that, first come first served.

I’m in the Xbox One beta!

Edit: Woo. Thanks Pogue. I can’t wait to try it out. I hope they make the original game backwards compatible too. I was just thinking the other day that it would be cool to play through it again. I bet its visual aesthetic holds up really well.

Rock8man: the original game has been backward compatible pretty much from the beginning. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m kind of wanting to since running through the beta.

Speaking of which - this beta is pretty good stuff. It’s got its rocky moments, choppy in parts and some textures that are slow to load. But it looks and feels like Mirror’s Edge, just open world now. It’s still great fun to traverse the rooftops, running and jumping on your deliveries and races. I imagine some folks will be annoyed the the RPG elements added - some of the skills you had to begin with in the first game, like 180 degree flips, must be bought with points earned with XP. Combat’s been a bit beefed up too, and I like it. You have more options for handling more than one opponent at once now, it’s possible to kick one enemy into another now, and stumble them both. There look to be a bunch of collectibles this time around, documents, recordings, hidden bags like the first game had, and floating data packets kind of like the orbs from Crackdown.

Some things come off a bit odd - you’ll be running along and come across other people just sort of randomly hanging out on a rooftop, giving you the eyeball. Not enemies or allies, just bystanders hanging out on rooftops, like you do. You’ve also got a Neuromancer-like head chip thing that gives you your heads up, the “runner’s vision” that shows you the correct path, if you want to use it. Maybe that was in the first game too, I forget the fiction.

It’s short, I got through the four or five main story missions pretty quickly, but there are still a few side deliveries and races I could try out. Anyway I’m definitely up for the full game whenever it finally gets released. I really loved the first one, and open world Mirror’s Edge sounds like just the thing to me.

Interactive map of one section of the city.

Q: ‘Is the whole area playable?’

A: ‘The whole city will be explorable. Today we’ve only shown you the Anchor district, but more will follow.’

Wait, so its an open world game?

It is. It’s pretty darn cool. I really enjoyed the beta.

Launch trailer: https://youtu.be/r6GQEtUREWY

June 7th (NA) and June 9th (EU), 2016 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and on Origin for PC

I keep forgetting about this game.

Not me, man. What with the stuff I’ve been reading and what I played in the beta, this one’s a preorder.

I loved the beta. But I was disappointed that people on my friends list didn’t go through the races and tried to beat my times. What good is a time comparison if your friends won’t compete with you?

So that’s my only concern in the main game too. I love the game, but will enough people on my friends list also get it and love it, and populate those races with competitive times? Come on Qt3! Get excited!

Yeah I didn’t get the multiplayer aspect of the beta, I assumed it was just sort of partially implemented. I would see your name on the map (and other folks on my friends list) and I could walk up to where you were, but couldn’t actually interact. I’m guessing that is different in the real game, though I don’t really like the idea of random people walking up to me and trying to punch me.

To be clear, I’m just talking about leaderboards. No idea about those random people in the game either.

“We clearly see Mirror’s Edge as a franchise for the global TV audience,” said Sharon Hall, President of Endemol Shine Studios. “It has a strong female protagonist, a wildly rabid fan base and a worldwide brand that Electronic Arts and EA DICE have done an amazing job establishing.”

Uh… Sure. Why not?

Anyone see a good pre-order deal on this?

GMG has 10% off.

I watched the Giantbomb preview, its looking alright.

I’m loving it so far. It’s obviously much smoother than the beta, and feels fluid and responsive. I love the world they setup so far. Best of all, I love just flowing across the open world, and doing the races, trying to get 3 stars by finding new routes.

I played this for another hour last night. I’m loving it more and more. I love how the fragile delivery missions are pretty much all failures if you take the default route that’s shown to you. So after each run you figure out little shortcuts and different routes to shave off more time, until you can finally make the delivery. I also love how the voice-acting during those delivery missions is very calming, since they know you’ll be doing these missions over and over and over again. If they’d done some kind of excitable character, that could have gotten annoying really fast. But they kept it very mundane. :)

I’m sort of sad at the lack of enthusiasm for this game. I realize it’s not officially out yet, but there should be more buzz here and other places. I guess this one is probably going to flop just like the original did. I hope not, but I just get that feeling from lack of buzz. It’s a shame because it seems to me they pretty much made the game I always thought they should make when I played through Mirror’s Edge: More open world, with more routes, more races and missions that involve running, and they replaced the horrible Esurance commercials with actual beautiful in-game cutscenes.

Too many games, not enough time. That’s the problem with the Mirror’s Edge franchise, it’s always “the other game” and not the primary game people are pumped about.

But, le sigh, I’ll order it just to support the series. With that and NMS I’ll be done for the year I think.