Mirror's Edge Catalyst - Rebooting the series

I’m fairly hyped for this having played the Xbox demo, though I’m still waiting on final PC performance analysis before jumping in (and I hope the load times are much less on an SSD). I do wish they could have found a way to get rid of the combat arenas, but they certainly aren’t as bad as in the original.

I liked the beta and am seriously considering preordering right now. But I agree with Enidigm, there’s always so much going on and I really want to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider. Though I can probably squeeze in Mirror’s Edge before Witcher 3, since I will probably not finish that until I retire …

Tell me about it. Even as a single guy at 55, what with aging parents and such, I only starting to play Just Cause 3 in the last few weeks, and bit on that Batman Arkham Knight deal I posted about in the Bargain thread just this weekend. I am going to wait for a good sale, though.

Oh lord, Witcher 3 expansion, Uncharted 4, Risenof the Tomb Raider (I got this only for survival mode so I think I’m done, the campaign was so badly written i stopped around Egypt), Stellaris, Warhammer Total War… and I still have to save the Western Roman Empire in Attila, which is the hardest and longest campaign in Attila. Plus everything else! Power overwhelming. Seriously I just need to put Qt3 down for several months and stay away from gaming news sites in general so I can Stop the Madness!

Reviews have started popping for this, and while they are positive, it seems they’re mostly reserved. Good, not great.

The change to open-world seems to be a hit. The combat stuff much less so. Story takes a beating too.

Story took a beating? It’s a reboot. It’s a second chance at a story. If you can’t even get a decent story going in your second attempt at the same story, then they might as well not bother. Hopefully it’ll be the death of reboots everywhere. Thanks DICE! You’ve saved us all with your sacrifice

I know how to make this game GOLDEN…

VR folks… imagine that!

Pretty sure that the disconnect between what your eyes see and your inner ear feels would make that a recipe for projectile vomiting. :-)

I find falling from the skyscrapers in Mirror’s Edge already vertigo-inducing. Trying that while wearing a VR helmet might actually be traumatic.

Hey, regarding a deal on this–for Amazon Prime members, supposedly pre-orders and immediate post-release (two weeks) orders get 20% off (physical copies only). This released just yesterday, right?

The thing is, one of the conditions is that it’s 20% off the full price only. However, currently the physical PC version has a ridiculous eleven cent discount, so maybe it doesn’t get the Prime benefit? Pretty cheesy way out if so. I put it in my cart just for giggles and nope, no discount that I could see. Does anyone have experience with this–does it only show up at checkout?

Discount shows up at checkout. I just tried it. Also, thanks for the reminder - I completely forgot about this benefit!

Note that said “physical version” (for the PC, anyway) is just a game case with an Origin code inside it. So it doesn’t save you the download, AND they send a truck to your residence to deliver it. What a waste all around. TBH, that puts me off the whole endeavor right now, especially since I have games fairly coming out of my ears.

It is 20%, who cares if amazon pays to ship it to your house.

Pretty sure they said the full Prime discount will always kick in, replacing any smaller discount. Won’t stack of course, but you’ll never get less than the Prime discount.

If I were really burning to play it now, I’d go for it, but I can wait for a better price to come along in a few months.

I played the first mission so far and am enjoying it. The game just opened up into a bit more ‘open world’. Combat I’ve encountered has been easy and on-the-go. My only complaint about it so far is turning quickly when playing with a controller sucks. But maybe I didn’t notice a fast turnaround button in the controls. Most of the combat has been wall running and kicking people in the head (which knocks low level guys out immediately). Still, the game is mostly about the running - and it does that extremely well.

There’s a 180 degree quick turn on the RB, but it’s part of the unlock tree.

This game is already on sale for $40 at Best Buy this weekend. (Cheaper for GCU members). Probably a sign that it didn’t sell well.

Is it worth it at that price? I really wanted to like the first game, but never really got into it. Even with a new, modern computer the game really stutters at the beginning in the office after meeting the sister. I’d most likely get it for the art and scenery, with hopes that it plays more smoothly than the first game.

Well, I loved the first game, and I enjoyed the first four hours of this one a lot. But what I enjoy the most are the races, and sadly there’s no one on my friends list to compete against yet. I’ll likely pick it up when more people here pick it up. I don’t want to run the races only against myself (though it is fun to run them to get more stars, getting 3 stars on a race is really hard).