You gotta hang in there for this story; it is cooking related:
Years ago during a summer, my brother came to town for a visit, and stayed at Dad’s place.
When he was ready to go back home, he called a cab to take him to the airport, as Dad had left to go to work. While my brother was waiting for the cab, he sat in a chair by the window in the living room that nobody used much, and turned on a lamp that didn’t get used much.
The lamp shorted out, there was a loud ‘pop’, and the lamp went out.
Just then, the cab showed up, so my brother didn’t have time to investigate or fix the lamp. He just left.
Weeks later, Dad tried to use the lamp, discovered the short, repaired it, and then had to go and turn the breaker back on, as it had been tripped weeks before when my brother turned the lamp on.
Months after this, Thanksgiving arrived, and Dad went out to the garage, where he had placed a turkey in the deep freeze the summer before. Can you see where this is going?
The turkey was frozen of course, but Dad had no idea that the deep freeze was on the same breaker as that living room lamp. Thus the turkey had sat in that non-functioning freezer for weeks in the summertime before the breaker got turned back on, and he never knew it because he lived alone at the time, and didn’t use it for much else.
When we arrived for Thanksgiving dinner, Dad was running out of the house, carrying a smoking turkey in a pan out to the trash can, where he dumped it in. He claimed he had gotten a “bad turkey”.
When we went into the house, the smell was so bad that we couldn’t eat there even if there was food, and went to a restaurant instead.