Missed RTS?

But MAX and MAX 2 were simultaneous TB… not really real time… STILL good games.

I’d also like to add Warwind. Wargasm. War Games. War Inc…

etc

Best Game, Ever.

It’s on his list.

Troy

On his list.

Personally, I don’t like lumping the TW series and the Paradox games into the same genre mindset as your typical harvest/hoard/havoc RTS. The Total War games are real time wargames, with the big strategy part being turn based. The Paradox titles move in real time, to be sure, but at a measured pace so that the time pressure isn’t there most of the time.

Troy

War Wind, if you’re truly old school.

Also, Z. And the Lords of the Realm series.

I’d certainly recommend Kohan 2, as it’s still modern enough to be playable.

Empire Earth, which for all it’s faults, was still a robust and huge history RTS.

I also don’t see Age of Empires 3 on your list.

Ugh, Kohan 2 is nothing but a pale shadow of it’s predecessor. Kohan 1 is simply marvellous but Kohan 2…ehhh…

I second whoever said that you should try and get into turn-based strategy games. Definitely check out

Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic
Galactic Civilizations 2
Space Empires IV
Dominions 2 (and 3 soon)

Blarg back at ya.

I’m a big detractor of Kohan 2 myself, but mainly because i felt it was boring and was lacking in choices that were interesting or engaging, but if we’re making an uber-list of RTS games it would have to be on there. And it was still a fine game - only that like so many B list games, there were others released around the same time that were (imo) better overall.

The Total Annihilation choir whom sing the praises of the Allmighty Game (Praise be unto Arm) whom preferred big maps and “strategic” decision making over tactical battles would like any game from the Kohan series.

… and you can’t seriously say Kohan 2 was worse then Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, one of the worst AAA list titles ever made; a game that cruched through Pentium 133s back in the day like it were a cpu benchmark. And it’s “balance” was absurd and non-existent. Hardcore gamers almost universally panned it as trash. Despite many cool ideas, it was only bearable if heavily modded. It’s also why i can’t help but be cautious about Supreme Commander.

Highway to the Reich (or now, Conquest of the Aegean), for a serious wargaming take on real-time strategy.

Based upon your list I can see that you’re definately a fan of action RTS’s. Which is great because, well, me too.

Give Act of War: Direct Action a go. It’s quite good, possibly the best modern warfare RTS ever made. It definately smacks of a Starcraft feel but with a C&C look. And the single-player has LIVE-ACTION CUTSCENES! Huzzah!

Atari basically killed what should have been a hit by completely bungling everything they could think of, and a few other things besides - I would say it was akin to shipping a priceless work of art on a burning ship. Hopefully the Eugen guys talents won’t go to waste like this in the future.

Considering Evil Genius, Battlezone, Sacrifice, and Commandos are also on the list, I think we can assume a relaxed definition of RTS.

And under those circumstances, I would also add Supreme Ruler 2010.

not exactly an RTS, but close: Darwinia!

Darwinia is nice, but it kinda gets repetitve after a while and the novelty wears off. Still, a very entertaining and unique game for most of the playtime.

Well, yeah. It’s his list. I was just making my usual pedantic point. ;)

SR2010 is a good call. It’s an interesting game that could really use more focus and fewer menus.

Troy

Warlords Battlecry in all its iterations is a GLARING omission.

Also… Seven Kingdoms I and II. I’m impressed by Conquest: Frontier Wars. Great game that many skipped.

More… Blitzkrieg 2, Codename: Panzers Phase One and Two. Soldiers: Heroes of World War II. All Starforced though I think…

Also, because I had to tell the designers at E3 just how awesome it was and you should play it too… RAILS ACROSS AMERICA! That’s not traditional RTS, but man does it ROCK!

Well there goes my already bloated backlog. I’ll probably check out Kohan and Warlords for sure. I keep hearing about them in other RTS threads too.

Total Annihilation is my all-time favorite. Now I’m really interested in checking out Kohan. With that in mind, should I bother with the sequel, or just stick with the original?

Roguefrog, just go with Kohan 2. The original doesn’t hold up very well on a tech level. Some folks might disagree – mostly Kohan 1 fanbois – but I think the sequel is even better on a design level.

-Tom

I think you should play both.

Disagrees and froths at the mouth

Boy, is that a loaded question around here…

I would say I think Kohan 2 is better overall than the original and its stand-alone expansion Ahriman’s Gift; but I miss some of the units from KAG and I didn’t like some of the interface changes.

EDIT: My biggest complaint with K2 is that the units in each faction are too similar to one another. Each side basically has their take on light and heavy infantry, light and heavy cavalry, and archers, with both generic and faction-specific support units thrown in. KAG had more faction-specific units in it, IIRC.

Honestly, I still think the series as a whole is worth checking out: there’s enough differences between the three games to give them each their own flavor.

[How is that for a straddling-the-line post?]