Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning - Car stunts, train stunts, horse stunts, dance stunts

2 hours and 36 minutes… before the credits.

Hype intensifying

Mission: Impossible 7’ First Reactions: Tom Cruise Conquers Critics With ‘Impeccably Made,’ ‘Exhilarating’ Action Film

Here’s something to blow your mind:

The first Mission Impossible came out in 1996.

Tom Cruise has been making these movies for nearly 30 years!

That’s crazy.

My only memory of that first movie is “hey, I didn’t know Emilio Estevez was in this mo— oh. Nevermind.”

I saw it opening night, movie theater packed with fellow college kids. It was a fun time.

Yes, good memories seeing that movie for the first time. I remember people being upset that Phelps was made a villain, but I’d never seen the show.

I wonder why Emmannuelle Beart didn’t appear in many more American films.

Haha! YES! They get it!

You can actually see him getting slower, especially comparing MI3 running along canal, with the latest running in candle-lit church/whatever.

He was still in his 40s for MI3 and that was 17 years ago.

He runs better at 61, than I did at any point my life. D:

Loved it. That did not feel its length, the whole thing just flew by.

My father is a huuuuuuuuuuuge M:I fan and I’m thinking about taking him and my mom to an IMAX showing. Technically it opens tomorrow, but it’s preview day today and there have been shows all day. Jeezus, 3 tickets is going to be $70. But wait, this is Regal and it’s Tuesday. YES, THEY ARE DOING REGAL VALUE DAYS TODAY.

3 IMAX tickets for $35 purchased. So act fast if you still can.

Okay, just got back. TLDR: See it.

Longer version.

Just like with Top Gun Maverick, Cruise shows up pre-movie with McQuarrie to thank the audience for seeing this in a movie theater. Hey, dude’s doing his part to try and save the industry.

This one takes a bit to get going. The prologue is really long, and has a lot of parts to it. And there’s one scene in particular that is very DePalma-esque, which is fitting because we also see the return of Henry Czerny’s Kittridge, who we last saw in the first Mission: Impossible movie.

And then the Mission: Impossible theme and credits roll and this movie takes off like a rocket. The momentum starts to pick up, and when it gets going it gets going. The set pieces and chases keep escalating, and Tom Cruise is going to get himself killed trying to top this one. I went in as blind as possible and didn’t watch any trailers or commercials, and I was absolutely delighted.

In addition to the M:I gang we all know and love, we get return visits from Vanessa Kirby and the aforementioned Henry Czerny. They both get a lot more to do than their previous appearances. We also get a bunch of welcome newcomers. Esai Morales does a wonderful job playing the big bad in an action movie, which is unexpected. Pom Klementieff is practically a revelation. Yeah, she’s in Guardians of the Galaxy, but you’d be hard-pressed to recognize her without all that makeup and prosthetics on her head. She’s absolutely gorgeous and has a lot of fun in a bunch of action scenes. Haley Atwell also has a major role. And then Shea Whigham does what Shea Whigham always does, which is provide great minutes off the bench. Dude is like the current king of character actors.

The only major complaint is that, yeah, it is very much a Part One. If you’re looking for resolution, you won’t find it here. But it’s still worth it. So see it in a theater. Tom Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie will thank you for it.

SPOILERS. SERIOUSLY. STOP READING UNTIL AFTER YOU’VE SEEN THE MOVIE.

The emotional centerpiece of this movie is Ilsa getting killed off, which is a shame because Rebecca Ferguson has been absolutely amazing in the role for three movies. My father wasn’t happy. He, too, is a Ferguson-stan. Her fate is sort of telegraphed early on, especially when they also introduce her replacement, Haylee Atwell’s Grace. I’m not a fan of the trade, myself. Ilsa’s death interjects some stakes into what is otherwise another over-the-top McGuffin hunt, and provides some extra motivation for Ethan. But, seriously, that dude has never needed motivation. When you think about it, their relationship has been so weird, and I can’t help but wonder if it’s Cruise who prevents anything remotely sexual in these movies. There is obviously chemistry between the two, and some kind of implied pseudo romance going on, but we’ve never actually seen them kiss. In three movies. The most they ever do is hug fondly and hold hands. It’s so strange. It’s as if Cruise has become some kind of warrior monk, but for the church of crazy movie stunts. So, alas, Rebecca Ferguson, you’re missed already.

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Lots of good physical comedy to this one. I guess that’s always been there to some degree, but there were a few spots that had me laughing out loud.

So you guys tricked me into watching Tetris and Indy 5. Don’t let me down this time. I still believe in the power of QT3 movie recommendations.

This was fun. I was super tired so I microslept at the end of the intro scenes, right before the title sequence, but then like @Woolen_Horde said, it just built and built and I was in.

Favorite action: probably the end of the train sequence when they climbed through one falling car after another.

Favorite theater moment: the guy behind me who whispered “holy shit!” when Tom Cruise was midair with the bike after the mountaintop jump.

Pom Klementieff looked really cool, was quite a maniac, but reminded me of her villain sidekick role in the Oldboy remake. :(

A little bit, yes.

I realize plot doesn’t matter but am I missing something here? I mean, it’s a given I’m dumb…

The AI wants the key because it’s the only way to access its source code which could potentially stop it? Which seems dumb, but OK… So once the AI’s man on the streets, Gabriel killed the lone US director who knew the location of the downed sub, it seems like the problem is over. Who needs the key and why would the AI want Gabriel to open it, unless it was to have Gabriel destroy the source code?