Mlb 2011!

I don’t see anyone offering Jeter more then the Yankees, other then maybe the Mets or Red Sox for spite. Jeter is not worth the $15m/per he has apparently turned down given his age, defense, and production, so why would anyone else pay that or more?

The Mets don’t have money for spite, so maybe the Red Sox, but I doubt it.

The Red Sox front office isn’t that stupid. The fans would crucify them if they signed Jeter.

Uribe to the Dodgers for three years, $21m.

Gotta say I agree with the linked analysis of the move. Uribe is a fine player, and I don’t think that this is a bad move, but in a good year the dude puts up a .310 OBP. That’s brutal, and more than offsets the value that his power provides. He is, of course, an excellent fielder at SS and a valuable player on balance. But when you already have Theriot providing similar value and still in arbitration, three years is a long time to commit to an aging middle infielder.

Eh, I don’t love the signing but I don’t hate it, either. $7m isn’t going to break the Dodgers’ bank, and taking away a division rival’s starting SS is worth something.

Yeah, Furcal just hasn’t been getting it done. He’s been injured for a significant part of the season for the last three seasons. So far, decent moves for the Dodgers but I doubt you’ll see them in the playoffs.

Reports the Rangers are courting both Lee and Andy Pettite away from the Yankees since he doesn’t have much of a bargaining position.

If the Rangers managed to land both Lee and Pettite I’d be laughing so hard my sides would explode almost instantly.

Chances of getting both actually happening? < 1%.

— Alan

Happy arbitration player acceptance day! (That’s a day, right? Screw it, I’m celebrating.)

Twins reportedly will have Pavano, Hudson, and Crain all unsurprisingly decline. Sad to lose them (well, not that sad about Crain), but four draft picks! Hells yeah. Still really curious if Jimmer comes back to mash some taters for the club next year.

P.S. Is it wrong for me to be looking forward to Nishioka being a “bust” as a league-average second baseman?

Various notes:

• Dodgers traded 2B Theriot to the Cardinals.
  • Jamie Moyer is having tommy john surgery but wants to try and comeback in 2012, when he’d be 50.
  • Rockies signed Tulowitzki to a long-term extension.
  • Rangers resigned Mark Lowe and signed C Yorvit Torrealba.
  • the Rangers have denied talking to Pettite.

Jorge De La Rosa also resigned with the Rockies. 3 year deal with the 3rd year being a player option. There is also a 4th year club option.

There’s nothing about declining arbitration that means they won’t sign with the team. It’ll just be an FA contract instead of a 1-year arbitration deal.

The Rangers avoided arbitration by signing Lowe to a one-year deal, but part me of thinks they’re just giving him a full season and that’ll be it–it’s do or die time next year. If he gets majorly injured or doesn’t perform well they probably will just dump him by the end of next year and just figure he’s a lost part of the Lee trade.

Torrealba will be replacing Molina; not sure what to think of it. He obviously knows how to handle pitchers, though played in half of the Padres games last year. With the Rangers he’ll play a lot more, even if they resign Treanor or bring Teargarden back. He’s definitely not an arm improvement, however, which is something we kinda need. (Teagarden I think has the best arm of all the Rangers catchers from the last few years but he’s still raw everywhere else.)

Rangers also signed a Japanese setup guy who had some very good numbers for spring training. But, he’s also 35-36.

— Alan

Sounds like the Giants have signed Miguel Tejada to a 1yr / $6.5M deal.

There were worse options out there, but I feel they rushed into this after the Uribe deal.

I’m aware. None of these guys are at all likely to remain with the team, though. I’d give Pavano a <20% chance of remaining with the Twins (Godspeed, sir!), and the other two a statistically insignificant likelihood.

From Keith Law on the Twitter:

Should have spent it on a shortstop instead. RT @extrabaggs: (Giants) had $5-7 million budgeted for a starting SS and spent it on Tejada.

Hehe.

It’s like Sabean is just taunting the blogger GMs who like to criticize his tendency to overpay on declining veterans. “Suck on this signing, bitches!”

Okay, I guess Sabean is still a fool. Though I liked the Huff signing I absolutely hate this one. At least it is only one year but just a real bad signing.

Henry Schulman is reporting that the Giants actually offered Uribe nearly the same contract as Los Angeles, $20 million/3 years and would’ve matched it but he wanted $25 million instead.

Dunn to the Whitesox. 4 years / $56M.

Also, Giants re-signed Pat Burrell to a 1 year / $1M deal (with supposedly lots of performance based incentives).

Boo, that makes the White Sox better. Not unexpected, but boo. Feels like they’re overpaying a little bit, but not disastrously so. Boo.

Kind of surprised to see Dunn end up with the White Sox. But that seems a bit overpriced for what he does. Supposedly Pierzyinski is resigning with them as well.

Seattle decided to go another round with Erik Bedard. I guess they think the odds are that he’ll eventually had a decent healthy season. At least it’s cheap. They also managed to trade non-tendered Jose Lopez to the Rockies for an actual player. I don’t know what the Rockies are thinking.

Word is Mariano Rivera is about to resign with the Yankees at 2 years, $30m, which is not a pay cut.

Also surprised to see the Dodgers non-tender Russell Martin. Seems risky if they think they are just going to get him back cheaper - there are a lot of teams looking for catchers this offseason. Signing Rod Barajas as a replacement seems like a downgrade.

He had another good year, though. Hopefully the Dunn signing means the Orioles will swoop in on Konerko.

I bet the White Sox keep Konerko too. Dunn should be a DH, where Konerko’s defense is regarded as decent (UZR really, really hated him last year, but for his career he’s been largely average defensively). And they luuuuuuurrvvvv him in Chicago.