MLB 2016: It's an even number year

Many of the great remembered things about the All-Star game happened before interleague play and before games were televised every day of the week. The All-Star game was great because you would see players in the game that you never saw on Saturday’s Game of the Week. It was (other than the WS) the only time you saw them unless you saw them live. Those days are gone.

Many were also pre-free agency as well. Players had pride in their league back then. Now, who cares.

https://twitter.com/castrovince/status/804337915723661312 Best record is certainly better than the all star game, but not without its flaws. The NBA can get away with it because their schedule isn’t as imbalanced. I’ve seen some support for the best league in interleague but doubt the NL clubs would go for that - they’ve only been on top 4 times, last in 2003.

The best way to decide who bats first, duh:

Jaime Garcia to the Braves for a trio of prospects, one of whom might actually be pretty solid, but nothing spectacular.

Jaime needed a change of scenery. Just very little organizational trust in him anymore in St. Louis. Maybe playing for his next contract, he’ll pitch to his considerable potential for the Bravos.

What? No McCutcheon talk here? Biggest name likely to move. I feel bad for Pittsburgh fans. But likely a good move for the team if the haul they get pans out. Which is always a big if.

McCutch was never the same after he cut his dreadlocks.

Look up-thread.

That condition has been bothering him for I think literally 10 seasons. Remember it being discussed during the 2006 pennant stretch.

Odd to have waited until December to get the surgery done.

Ah, yes, my bad.

We digressed on the CBA and All star game…as we do.

But yeah, have to think last year was an aberration for Cutch. I know he’s had some nagging knee problems, but nothing to suggest he can’t go back to being where he was. In fact, last year after getting a long weekend off at the end of July, he posted an .855 OPS the rest of the way.

Hearing lots about the Nats coveting him.

Whoever gets him will want to lock him in to an extension to make the overpay worthwhile.

Gammons saying he’s heard rumors that the Dodgers re-upped Rich Hill for 3 years, “40+ million”.

Depending on what that plus sign is, a solid move.

Welp, looks like it’s done.

Rosenthal says the Melancon deal is 4 years, $62M.

Amusingly, the Washington Post story about the Nats missing out on Melancon says at the end

Free agents with closer experience include Greg Holland, Neftali Feliz, Santiago Casilla, Sergio Romo.

USA Today already placing Harper in a Yankees uniform in '19:

Oh God I hope not. And I can’t think of any team that would give a 15 year contract. I don’t even understand why a player would want that. Every 5-6 years contracts tend to make a quantam leap up anyway so why would you want a contract longer than that.

But the Yankees, who are just getting out from under the ARod contract…would they do it again with Harper?

When you’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars, does another 50 million really matter? Makes sense to take the sure money and protect against injury or a case of the “getting old” destroying your earnings.

Various articles have made Harper a Yankee for years. It could happen, but they act like the Yankees are still in a league of their own spending. They were 25+ million behind the Dodgers last year and while the off season is young they could fall out of the top 5 in payroll this year. Obviously they will be in on him but it is silly to act like they are the old Yankees with a payroll way beyond other teams.

I think Stanton’s 13 year deal with an player opt-out (maybe more than one) is a good reference if you want to think about what it would look like. Except more like 500 instead of 325 million.

Just as a note, Stanton’s extension bought out arbitration eligible years at the front which is why the first few years are comparatively low.

Giancarlo Stanton rf

13 years/$325M (2015-27), plus 2028 option
signed extension with Miami 11/19/14, avoiding arbitration
15:$6.5M, 16:$9M, 17:$14.5M, 18:$25M, 19:$26M, 20:$26M, 21:$29M, 22:$29M, 23:$32M, 24:$32M, 25:$32M, 26:$29M, 27:$25M, 28:$25M club option ($10M buyout)
Stanton may opt out of contract after 2020 season
full no-trade protection
award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-Star. $0.1M for league MVP. $0.25M for LCS MVP. $0.5M for World Series MVP
perks: right to purchases 8 season tickets annually and stadium luxury suites for 5 games annually

I think too many teams have been burned by 10 year plus contracts that the chances of a player getting one are diminished these days. That being said, I think Harper, if he keeps his production levels up and doesnt have another year like 2016 may be in a unique position. His age ( he will only be 26 yrs old when he hits free agency ) works in his favor as the best 10 years for a player, physically, are the meat of that 10 year contract. A 10 year contract may not be so far fetched under those circumstances.

Chris Sale to the Red Sox for at least four prospects, two of whom are Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech.

Was a time when smart baseball wiseguys were really leery about LHP in Boston, but in the last two seasons the Red Sox have added two of the best five lefties in the game to their rotation.

Interesting.

Nats fans are gonna be bummed.