MLB 2016: It's an even number year

Quintana is probably next to go. Bring on the rebuild!

Sale should have got at LEAST one proven major leaguer… Bradley or Benintendi. Moncada is a great prospect… but theres a chance the Sox get nobody for Sale. That WAY too high risk for a player like Sale, especially with his cheap ass contract. Sox should have waited a month at least. jeebus.

So sometime today (barring a failed medical exam) the Cubs will be getting Wade Davis from the Royals for Jorge Soler.

Also…it looks like ex-Ranger Ian Desmond will sign with the Rockies today.

Encarnacion’s market is said to not even be in the 3y/60m range right now. Giving me slight hope the Indians could make a run for him.

Bautista’s is worse with a few teams not even considering him (Rangers and Orioles I’ve seen at least) due to his charming personality.

Yeuch, either to the Indians is a nightmare :/

Wowowowow. White Sox are really having a great offseason. That was a team that needed a rebuild, and with the pieces they just got for Adam Eaton, along with what they got for Chris Sale, they’re putting together quite a foundation.

Well, I knew the cyborg wasn’t long for the Royals, and I doubt Soler will be any better than Rios or Aoki were, but to me the scary thing about this trade is that with Herrera now becoming the closer, Soria moves into even more high leverage situations, and he was a complete disaster in them last season.

Soler is 24. He’s got a lot of upside.

Brrrr. Very cold…

Yes. I would wager that, 5 years on, Soler is regarded as the best player in the deal. What he needs most is something that he wasn’t going to get with the Cubs, even with Fowler almost certainly gone.

A regular starting slot.

He needs consistent time to develop. He showed flashes this year, but wasn’t getting regular play. And he wasn’t going to next year either. He has the ability to be a regular starter, and I could see him getting an all star nod at some point a few years down. If I were projecting he seems to me that he will most likely be a solid 2-3 WAR player if he develops. Maybe it won’t happen, but he strikes me as a decent middle of the lineup guy, who has some power.

Chapman to Yanks. 5 year deal. Jeesh, all these long-term signings of closers.

5yr/$86m for Chapman is absolutely ridiculous.

Great couple days to be a White Sox fan - after these dismal last 4 years, this rebuild is nice. Quintana, Melky and Robertson are next - Abreu may be as well. Good times!

My goodness yes. With some pieces still left to trade–I’d say Quintana is likely gone next–the White Sox leave the winter meetings with at least: Moncada, Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez, Kopech, Dunning, Basabe, and Diaz. Merry Christmas!

Agreed. Chapman has been very good but its extremely rare to get a closer that does that year in and year out. Closer is one position I really dont think long term contracts are the greatest idea.

Why I don’t miss him for that money, or his personal problems.

But Yankees gonna Yankee. Long may he live in the shadow of Mariano.

Cardinals confirm to local media outlets that Dexter Fowler will be in town tomorrow for a physical.

That probably means something’s cooking, no?

Yep. Well, hope this works out…

They have a news conference in an hour, so it looks like it’s done. And thank goodness. I love this move. Fowler had the highest OBP of any leadoff hitter in the majors last year, exactly what the Birds need.

The only thing they gave up is money. The trade market had gone crazy, and I don’t think they should trade Reyes for any outfielder who they don’t see as a potential Mike Trout. They also give up a draft pick, of course, but I suspect they were going to lose that anyway. The hacking scandal will now cost them a second-rounder next year :)

They’re not going to catch the Cubs in a year. But they’re a lot better today, and they’re better without compromising their chances to match the small bears in two- to four years. And, heck, if you look at this as Fowler-for-Heyward, I like it even more :)