MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

The guy who hit that ball that caromed of Canseco’s noggin was Carlos Martinez who sadly died of cancer in 2006.

Carlos’s son, Jose, currently plays as a fourth outfielder for the Cardinals. Drove in all 3 runs today in an STL win, in fact.

Speaking of Canseco, he put his own spin on the HOF inductions yesterday…

That certainly fits with my mental image of the kind of guy Pudge is, but I’m not entirely sure that’s exactly the kind of accolade he was expecting to hear on induction weekend.

In one of the nicer baseball stories of the year, the Cubs are giving a World Series ring to Steve Bartman.

Oh, the trade deadlining! Tons of last-day moves this year, seems like.

Edit Missed this one first time, big because Washington’s bullpen has been so terrible. They got Kintzler from the Twins.

And unconfirmed, but big if it’s real…

Lots of smaller stuff, too. As both a Cubs and Tigers fan, I of course paid attention to this one:

Emotional aspect to that one as Tigers GM Al Avila trades away his son Alex. After already trading close family friend JD Martinez a week or so ago. No one can accuse Al of letting his emotions get in the way of baseball realities!

As a Royals fan, I’m pleased with the moves Dayton Moore has made. Dumped Travis Wood and got some nice BP pieces in return (then again Wood was supposed to be that good piece himself), and the Melk Man is coming back. Also, Moose stays put to try and put a merciful end to the club’s embarrassing single season HR record (36!).

Really needed another starter, but KC’s minor league hopper is pretty dry at the moment.

Looks like the Darvish trade has indeed gone through:

No question the Dodgers are going all in this year. Of course, if you have the money behind the Dodgers, you can afford to.

This catch by Austin Jackson at Fenway last night:

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous. Seriously wish I’d gone to Boston just to see it in person, lol

Too bad the Rays don’t go to Houston more often. Maybe Archer will end up on a (non-Houston) AL West club someday.

ESPN posted an “on this day” bit about Aug 4 1993 when Robin Ventura learned that charging Nolan Ryan on the mound may not be the best idea. Nolan was 46 and still got the better end of that encounter. Nice little nostalgia trip, watching that…Bo Jackson in the dugout, Pudge behind the plate, Ozzie Guillen dancing around the scrum when the benches cleared.

Robin wasn’t counting on Ryan’s noogie delivery to be up to the quality of his pitches.

Nolan Ryan used to pound his fists into sacks of rice to strengthen his arms and did lots of weight room work long before that was the standard in professional baseball. Ventura never stood a chance.

I count 5 good punches Ryan throws to his face before the rest of the team tackles him. Fun stuff.

Stolen from Jeff Sullivan!

Also, don’t miss Grant Brisbee’s classic post about Casilla’s second at-bat.

golfclap
Would have also accepted Cash Considerations

Hoping someone with number 17 chooses “Channel” in honor of Andy Messersmith.

I remember that. Steve Carlton did as well. Both are in the Hall, so there must be something to it.

Now, I’m not the biggest Joe West fan. He’s got some old-school habits that I’ll be happy to see die out when he retires. But this is just stupid.

That’s a story you tell about your career, not defamatory remarks. Even Beltre had no problem with it. MLB went way overboard in the reaction here.

I actively dislike West, and I’ve got to take his side here. League commissioners are almost uniformly horrible, so that they bungled this to make me sympathize with West is… not shocking.