MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

Carlos Santana’s teammates show him strong support after he got hit by a pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FnBXF4kXBA

Jose Ramirez had two home runs today assisted by Detroit outfielders. One of them I suppose could be called the Volleyball Home Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHgrNv7oIbA

It’s been a rough few days for the Cubs pitching staff. Gave up 12, 5, and 12 runs in the last three days, plus Jake Arrieta left tonight’s game with an injury. So it’s not surprising that a position player ends up pitching in the 9th tonight in Pittsburgh. That player tonight was outfielder Leonys Martin, which wouldn’t be particularly remarkable except that this is the first time he’s played in a game for the Cubs. What a memorable way to make your debut for a new team!

Ah, I was wondering about that while watching the condensed game on MLB.tv, which doesn’t have commentary. The camera was lingering on him a lot in his inning and there were loads of meaningful looks and apparent joking comments being made. There was a chyron saying it was his first game, but I assumed he was a pitcher and thought they were overegging a debut quite a bit. I know Maddon likes to sub pitchers a lot, but that seems a bit extreme.

So, Mikie Mahtook, the guy who volleyballed the Jose Ramirez homer over the fence on Sunday, hit a drive of his own the very next day to that same spot…

Poor Mahtook. Mahtook pooka.

I’ll just place this random article in this random spot;

I thought that going to be a cool high tech heist, but it sounds like they just used the watches to receive SMS messages in the dugout? Like couldn’t have someone just yelled the information?

He can take comfort in the fact that he is now the Tigers’ best hitter. Either him or John Hicks.

Woo hoo, Giants officially the worst team in MLB!

Now, if only I had any confidence that management had any idea what to do with high draft picks.

Way to prove me prophetic guys!

So, the Apple watch thing cracks me up, and I’m a Red Sox team.

On the one hand, if it was a couple of players who all got new toys and had a “hey, wouldn’t it be neat” moment and tried it out, I could laugh it off. But some coaches are implicated.

It clearly didn’t do a damn thing since we lost the series anyway.

What is it with Boston pro sports teams and their nefarious and hilarious cheating ways.

If there’s one thing us baseball nerds can agree on, it’s that data is awesome.

My favorite part of the process explanation:

No surprise at either the top or bottom of the list.

I agree with the fans, the bacon-wrapped hot dogs at AT&T Park are really good.

Poor Oakland Coliseum. Still bottom of the barrel by a long way. And that’s after they built a new, nicer bar on the premises and put in (a lot) better food options.

I’m surprised by the low ratings for Chavez Ravine. Never have been there myself, but baseball dorks get pretty rapturous about it.

Chavez Ravine is one of the oldest parks in the majors right now (behind only Fenway and Wrigley). It’s not great by objective measures IMO, but it holds a lot of nostalgia for people. And its good enough that its not that annoying, like Oakland’s O.co Coliseum.

I’m more surprised by newer facilities like Nationals Park, Marlins Park and Yankee Stadium rating so low. I’ve been to a few games at Nationals Park and I will say that the one word that comes to mind is “concrete.”

That stupid water feature knocks off a couple of stars.

I’m not that surprised. I haven’t been since the early 2010’s and I understand there have been some improvements since, but it was pretty much a dump.

I keep waiting for a new stadium announcement for the Dodgers, and it keeps not happening. Maybe they’re waiting for the WS parade.