MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

really sorry to see the news that Rockies 14-game winner Chad Bettis is going to have to step up his chemo due to the spread of cancer to his lymph nodes.

Horrible.

So Italy’s playing Venezuela today in the WBC, and Drew Butera tries to score after a relay on a sac fly goes awry…

…and Butera (the Kansas City Royals backup catcher) dives right in to the surgically repaired knees of Salvador Perez (the starting Royals catcher, and their franchise player).

I’m wracking my brains to think of a dumber thing a player could have done in the WBC series, and I’m coming up empty. I mean, I know the temptation is to blame the WBC, but this was a special brand of stupid on display by Butera.

Guess he really really wanted that starting catcher position.

Looking at the replay, the good news is that he didn’t appear to twist the knee or tweak it sideways. The bad news is that’s the same knee he hurt in ST a few years ago, which resulted in a torn meniscus and being out till late June.

Also, apparently pitcher Francisco Rodriguez hurt himself of the same play. Bizarre.

Dang it! Jason Kipnis is going to open the season on the DL with a strained right rotator cuff. And that’s just the kind of injury that could linger all season.

Few days old, but Twins “prospect” Trevor May lost his season to a UCL tear.

He’s a talented guy, hasn’t really done all that much in MLB, but he was hoped to start the year in the rotation and this is so not what the stupid Twins need right now.

Sounds like Salvy will be OK. So that’s good news for both him and Butera. ;)

Rockies having a nightmarish spring training. As noted last week, they lost an arm they were counting on in Chad Bettis earlier, although I’m guessing him missing the season for treatment is the least of anyone’s worries right now. Yesterday, though, their big free-agent signee, Ian Desmond took a fastball off the hand and definitely has a broken bone that will be at least 6-8 weeks…and as any ballplayer will tell you, hand/wrist injuries for hitters tend to be among the worst because they can screw up your swing for a while.

Some good news for Cleveland, Michael Brantley has been displaying his pre-injury swing in simulated games. I’m keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

I want to believe.

US moves on to semis! Team Japan awaits.

This WBC has been pretty awesome.

Oddly enough I’m hoping Puerto Rico pulls this out tonight. A lot of young guys who love playing and would be really good for the game.

I don’t really care all that much who wins tonight. Just happy they finally made it to the Finals.

USA v Japan had some pretty decent viewership numbers.

USA! USA!

I guess I’m happy Team USA won, but I was kinda rooting for PR too. Feel bad for Yadi; dude clearly poured his heart and soul into this thing. In the end, the weak PR pitching staff was their undoing. Could only go so far with smoke and mirrors and Molina stealing strikes.

And don’t forget Baez, whom is why I was rooting for Puerto Rico. Guy is a joy to watch play, which is why I’m glad he’s a Cub.

The trio of shortstops from Puerto Rico are a joy to watch, so I was bummed both that they lost and that it was a blowout. For selfish reasons I’d also have liked PR to win to entice the US guys who sat out to participate next time (even though I understand financially why they would).

Good to see that the attendance and viewership numbers keep ticking upward. Would love to see the final turn into a best of 3 if there’s an agreeable way to do it – PR was completely dominant until they weren’t while the US was saved multiple times by Adam Jones on both sides of the ball.

According to sources the Indians are trying to sign a 7 year deal with Lindor. And obviously when I say “sources” I mean the GM’s son on a spring training broadcast.

And when you say “son,” you mean seven-year-old son. An unimpeachable source!