MLB 2017 - A new weird reality

The Gibson call is from almost 30 years ago. Vin was just a tad younger then. And if you watch the clip, you’ll see the silence is during the loud celebration in the stadium. It’s not just dead air.

Pillar last night:

Just another typical Pillar catch. If it weren’t for that Kevin Kiermaier dude, Pillar would have a couple of gold gloves.

Incidentally, here was Kiermaier last night.

Around the league…

…hope we hear good news on Pirates pitcher Jameson Taillon. Easily one of the most dynamic young arms in the NL, Taillon had surgery for testicular cancer on Monday. Here’s hoping they got all of the cancer and that he’ll make a full, speedy recovery.

…The Bartolo Colon show may be done. He’s just getting absolutely cuffed around in Atlanta.

…Matt Harvey’s suspension is raising a lot more questions than he’s answered, even with his apology.

…and finally, all of baseball (and especially the medical staffs) will be on Royals pitcher Seth Maness, who had the new elbow reconstruction surgery at the end of last summer. He’s back, about six months before that would normally be expected. The surgery is only available when the UCL in the elbow tears at the bone. It can then be re-attached and bolstered with some kind of fancy-pants surgical tape that speeds healing and recovery. Maness looked great on a rehab stint in AAA this month, so it’ll be interesting to see if he’s able to get MLB hitting out.

Another day, another Mets pitcher bites the dust.

And for the second time in the same series, Kevin Kiermaier turns a rolling single into a little league home run.

Without the need for Josh Thole as R.A. Dickey’s personal catcher, I thought the Jays would be getting an upgrade at the backup catcher position this season. I figured that there must be somebody who could play the position and provide a better bat than a .169 average.

We got Jared Saltalamacchia who was not particularly good defensively and hit for .040 before being let go. His replacement, Luke Maile, is batting .030 although he’s done a better job defensively.

Well this is an embarrassing way to lose a walk-off:

Jose Canseco sends his regards.

So apparently as of today, 6 MLB teams are the ratings leaders in their markets, outdrawing broadcast, cable, etc. Everything.

St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland and Houston.

Baseball is dying.

We should all go like that. I think it has become more regionalized than football, but that certainly doesn’t mean the local interest isn’t still strong.

More good news for Cleveland today. Corey Kluber had a strong return from the DL, needing only 77 pitches to toss six scoreless innings against Oakland.

Fitting right in with the thread title:

Great day around the league. Edinson Volquez throws a no-hitter Maddux, (under 100 pitches, no walks…and yeah, no hits allowed.)

Then tonight Albert gets number 600 in style with a grand slam.

Kid might make it.

Hell yeah, Edinson. He did actually walk a couple hitters, and almost left the game via injury on the first play of the game, but hung around and struck out the side to finish it off. Dude pitched in a WS victory on the day his father died. He deserves a day in the sun.

5-4-5-10. A box score line to remember. Always good to see a guy named Scooter making history.

I was listening to Cubs radio when he hit the fourth, and after the news came across they were talking about how unlikely it is that the normally light-hitting Gennett would pull this off. Ron Coomer had a good comment along the lines of “every one of these guys at the major league level is at the very top of the game, and can break out on any given night.”

I had a popup on my iPad last night after he hit his 3rd homer, saying “watch his next at bat on MLB network” and I was like “yeah, sure, I’m not switching from (insert random show)”… and 10 minutes later the popup saying he hit his 4th homer shows up. If I’d known he was gonna really do it I woulda watched!

After the Rangers pounded 4 home runs early, the Indians were down 9-2 going to the bottom of the 4th. They promptly scored 13 unanswered runs the rest of the way to win 15-9. The Tribe’s lineup hit zero home runs, but had a .463 batting average and an on base percentage of .553 for the day.

I guess throwing a teammate under the bus wasn’t such a good idea after all.