MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

I dropped him last week.

And I will be checking on Reyes. :)

EDIT: Nope, somebody already has him.

Sometimes, you gotta turn to the collegiate ranks to find the new market inefficiency.

I heard a cool story on NPR today about the Road Warriors, an independent Atlantic League team. They play only road games, traveling all season. Got to be a rough life, even by independent pro ball standards, but they don’t seem to have trouble finding players.

Another story about an independent league - this one featuring J. P. Howell:

2014 Detroit Tigers rotation looking good.

Go ahead and drop Alex Reyes if he’s on your team. Dammit.

Reyes was lifted in the 4th inning of his return start. Team announced the next day a “significant” lat strain.

Heard from someone today who I have no reason to doubt that the Cardinals medical staff has never seen muscular damage in tear this bad. It is so bad, that they’re sending him to see Dr. Andrews, and they’ll do the repairs there. He won’t pitch in 2018. And, frankly with the severity of the tear(s) that were described to me, he may not be able to pitch in 2019. Might not make it back.

Damn, I saw he got hurt in his first start back but had no idea it was that bad. Really sucks for him, wow.

Ugh, that sucks. Sorry Trig.

Anyone got any good links to draft analysis? With the way the Royals are playing this year it’s about all I have to occupy my time. It does seem like they may have gotten a steal with Brady Singer in the first round but I’m a little dubious about drafting nothing but pitchers with the first five picks.

Also I just learned that googling “Royals Singer” does not bring up the baseball-related links I was hoping for.

Especially when one considers that the most successful starting pitcher Dayton Moore has developed in his 12-years tenure as Royals GM is Danny Duffy. After him…Sean Manaea? - who has never pitched an inning for KC.

I hope George did the gentlemanly thing and take her out for crab legs at The Bellagio.

Yordano Ventura

But I agree that they’ve been truly terrible at developing starting pitching since, well, I guess Gubicza and Saberhagen really.

… and 8 of 13 of the players selected so far. Something something against the wall something something.

Who knows, maybe the post break call ups will be… not terrible? I’d like to say they could only be better but lately the Royal’s mantra has been “hold my beer”.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/newell-brands-to-sell-rawlings-brands-for-395-million-1528203488

Maybe inconsequential, maybe something to keep in mind if we see another huge swing in home run totals.

This is pretty great.

Welp.

Don’t look now but it seems like Jordan Hicks has figured out how to strike people out. After a miserable 8 strikeouts in his first 20 2/3 innings of 2018, he’s now enjoying a stretch of 16 K in his last 12.1 innings. Still not great numbers on the year with 24 K in 33 IP but improving quickly.

The Ohtani news is just crappy for baseball overall. He’s a pretty amazing talent and it sucks having to wait almost 2 years for him to come back, if he’s able to at all.

LOL.

Pace of play, and the larger issue of ensuring that the game is adequately entertaining and action-packed, has long been a focus of Manfred and this committee. That could ultimately include banning defensive shifts, implementing a pitch clock and an electronic strike zone, limiting pitching changes, and whether analytics have slowed action and need to be counteracted with new rules.

The people who run baseball really hate the sport of baseball.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mlb-competition-committee-to-discuss-changes-to-sport-during-tuesdays-meeting/280771608

I don’t know why they don’t just go to 3 inning games. That’s my preferred length in MLB the Show and it works great! Think of the time savings!

That’s not even enough time to drink your $11 beer!

This is why we cannot have nice things. That sucks. MLB needs Ohtani.

Hicks has always had a wipeout slider, but he’s only just learned to command it well enough to throw. Thus, up go the strikeouts.

Other thing I didn’t know about Hicks: he’s a type 1 diabetic. He’s sometimes had to check his blood sugar in the dugout and even in the minors take a insulin shot during games.