MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

Fuck’s sake. Trout’s a quiet go-about-his-business kind of guy who happens to be the best baseball player of his generation. Isn’t that enough?

There are plenty of superstars who want that if Trout doesn’t. Hell, after listening to him last night I’m all aboard the Charlie Blackmon train.

Machado to the Dodgers for a 5 player package. Thought it was a bit tacky for the announcers at the All-Star Game to ask him about playing for LA while he was still officially an Oriole… it would’ve been a bad look if the deal ended up falling through.

Hand and Cimber to the Indians for Mejia, their former #1 prospect. I like this deal a lot - Cleveland gets the bullpen help it desperately needs with long-term control to answer the “what happens when Allen and Miller walk after 2018” question and give up a guy who was reluctant to switch positions away from catcher. He’ll get a shot to catch with San Diego while there was no clear path to the bigs in Cleveland.

With Machado coming to the Dodgers and LeBron going to the Lakers, fans are going to be insufferable here in LA.

Well, there is no guarantee Machado will stay in LA, and Lakers fans are already insufferable. Lakers are the closest thing to Yankee fans in major sports. Well, maybe add the Cowboys fans.

Presumably Seager will be back next season and wanting his starting spot.

I would imagine if the Dodgers sign Muchado he will play third with Turner going to second? Or will Seager’s arm limit his ability to play SS and he ends up in the OF?

I have read a few things where the thought would be that Seager would spend a season at 2nd to lessen the strain on his arm coming back and by that point it probably works itself out in 2020 moving Machado to 3rd and Turner to 1st/OF. Puig is gone after this year, Kemp (shockingly he isn’t a negative) after next so the OF is a little more clear. Not that these are bad problems to have.

Of course, they’d have to resign him first.

The Dodgers payroll is already huge for 2019, they might struggle to pay Machado as much as he gets offered elsewhere.

$127m is committed to seven players (one of whom is the retiring Chase Utley)

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers/payroll/2019/

Their current payroll is $204m, with Machado earning $16m.

According to Tim Kurkjian of ESPN the real guy of value in the deal that the Dodgers gave up was Diaz, the outfielder.

The Dodgers got themselves under the Luxury Tax (even with Manny now) this year. Most everyone expects them to blow past it next year now that they have reset the escalating penalty by getting under for a year. Same thing the Yankees have done.

Both teams did that to go after Machado and Harper. I don’t think the luxury threshold would stop either team.

Why would the Yankees go after Harper?

Er, why wouldn’t they? He’s gonna be target #1 for every team that’s trying to get better this offseason.

The Orioles are trying to move Zach Britton as well. If they do, and considering that over a third of their remaining schedule is against the top four teams in baseball, they could make a real run at the Mets’ modern day loss record.

Royals: Hold my beer.

I more meant they have had a plan to get under the luxury tax for the 2019 free agent bonanza than specifically Harper. While I am sure they are very happy about it, I don’t think anyone expected the Hicks breakout or the Stanton acquisition a couple years back when they started the contract maneuvers. Gardner is going to be 35 and while they have a relatively cheap option on him next year, I don’t think they’d turn down the future OF/DH rotation of Judge/Harper/Stanton/Hicks.

That said, they obviously done need him, but if he wants to be in pin stripes I can’t imagine they say no.

I think Harper is over rated. And the Yankees could do much better with their money by trying to buy a few starting pitchers. Granted I don’t know who if anyone of value will be available next year.

Harper is the The Last Jedi of baseball stars. Terribly uneven, aside from HR’s his offensive stats are a let down, never 100 RBI. Even his WAR sucks most years.

Cool story about Paul Goldschmidt and Dodgers hitting coach Turner Ward.

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180719&content_id=286451640&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari

Goldie reminds me of what guys used to call Nick Lidstrom in Detroit: “the perfect human.” Has it together in all areas and isn’t afraid to share the credit.