MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

Last night I guess we had our first sanctioned, pro ball game 2-pitch inning, between two A-ball teams. The Braves affiliate in Rome, GA was visiting the A-ball affiliate of the Pirates.

In the 10th inning, as they now do in the minors, a runner was placed on 2b for West Virginia. The Rome pitcher pitched, and the hitter smacked a line drive up the middle…

…right into the second-baseman’s glove, and he stepped on the bag to double off the placed runner.

The next batter stepped in and smoked a hard line drive his own self, down the third base line, but right into the glove of the Rome third-baseman.

And so, 2 pitches, 3 outs.

Huh. Well, that’s one way to keep the pitch count down for your reliever, I suppose.

I suppose for that to happen in the bigs, it’d be something like an intentional walk to lead off the inning, then a sequence like what happened in that minor league game.

Good call. Yeah, the team would have to issue an intentional walk of the leadoff hitter (maybe that happened to Barry Bonds or McGwire a few times?) and then the line drive out has to go to 1b to double the man off.

The horror, the horror

The twitter thread 100% delivers, though.

Yeaaaugh.

He almost beat that out.

In other news, looks like the Nats have given up on the postseason. Daniel Murphy traded to the Cubs for a minor league IFer, and Matt Adams goes to the Cards for:

So the Nats are trying to save money for signing Harper. They should have traded Harper for some young talent at the deadline or before.

That is the worst and also best Photoshop I’ve seen this year.

Just to clarify something; the Nats put Harper on revocable waivers in an attempt to trade him. A team (allegedly the Dodgers) claimed him, didn’t work out a deal, and the Nats revoked the waivers.

And the hits keep on comin’, What a year.

No point in playing through pain at this point.

Also:

Truly best for Posey right now. I came to terms with the Giants season about a month ago, I’m glad the org is too (though it would have been nice to trade for some young talent before waivers…)

This was amazing to watch. Literally took my breath away.

That’s nearly as good as Mikael Franco’s.

You put someone on revocable waivers so you can test the water. Why they went that route atthat time I have no idea. That is usually done after the trade deadline.

Yes, that is literally what Dan said.

And it is done in August with dozens, if not hundreds of players–and has been for well over a decade–after the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but before the September 1st postseason roster freeze.

If you’re going to test the waters on a player like Harper at his salary, it would be in August, when a team presumably willing to pay the rest of his salary this year would insist also on having him available for postseason duty.

I just want to say I really love the fountain at Kauffman Stadium. It’d be shame if something happened to it… like flooding the outfield.

Oh wow. I love the fountains too…but man. Someone’s gotta find that water main and turn it off!

I saw “Delay” on the scoreboard, and wondered what was up.

Uhm when did Murphy CUB KILLER become a Cub?!? Like when Jim Edmonds CUB KILLER became a Cub ten years ago. I’m ok with getting players like this, thanks Theo.