MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

Addison Russell may be taking a vacation from baseball for a bit. Yikes.

Yikes. Not a very nice person.

That’s awful. Every time one of these stories comes out it makes you wonder how it stays hidden…or if it really was. Someone likely knew, and ignored it. I hope the Cubs act swiftly and decisively now that everyone is aware of the problem.

I wonder how long it will be before sports teams start to require family counseling or something similar as a condition of contracts? Catch this stuff before it blows up.

That is happening.

Someone forgot to put on Rizzo’s muzzle, unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/Kelly_Crull/status/1043186559405703176

Honestly, I don’t really know what else he could have said other than the fact that he should have said no comment which it seems like he realized half way through answering. This was very shortly after the new details were shared so it’s not crazy that he didn’t know all the details at that point.

There were allegations a while back and Melissa Reidy-Russell declined to cooperate with the investigation at the time and so it just kind of stalled out. She just shared a lot of information (I haven’t had a chance to read it all yet either but obviously it’s terrible) and the team and MLB were very fast to respond.

I don’t know what else they could have done. I didn’t see anything in Rizzo’s quotes defending Russell or minimizing the situation. It just came off as someone who was in the dark who was trying to comment and then realized he should just shutup. Saying the investigation was taking a long time (which it has been) isn’t a judgement on the investigation itself or the validity of the allegations, it’s just a fact.

Plus probably more than a little frustration that this comes out now, with the team the likely WS favorite from the NL. I suspect he’s more than a little pissed at Russel, because this hurts the team.

Because if the selfish twat wanted to find a more effective way to hurt the team, I’d be hard pressed to think of one.

I hope the next time Russel shows his face in public, it’s in a court.

I can’t help but feel that this taints the Cubs’ World Series crown, as Russell definitely contributed with those 9 RBI. Baseball should launch an investigation into the impact he had and then possibly transfer the title. Could keep it in the city - maybe give it to the Sox instead?

But also, yeah, this is terrible and I hope everything works out in the best way possible for the victim here.

I’m not sure we’re really disagreeing. Silence should have been his default response.

I mean, his quote isn’t really a very big deal…but still “I haven’t read what it is, so don’t know what’s going on, but hey…why is this taking so long?” is pretty close to the most meatheaded response possible. Which fits, I guess.

I read Rizzo’s comment as an expression of frustration, not a complaint. I would be pretty pissed off and frustrated in his position.

I also appreciate it when players give honest responses. Sports are entertainment, and cliches are boring.

I mean, it has been going on for over a year. That is pretty crazy.

Thanks for sharing, great pic. I love watching replays of pitchers who know when they’ve given up a walkoff dinger without even watching the ball – they just walk off the mound to the dugout. (Of course I lack any examples at the moment).

Ahem

Bite me.

They already had Aroldis Chapman, so this isn’t a new development or anything.

Welp, looks like Bobby Evans is officially out as GM of the Giants, and Brian Sabean is semi-retiring or something close to it.

Seems like there’s some decently sourced rumors that the Giants may have the first female GM (in the person of Kim Ng), assuming she’s interested in the job.

There was a rumor last night that Ned Colletti was the front runner for the position. Giants (and Dodgers) twitter was having a field day with it until other reports came out saying he wasn’t really in the running.

Well, D-backs walk it off against the Dodgers. The only fun race in baseball left is can the Rox and Cards team up to keep the LA shitheads out of the playoffs altogether, or at least make them play to get in.

I wish I thought the Giants could help, but we’ll be pretty lucky to squeak out one win.

Hell of a start so far for German Marquez (who is only 23 still?!) in COL as he strikes out the first eight hitters in the game, tying a ML record. Then Nick Pivetta, hitting .105 with 20 Ks in 38 AB on the year, steps to the plate. On an 0-2 pitch, he manages to tap a weak grounder back to Marquez, who botches the throw to first and ends Marquez’ bid to possess the record on his own. He walked the PHI leadoff hitter next, then racked up his 9th K to end the 3rd.

Earlier in the month, the Cardinals made a swing through Colorado and then Los Angeles, and I swear to jiminy, between Walker Buehler and German Marquez, I’m not sure I’ve seen nastier stuff by any major league pitcher this year.

Those two fellows, Dereck Rodriguez in SF…NL West has some great young arms.

I haven’t watched many Dodger games at all, even though I live here, so have missed out on Buehler starts. His stats sure look nasty though.

Man, these division races are getting fun. It’d be super-cool to have the Rox-Brewers-Braves win their divisions, and the Cubs and Dodgers having to fight it out in the play-in game. Nice to see some new teams in there this year.