MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

I’m not that enamored of those stylized C’s. They remind me of the crooked C of the 70’s which I didn’t care for:

crooked%20c

I’d prefer reaching back to the old Horseshoe C:

horseshoe%20c

While obviously a C is a C and all and there’s plenty of teams that use one, I can’t imagine that they would go that route with the Reds actively using it in the Red color now. Unless they wanted to do it in navy perhaps.

“Consumers will still be able to purchase items with the logo on them at the team’s souvenir shops in the stadium and at retail outlets in the northern Ohio market, but those items will not be available for sale on M.L.B.’s website.”

Of course. Gotta keep the racist-logo market happy.

In the past, Cleveland used the Horseshoe C while the Reds were using it. The Reds generally use the Red C with their white caps. Even when they use it with the alternative black caps, they put a white border on it. So I think the Indians could use red on blue, but they probably won’t go back to the horseshoe anyway.

Apparently it’s some sort of technicality also that Cleveland is required to do to retain the trademark and thus keep others from creating counterfeit merchandise with Chief Wahoo on it. At least at this rate they can control the supply a little.

Kind of. They could lose the trademark, I suppose, but they’d still have the copyright surely. How old is the logo?

Apparently it’s a sizable market. Based on 2016 sales, Indians merchandise is right in the middle of the pack, outselling some much larger markets:

It’s been on the uniforms in some way since 1947 (so 71 years ago). Arguably, it was created by someone else a decade or so earlier, but it wasn’t officially used by the team.

Indians also have been doing a lot of winning, that certainly helps.

I’m sure there were high-fives all around the boardroom when they thought up that excuse.

On that you may very well be 100% correct.

Pour one out for the greatest hair in baseball history: Oscar Gamble has passed away, age 68.

I mean seriously. GOAT.

Gawd, now I feel old. He had great hair.

The Big O with the big 'fro. Besides the hair, the man could flat out hit. A 17-year career that was “have bat will travel.”

Good.

I found this story funny, so I’m sharing.

Yu Darvish signs with the Cubs (pending physical), 6/$126M.