MLB 2018 - Hope for a 7-game WS so they'll play on Halloween

6 years? Ye gods. Not that they can’t afford it, but yikes.

He’ll be 38 when the deal ends. It’s… well interesting. It’ll probably be not great by the end, but hes a straight upgrade if it means less Lackey.

Just send him to the bullpen come playoff time and he’ll be fine, right?

Too soon man, too soon.

Though I suppose I’d really be more inclined to point at Carl Edwards Junior for crapping the bed.

So if Darvish gets 6 years at $21m a year that means Arrieta is worth what?

I don’t want to think about it -_-

Darvish is younger and has better stuff, no? Arrieta is probably in for something like 4/75.

You think? Arietta has the Cy, a WS ring, and some absolutely knockout pitches. His best year is better than Darvish, and with Boras no way I see him getting 4/75. 5/125 would be the floor in my estimation.

I simply don’t see him taking less than Darvish.

Age is closer than I thought (less than a year) and granted Arrieta’s best year was nuts, but he’s been going in the wrong direction for a few years now while Darvish’s underlying stats look significantly better over the last two years. I’ll come up a bit to 4/90 but Darvish does seem to be worth a bit more to me, yeah.

E: also if he gets more than Darvish either overall or AAV I’ll perform a reasonable humiliation of your choice.

Can you get a Chicago style hot dog in Minneapolis?

Darvish might be a year younger, but…Arrieta’s thrown 1,168 innings in the bigs. Darvish – between his career in Japan and in America – has over 2,000 innings pitched. There’s some mileage on that odometer.

Arrieta threw over 1100 in the minors and I am not sure that those are that much different than Yu’s particularly since MiLB pitchers tend to be on a MLB schedule give or take.

6 years is a lot but is 21/per really a big deal in an era when a QO is 17.4. Teams have so much money, and the Cubs have even more than most. The 6th year is mostly just the team getting an interest free loan on money that should be in the first 3. I mean they paid ancient Lackey 16 last year.

I am fascinated if Arrieta signs for more or less. The media buzz makes it seem like the Cubs prefered the devil they didn’t know but who knows the reality there.

BBRef says he threw 492, 70 after joining the Cubs on various rehab or tuneup stints.

And even if the JPPL isn’t quite MLB, it’s probably AAAA, somewhere between AAA and MLB quality. And Darvish has been pitching at that level or higher since he was 18. I mean, maybe his arm can handle that workload. That’s certainly going to be an interesting gamble to watch play out.

You’re right, my late night math skills are apparently terrible.

With Boras as his agent there is no way Arrieta will take a contract less than what Darvish got. If he isn’t signed by the middle of spring training I could see someone paying him big on a 2-3 contract, but it would still be for more per year than Darvish.

I know there’s a few Brisbee fans round these parts. He’s quitting the Giants blogging business, and moving to national baseball writing full-time. Our loss is your gain.

He just had to do it on Valentine’s Day didn’t he?

While it’s not quite in the category of Glenallen Hill injuring himself on a glass table during a spider-laced nightmare, or Vince Coleman missing an entire WS because the tarp machine attacked him, or Oddibe McDowell slicing open his hand whilst buttering a roll, but Travis Wood injured his non-pitching hand in a “crossbow accident”.

Image of a giant pin sticking out of his finger in case you needed a pre-lunch mental postcard:
https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/964538663198711808

Doesn’t say how it happened exactly, but I’m wagering he was holding his crossbow like The Road Warrior’s Gyro Captain when he pulled the trigger:

This guy got in a crossbow accident? What are the odds?

Busy Saturday.

Twins acquire Odorizzi from the Rays for a shortstop prospect that they could afford to trade.

Rays DFA all star Corey Dickerson for some reason, which…huh.

And Eric Hosmer signs an 8-year, $140m contract with the Padres. I’m sure that’s going to work out fine.