MLB 2020: No Labor Disputes Here! (yet)

Team doing the right thing here - made him rent a car and drive that long, boring stretch of I-80 to think about it. Cleveland is carrying 6 starters so possible they bench him for a start.

Never underestimate the idiocy and aura of invincibility that comes with being in your mid 20s.

The Marlins had 17 members of the starting roster test positive, and one then opt-out, so they had to come up with 18 players from the reserve squad (including two starting pitchers, and eight of 12 relievers) before they could start their season. They then tied a league record from the old days with eight different starting pitchers in a row. This bunch of benchwarmers & rookies is now 7-3, atop the NL East. Well, since this bizarre season* is bizarre, they are actually half a game behind the Braves, who are 11-6. But since the Marlins have a better winning percentage (.700 vs. .647), they are technically in first place. But they are also in second by half a game. “Math class is tough!” - Recalled Teen Talk Barbie

*I’m trying to get some traction for calling this the PPST instead of the “season.” The Pre-Playoff Seeding Tournament. Kind of like the NBA, which will have its Seeding Tournament when the extremely brief “regular season” ends. Then maybe the Play-in Tournament. Then the Playoffs.

Laureano was pissed after getting drilled twice, had some words for the Astros dugout and then Cintron incited the brawl with some choice words about Laureano’s mother.

In other news, some rumblings that MLB is going to try and semi-bubble for the playoffs, with Chicago, LA, and NYC being floated as possibilities.

Adam Plutko: not amused.

Man, I would be furious.

Yea, at this point I wouldn’t be sad if they traded Clev. He’s a good pitcher but has some serious character issues. Dude has the audacity to call himself a leader, then lets Plesac take the fall on his own while arguing that the guys in the locker room should take it easy on him - then it comes out later that Clev snuck out as well and he hangs out with the team and rides back on their plane the next night. Fuck him.

Cleveland is not messing around.

People smarter than me have done the math and this means neither will accrue a year of service time. Plesac’s ill-advised (and now deleted) Instagram video yesterday blaming the media surely didn’t help his case.

Good for the Cleveland baseball team. Those guys seem like they could use a lesson in empathy.

I think that the players deserve it, but on the other side the way MLB teams operate I wonder if the only reason they got the punishment they deserve was because the team saw the benefit that they would get.

Could be. It also helps that about half of their off days this season are crammed into this two week stretch so their need for a 5th starter is low, and they were already carrying a 6th as a long relief guy. On the other hand, reporting says they came to Detroit and had an open meeting with players and staff and the decision wasn’t made until afterwards. I think if their teammates had forgiven them they would have came back to the big league roster.

Gettin ugly over there in Cleveland.

Oliver Perez was the guy. And backed up by Francisco Lindor.

(Relatedly, I would happily watch a 30 for 30 on the career of Oliver Perez.)

Jazman with the icy daggers

Looks like someone’s gonna have some free time to join that star-studded lineup at the RNC

You gotta be careful. The Charlotte Hornets play-by-play guy can testify.

Meanwhile, on Trevor Bauer’s shoes today…

I am not sure how you “accidentally” use that word. I am also not sure how in today’s dangerously PC world, a professional doesn’t proof read his tweets before sending. I know it happens but if your job is on the line, you need to be smarter than this.

What a beauty both those guys are.

What’s kinda crazy is…he’s still on the air right now, broadcasting the game in progress. I mean, that’s not the crazy part; right now I’m sure the Reds are pretty much scrambling behind the scenes.

But the crazy part is, imagine you’re Thom Brennaman, and you’ve probably just gotten yourself fired because you’re a bigoted ass. You know that once the ball game ends, you’re likely to get a long suspension at best, but probably fired. How the heck do you stay focused on the game on the field?

Apparently MLB threatened to have Bauer yanked from the game if he wore the shoes.